Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... Empty
PostSubject: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am

... Following my tentative enquiry as to gendarmes, notebooks etc, I am able to reveal that I have this weekend made a start on a new figure (in fact I now have 4 on the go simultaneously).

The idea is for a gendarme, on the thinner side (not yet succumbed to the longer-term effects of smelly cheese, bread, and red wine) - studiously noting something down - on his clipboard of course (thanks again Mikey).

All I have so far is a mock-up, using bits of blu-tak to hold the limbs in some approximate position to get an idea for how the pose will look. Although you can't easily see it, there has been some minor surgery already - I have transplanted the left hand from a straight arm on to the crooked one I am intent on using, and it is pinned in place with some thin gauge brass wire for the time being.

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_1

Work still to be done:

• Trim away the moulding of the jacket front (which is currently 'undone') as well as the polo shirt style buttons. These will be replaced with a full buttoned-up jacket, with full-buttoned shirt front respectively - probably made from GS. There will also be a tie added. The collar moulding is fine and will remain.
  • Existing hat to be trimmed and reshaped to a normal 'kepi' style.
  • Face will be altered to give some sort of small, hitleresque moustache to give him a mean look - I see this guy being as being a traffic warden in a previous life! Mad
  • Add some small details to the outside, eg 'sam-browne' style belt, baton and pistol holster
  • Add a clip-board to be held in the left hand, of course!
  • Drill a small hole through the right hand, and fit a short length of thin gauge brass wire to represent a pen

So that's where we are so far - 'watch this space' as they say!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
pjti

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Quote :
# Trim away the moulding of the jacket front (which is currently 'undone') as well as the polo shirt style buttons. These will be replaced with a full buttoned-up jacket, with full-buttoned shirt front respectively - probably made from GS. There will also be a tie added. The collar moulding is fine and will remain.
# Existing hat to be trimmed and reshaped to a normal 'kepi' style.
# Face will be altered to give some sort of small, hitleresque moustache to give him a mean look - I see this guy being as being a traffic warden in a previous life! Mad
# Add some small details to the outside, eg 'sam-browne' style belt, baton and pistol holster

Blimey Clive , I don't dress meself that well.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Excellent Clive...
I love these little human adventures.

Where's this 'mec' going to 'posted' when he's done?
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 5:10 pm

carl hibbs wrote:

Where's this 'mec' going to 'posted' when he's done?
He'll be on his way to somewhere in France - I will leave it to the forum member concerned to expose himself - or not, has he sees fit!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Sacre Bleu !!

I'm not prepared to expose myself, even for some of Clive's fine figures !!!

I am however prepared to admit "c'est moi".

Yes I've commissioned Clive to produce two figures for me.

I'll let Clive break the news on the second figure when he's good and ready!

In the meantime I can't wait to follow progress!

Cheers Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Cheers, Brian. See, confession is good for you!

Regarding the email I sent yesterday, are you happy for me to proceed with my alternative suggestion for your second figure (the one I'd already started) or do you still want me to go with your original request?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 7:43 pm

You won't be disappointed Brian.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 1:04 am

A bit more progress on the Law-man...

So this evening, I mostly:

Carved away the jacket and shirt front detail, and cut and pinned the right arm into an appropriate position, as if poised to write something suitably important...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_2

Reapplied the jacket detail with Green Stuff, added a tie (also GS), and the Sam Browne style belt, cut from thin strips of v thin styrene sheet...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_3

Made a clip-board from some thicker styrene sheet, and re-attached the limbs with blu-tak to see how it all looked....

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_4

Then finally (for tonight anyway) made the kepi from Milliput, then put it all back together for another look...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_5

Some modest progress, but starting to take shape I think. Still need a pistol/holster, baton, hitler-style lip-warmer and a pen of some kind. And of course, attach the limbs and head to the body more permanently!
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 am

Clive, in respect of re-attaching limbs. Do you glue them or use miliput, and i presume you pin them too.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 11:36 am

Hi Clive

That's looking fantastic !

Can't wait for the next instalment.

Cheers Brian
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm

Cheers Brian, glad you like so far!

Patrick, I only use pinning/filling if I've had to cut any plastic away to get the pose how I want it. In the example above, the upper arms could be simply glued to the body with liquid poly, as the original join surfaces are intact. It might need a bit of filing down afterwards, possibly some Milliput to hide the join if it's that obvious. Basically, I don't use Milliput on it's own to hold parts together.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Nother stupid question.

Re: amputation and decapitation.

What tool do you use, I noticed that there is a very clean cut down ole matey the onion seller's left shoulder, I am thinking a razor saw.

How about leaving him as an amputee, a sort of war veteran story behind it all. He looks the part somehow.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 3:06 pm

Actually, for both these figures the body is moulded without arms, just a flat surface on which to glue arms of one's choosing - but otherwise, yes, a razor saw is normally used....

Strangely enough I remember as a kid seeing the rag-n-bone man (remember them!) having only one arm. He used to pull his cart along with his one remaining arm, never could fathom how he loaded/unloaded his cart. In this case, our onion-orientated friend will have both limbs, the other of which will be holding a string of onions, or maybe a pole on which will be balanced several strings of same... unless Brian has an opinion on the matter?
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 12:55 am

OK, so a bit more progress tonight - not much, I got side-tracked into motorising a g-scale push-bike Cool

Our copper now has a pen (brass wire), a mean-looking 'tache, a pistol holster....

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_6

... oh, and a baton, complete with wrist strap...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_6b
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 10:20 am

clive_t wrote:
OK, so a bit more progress tonight - not much, I got side-tracked into motorising a g-scale push-bike Cool

OOOOps Clive

I pm'd you before reading this thread.

Sorry Brian
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 1:36 am

Tonight, more progress - figure is done, awaiting spray primer...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_7
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 3:04 pm

A lull in the weather (ie no sh*te of any kind falling from the sky) has allowed me the relative luxury of taking some shots outside. The figure has now been spray-primed:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_8

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_8b

As expected, we have exposed one or two areas of unevenness in the way the Milliput was applied and worked. No problem though, they can be sanded down so that the joins will be invisible once painted.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 11:14 am

And after a marathon painting sesh last night/wee hours of this morning, here's our man, pretty much complete:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_9

True to form, he was found this morning, indulging in a bit of harassment of the local peasantry:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Onion_Johnny_8b
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 11:54 am

In French they just say "chapeau" when someday does something very well and with skill.

A bit like "I take my hat off to you".

So........my hat is off.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Excellent Clive to your usual high standard!

mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 1:48 pm

gendarme : " Monsieur - tu ne voie pas les personnes qui volles ton spokes "

OnionJohnny : Pardonnez moi , j'ai le pleu de mes yeux parce que ces onions, je ne vois pas rien.

Translation - g :Ello,Ello,Ello - Sir, did you see the persons what stole your spokes ?

OJ : Sorry and all that, i had raining of the eyes (tears), because of all these bloody onions.

Last edited by pjti on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 10:48 pm

I see the figures are coming on famously.

Can't wait to get them!

keep up the good work!

Brian
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Here's what I imagine will be the last ever shot of these 2 together on English soil...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... BB_Gendarme_Onion_Johnny

But having watched our onion-seller friend disappear into the station (for reasons as yet unknown) the copper realises there are bigger fish to fry:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... Snogging_couple_with_gendarme

Plainly 'trading without a permit' comes a pretty poor second to 'failure to control hands in a built-up area'!

Yes folks, watch out for "YAF Part 3 - Snogging couple" coming soon to a forum near you!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 2:40 pm

I understand they are to be repatriated "bientot".
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Indeed, I await your postage instructions!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme... Empty

Back to top Go down

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 1 - Another gendarme...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next