Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Did I really make this?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

Did I really make this? Empty
PostSubject: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm

totally off topic, thread and even forum, these are a couple of pics of my N scale layout 'Lainten' (now safely packed away) I find it difficult to believe that only 18 months ago I made everything you see in this first pic (except for the maroon coach in the station) no wonder my eyes are so much better now!!!

Did I really make this? Article011

Did I really make this? Article012-1

Long live G scale!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 9:27 pm

For N gauge (or any gauge really) that's fantastic. I think you showed us this before somewhere although not these actual pics.

Quite happy to see some more if you have any.

In fact does anyone else model in other scales or gauges as well as 'G' ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Mikey, its a lovely model, but to be honest, I never really "got" N gauge.
I've been to shows and been treated to 9Fs pulling a hundred minerals,
but, for me, I couldnt see the point.....Of course that probably is the point!
When I was young, I did some OO but lost interest at around age....er...14 can't remember why..... bounce
Picked it up again when I was in my late 30s with O gauge, but just tinkered with that really.
I saw a Bachmann 4-6-0 at Warley and immeadiatly knew that large scale was for me.
All the O gauge stuff got Ebayed within a couple of months!
I'm slowly getting shut of 1:22.5 now though for 1:20.3.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 6:06 pm

I used to model in British outline N - in fact I've still got all my locos and stock - and apart from a mainline 20'x3' layout I also had a branchline termini 6' x 1' with protypical signalling and bell codes which was used at many exhibitions.

I think the point of N is that you are modelling a railway in the landscape. I planned my big layout on the basis of OO and that really gave it a look of space - the railway was only a part of the model. You didn't go for superdetail locos and stock (you couldn't unless you were especially talented) - you went for protypical length entire trains. A more "broad brush" approach to create the "whole". And a train of 12 Mk1s in maroon with a Deltic or a 40 (or even an A4) at the head really does look (and surprisingly sound) the works as it snakes around sweeping gentle curves........

But plan it like many of today's G railways - sharp curves and no transitions - and I agree that it is difficult to se the point.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 6:13 pm

I must admit I enjoyed modelling in N, mainly because as you say,you can have more prototypical train lengths, but for me the big advantage of switching to G is the ease on my eyesight!!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 pm

mikeyh wrote:
I must admit I enjoyed modelling in N, mainly because as you say,you can have more prototypical train lengths, but for me the big advantage of switching to G is the ease on my eyesight!!

Mike

And for my fingers. Is it just me or do other people have trouble picking up small objects and too frequently dropping things as you get older?

I can't believe I used to use 24BA screws in modelling at one time. Lucky lf can see and fiddle about with 1mm now.

It would be nice to see some more pics of other's small scale achievements here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:36 pm

24BA? Blimey, I thought 14BA was the smallest.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:02 pm

I think you're right actually John. I think they were 14BA Shocked
And they're small enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did I really make this?   Did I really make this? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did I really make this?
Page 1 of 1