Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rolling stock in foreign countries?

Go down 
+3
Carl Hibbs
David Grantham
mikeyh
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

Rolling stock in foreign countries? Empty
PostSubject: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Don't know if anybody has ever researched it but i would be interested if anyone knows of instances where one countries locos have been used in another country (if that makes sense). French engines in Germany,or whatever. I can then stop these clever dicks who say 'oh no, thats an Italian loco,would never be seen in France'

Mikey
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 6:17 pm

If I had not lent "Narrow Gauge Rails Through the Cordillera" to a friend I could give you an accurate answer for the Spanish narrow gauge but from memory the steam narrow gauge locos were sourced very roughly as follows:-

25% Germany
20% UK
10% Belgium
5% USA
30% Spain
10% Others

In the early years UK was predominant, then the Germans took over and finally the Spanish largely manufactured their own locos up to the end of steam in the 80's.

So you can see that it is possible to get away with virtually anything, locowise, on the Spanish narrow gauge and there were even ex Rhaetian Railway locos on the La Robla. 2C
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:40 pm

...And most certainly Billard (and Renault) railcars were used in Spain (and Greece). On the French VML forum there is a chap who has made some in G scale.

Baldwins, Alco-Cooke and Pershing rail equipment was used here in France during WW1 and of course the famous 'Liberation Mikados' which were built in the US by several manufacturers for WW2 and used in France until the end of steam.

There are many modern instances such the big German Henschel than runs on the Provence metre gauge...after it served in Spain.
Henschel
Back to top Go down
bruce

bruce

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 3:39 pm

Well... once you get to the "modern" era... you need look no further than, say, the Welshpool and Llanfair to see locomotives and rolling stock from all over Europe and beyond. But well before then German and Austrian stock moved about. Austrian U Class locos were to be found in various parts of the (former) Austro-Hungarian empire, German Heeresfeldbahn (ex-military railway) equipment found its way to Austria and beyond. Indeed one consequence of two world wars was locomotive stock all over the place, not all of which ever made it home. Post 1945, the class V51/V52 locomotives have had a very chequered career and some if not all have spent more time outside Germany, where they were bulit for DB systems, than they ever did inside their native country. I get the feeling, though I have no facts, that this may have been more common with narrow gauge than standard gauge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hdlr.moonfruit.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 4:10 pm

Wow! what a lot of interesting information has been forthcoming. i personally had no idea there was this much movement between countries(and not just as a result of the Wars).

Keep it coming!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 5:16 pm

So on my Austrian / German layout I can run anything except American with a cow catcher on the front. That’s me sorted!!

With the exception of Geoff’s live steamer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 5:39 pm

French Chuffed wrote:
So on my Austrian / German layout I can run anything except American with a cow catcher on the front. That’s me sorted!!

With the exception of Geoff’s live steamer
In preparation for the Open Weekend the Vendee Pacific has been entirely re-modelled and is now totally Continental in outline.
santa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 5:40 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Wow! what a lot of interesting information has been forthcoming. i personally had no idea there was this much movement between countries(and not just as a result of the Wars).

Keep it coming!!

mikey
Don't mention the war, some folks are a bit touchy about what happened to Napoleon
elephant
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 8:24 am

GeoffW wrote:
mikeyh wrote:

Keep it coming!!

mikey
Don't mention the war, some folks are a bit touchy about what happened to Napoleon
elephant

And Agincourt ! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 pm

...and the battle of Yorktown.... cheers

Rolling stock in foreign countries? Fra10

What is the connection then between that rare moment of victorious French military might and this picture.....?

Rolling stock in foreign countries? Buddmi10

Bringing us nicely back to the original thread...... Laughing
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:15 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
...and the battle of Yorktown.... cheers

Rolling stock in foreign countries? Fra10

What is the connection then between that rare moment of victorious French military might and this picture.....?

Rolling stock in foreign countries? Buddmi10

Bringing us nicely back to the original thread...... Laughing

A wild guess -

Signing of the 1918 Armistice ?????
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:23 pm

...Oh no.

The answer is in the picture.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 am

Nobody ever got the answer to this.
I thought I'd resurrect it as the new president is now in office.

The answer to the question...What was the connection?
Was 'Lafayette'.
The Marquis de la Lafayette was one the celebrated winning French commanders over the Brits along with George Washington at the battle of yorktown and the railcar was a called Budd 'Lafayette'. This was a rubber-tyred one-off copied from the Micheline railcar.

In turn the French borrowed/copied the techniques for constructing stainless steel coach bodies from Budd which are still very much in use today.

Eh voila ! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 11:32 am

Reminds me that the Clint Eastwood film "LAFAYETTE ESCADRILLE" hasn't had a proper DVD release yet .... only available in France apparently with French sleeve and reversed title ... and French subtitles.

http://www.amazon.fr/Lafayette-Escadrille-Tab-Hunter/dp/B000FBFWFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232451360&sr=1-1

Rolling stock in foreign countries? Lafayette-1

Suspect
Back to top Go down
hagen

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 12:55 pm

Locos and stock has been used across borders forever.
There where quite a few 'Italians', 'Brits' and 'Americans' here in Norway.

The British expeditionary force also had quite a few locos with them before they had to bail out for a bit.
That makes for quite a few interesting scenarios as many of these where used by the German forces and some even ended up in Russia.
The 'Pershing' as has been mentioned was actually among the more numerous types in use between the wars. Don't recall the number now. But they where also scattered across Europe after the war. Some ending up in Korea even (one of Which is now the #600 on Texas State Railroad).

British lines also purchased locos from abroad when local loco builders couldn't deliver, 'Lyn' being a good example.
Decauvilles have also been used all over the world from Jan Mayen, to the forrests of the USA to New Zealand. Same with Orenstein & Koppel locos.

The 'Italians' where among the best liked locos here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rolling stock in foreign countries?   Rolling stock in foreign countries? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rolling stock in foreign countries?
Page 1 of 1