Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale

Go down 
+8
Bearcastle
Saint-Oblas
Sparkeswood
Tacbob
GWhizz
David Grantham
Carl Hibbs
dewintondave
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Saint-Oblas

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 am

Really a nice piece of craftmanship! I assume you have a well-equiped shop, and sure you know how to use it!

I see that you too have difficulties in getting raw material. In France it is quite the same and I have sometimes been waiting months before being able to get some very common material, but I do not want to purchase 6m if I only need 20cm! I have sometimes to beg from craftman shops that are become rarer and rarer!
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 am

Tacbob wrote:
Just fantastic. You got a nice work shop.
Will you have space for the fuel tank in the loco?
How many castor oil do you add?
Thank you Lorenz! 
There's a lot of space inside the loco, it's huge!
I'm using an 18% oil mix

Saint-Oblas wrote:
Really a nice piece of craftmanship! I assume you have a well-equiped shop, and sure you know how to use it!

I see that you too have difficulties in getting raw material. In France it is quite the same and I have sometimes been waiting months before being able to get some very common material, but I do not want to purchase 6m if I only need 20cm! I have sometimes to beg from craftman shops that are become rarer and rarer!

Thank you!!  I have to buy 6m lengths too, but steel is cheap.  I've got a lifetime's supply of some stock.  Luckily brass comes in 3.6m lengths...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/dewintondave
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 7:56 pm

WOW! What progress!  Please, please some video soon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 12:48 am

GWhizz wrote:
WOW! What progress!  Please, please some video soon!

lol, we are some way off running the loco.  I'm starting on the side rods now. 

best wishes,
Dave
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 6:30 am

Here's the latest progress, the side rods fitted, a test run on the line - pushed by hand...
the motion is a bit tight, it needs a good run under power.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 7:30 am

Finally, I got the loco running again.  Last weekend I had lots of fun soldering up a small on-board fuel tank from a can.  It only holds about 40 mL, but it lasts for 20 minutes and can be topped-up when running.

Just keep filling until fuel comes out the overflow.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 DSC09858s

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 DSC09860s

I put a restrictor in the muffler oil drain so that not so much exhaust goes into the gearbox.  The gearbox fills up nicely with castor oil, and slowly drains away afterwards.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Dave,

That's great stuff. Congrats to your again running loco. I really like the idea of lubing the gearbox with the waste oil.
Is the castor oil already in the fuel or have you added it?
Where is your gearbox draining? Is there a overflow drainage or is it just leaking through the gaps and holes of the housing of the gearbox?
Your clutch is plain steel, right? What material is your flywheel? Aluminum?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 5:40 am

Tacbob wrote:
Hi Dave,

That's great stuff. Congrats to your again running loco. I really like the idea of lubing the gearbox with the waste oil.
Is the castor oil already in the fuel or have you added it?
Where is your gearbox draining? Is there a overflow drainage or is it just leaking through the gaps and holes of the housing of the gearbox?
Your clutch is plain steel, right? What material is your flywheel? Aluminum?

Thank you Lorenz,
Yes, the fuel contains the castor oil.  The fuel is 18% castor oil,
There is no official drain, it just seeps out the gaps at the bottom and onto the track bed.  It builds up to quite a depth in the sump and the gears seem to be running in it.
The clutch and flywheel are both steel.
Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 am

Great piece of craftmanship ! I wish I were able to build such nice mechanisms! If only I was able to use a lathe...but I do not know whether I would be patient enough to build a complete loco from scratch as you did. It is real nice. Do you plan to control it by RC? On one hand it would be easier and more realistice, on the other circuits and wires could "spoil" the neat pure mechanics.

Congratulations anyway!
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 9:20 am

Saint-Oblas wrote:
Great piece of craftmanship ! I wish I were able to build such nice mechanisms! If only I was able to use a lathe...but I do not know whether I would be patient enough to build a complete loco from scratch as you did. It is real nice. Do you plan to control it by RC? On one hand it would be easier and more realistice, on the other circuits and wires could "spoil" the neat pure mechanics.

Congratulations anyway!

Thank you!  I will keep it manual, I think.  I just need to secure the clutch lever when fully engaged and then it will be hands off operation

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:25 pm

Really nice film giving a good feeling for what´s been built. I won´t be selling my live steam anytime soon, but it´s good to watch the alternatives.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 6:20 am

I've been making multi-height couplings for the loco, these are chunky fabrications and have taken a long time...

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 20141024_174517

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 am

Sure you must have! But you made it! Iwould not mind too much the time, if I was sure to reach my goal as you did! Real nice job.
Just for a digression, in what part of New Zealand do you live in? I recently saw on TV a film taken in the Marlborough and Polarus sounds: it looked really fantastic. I had already seen beautiful mountain views but I did not expected to see so beautiful sea landscape: you sure live in a very beautiful country (but real far from us unfortunately!)
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 7:45 am

Saint-Oblas wrote:
Sure you must have! But you made it! Iwould not mind too much the time, if I was sure to reach my goal as you did! Real nice job.
Just for a digression, in what part of New Zealand do you live in? I recently saw on TV a film taken in the Marlborough and Polarus sounds: it looked really fantastic. I had already seen beautiful mountain views but I did not expected to see so beautiful sea landscape: you sure live in a very beautiful country (but real far from us unfortunately!)

I live in Auckland.  There sure are some beautiful sights in New Zealand, but we are so far away.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 3:16 am

Recently I've been concentrating on the exhaust system.  A manifold to turn the exhaust through 98 deg.  Then a huge box for the gasses to expand in, and then exhaust pipe going up the front middle of the cab in between the windows.  The exhaust box is all soft soldered together, and coated all over the inside surface with solder to protect the mild steel.  The exhaust box has a capacity of about 200mL.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 IMG_20141130_134913

There's the oil drain at the base of the exhaust box.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 IMG_20141130_140739

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 7:25 am

I've been sorting out the gear lever arrangement.  Here's a view through the cab door way.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 20141208_17490_s

The pins on the ends locate the levers in the right position.  The knobs in the middle are for fingers to push/pull the levers.  The two outer levers are forward (nearest), and reverse.  Each lever has an in-gear position and a out-of-gear position.  The two inner levers are for the different ratios.  First - Neutral - Third, and Neutral - Second. 

In the picture the loco is in First gear, but not in either Forward or Reverse.  This way the loco can be pushed along.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 8:01 am

THAT IS MECHANICS! I am completely amazed! Really professionnal. Congratulations.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Saint-Oblas wrote:
THAT IS MECHANICS! I am completely amazed! Really professionnal. Congratulations.

Thank you.

Had a great run yesterday.  It was to test the huge new muffler / silencer box attached to the cab firewall.  There's so much expansion, that the exhaust gasses are quite cold exiting the exhaust stack.  The muffler is very effective there's little exhaust noise.  However, there is a lot of mechanical noise from the motor itself, and there's a ringing noise from the muffler as it flexes, I'll put a stay in the middle to stop it.

The video was taken shortly after starting, I was draining off the oil until the good stuff started coming through, then reconnected a tube to the primary gearbox.  I topped-up the fuel tank three times with the engine running.  I felt like the run was about an hour.  The loco went up and down the short section of track in all three gears, third is really rather rapid! 

I measured some temperatures during the run with my eBay bought IR handheld thermometer: 
I got cylinder head temperatures of 150 - 190 deg. C (300 - 370 deg. F). 
And, the muffler box itself was only 70 deg. C (160 deg. F), which is lucky as it's only soft-soldered.

The engine wouldn't start with the exhaust stack fitted so I removed it for starting, it's a slide fit in the muffler.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 7:08 am

Very nice! I hope you will put a video of it running along. Your temperature analysis is a great concern to me: I always thought necessary to use hard-soldering and therefore, as a newcomer, was reluctant to start anything. The soft soldering gives me idea. But maybe the gases from a four strokes are coller than from a two strokes engine? (it seeems to me that Carl Hibbs always uses hard soldering).
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 8:16 am

Saint-Oblas wrote:
Very nice! I hope you will put a video of it running along. Your temperature analysis is a great concern to me: I always thought necessary to use hard-soldering and therefore, as a newcomer, was reluctant to start anything. The soft soldering gives me idea. But maybe the gases from a four strokes are coller than from a two strokes engine?

Thank you.  The manifold attached to the engine is hard-soldered.  The exhaust box is far enough away from the engine and big enough to expand the gasses to lose so much heat.  It was uncanny putting my hand over the exhaust flow, it was really quite cold.

I'm painting the exhaust manifold black today to radiate as much heat out of the engine as I can.

The engine is mounted direct to metal bearers which are screwed on to the side frames.  This pulls quite a bit of heat out of the engine too, along with the rich fuel setting.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 8:55 am

I've been having doubts about reusing the engine oil in the gearbox.  With the old set-up the oil came from the very hot muffler.  With the new set-up it's a lot cooler and solid droplets of water come down the tube with the oil.

I removed the lower gearbox cover, and this is what I found: The grey particles are metal fragments.  I spent hours deburring these gears by hand when I made them.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 IMG_20141214_203546

All the muck and gunk wiped off easily with a paper towel.  There is evidence of light erosion from where the oil sits in the trough, but no red rust. 
Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 IMG_20141214_203943

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 7:14 am

Hi Dave,

That's really great stuff. I really like it. The sound is nice and the exhaust flag looks really cool.
Is the new muffler empty or did you solder some metal sheets in to guide the exhaust flow?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 7:24 am

Hi Lorenz, the exhaust box is empty. I'm glad you like it.

Best wishes
Dave
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 11:00 am

I have the same question as Tacbob, how is design your muffler ?
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:29 am

Bearcastle wrote:
I have the same question as Tacbob, how is design your muffler ?

The muffler is just a great big hollow box with no baffles.  It's about 200 mL capacity.

The only special feature is that there are 4 holes near the end of the exhaust stack, and 4 holes near the end of the exhaust inlet tube.  I don't know if these have any positive effect, but the idea is that opposing sound waves can cancel each other.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 IMG_20141219_194227

Best wishes,
Dave.

Last edited by dewintondave on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 6:58 am

I experienced a technical issue with the engine the other day.  The engine started running rough, fuel mix was spitting out through the carburettor, then the engine stalled.  Afterwards there was minimal compression.  I found the solution on this excellent forum: Model Flying - OS FS70 tappet problem

The engine runs fine again now, but I'm thinking with the way I use the engine that I need a breather in the rocker cover.

Merry Christmas!
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next