Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... Empty
PostSubject: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 6:52 pm

Here we go then!

As per Mr Mikey's request, I have as of last night embarked on this latest adventure. A French couple fishing! Here are our two volunteers, from the Presier 'standing passengers' set - you might recognise the gentleman from previous adventures in figure-bashing...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_1

When I get round to starting the female figure she will be the subject of a separate thread. In this thread I shall concentrate on progressing the gentleman figure - he will be sitting on something yet to be decided but possibly a large fishing creel.

So with that in mind, here's where we are so far. Not much in the way of progress I admit, but it is early doors after all:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_french_fisherman_c1910_2

I Have the arm available that will hold the rod (insert any smutty joke of your choosing here)

I envisage this gentleman will be wearing quite formal dress (by our standards) - including one of those stiff high 'detachable' collars and a suitable tie, and a straw boater hat with a black ribbon of some kind. From pictures I have seen, the fashion for men around this time was for 'nickerbocker' type trousers, which look like they end at the knee and with stocks from the knee downwards. Mikey, you're the man in the chair with this, if you want something else then shout out - the earlier the better!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm

you carry on Clive, I shall enjoy watching this new challenge!!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 pm

OK so this evening I have been trying a few 'mock-ups' with Blu-tak holding the limbs in position, and I think I have arrived at a pose that will look moderately interesting, and more importantly, believable:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_3

One hand holding the fishing pole, the other shielding our hero's eyes from the glare of the sun, convinced as he is that something about which Herman Melville might wax lyrical, lurks just beneath the surface... OK fess up, you needed a Google search to work out what I was talking about, didn't you!

The rod is made from Milliput, by rolling a lump of it exceedingly thin, and leaving it to dry. I guess a length of thin brass wire would serve such a purpose too.

Mikey, for the 'wife', I have a vision of her holding a rod in one hand (yes, yes, very funny....) and in the other a fish what she might have just caught? You OK with that?
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 12:40 am

Last bit of progress for the night - the limbs are now drilled and pinned:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_4

Note that the right hand is pinned with thin brass wire, on account of the hand was too small to have any larger holes drilled in it. No problem, once the Milliput has been applied to the gaps and allowed to set, it will be quite secure.

Incidentally, the arms have been donated by some anonymous German track workers
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 6:52 am

Excellent Clive. as long as shes not holding moby dick in one hand!! Looking good

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 am

mikeyh wrote:
as long as shes not holding moby dick in one hand!!
*snigger*
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 1:00 am

Further progress tonight - gaps have been filled and some 'folds' pressed in to the Milliput. Looks like our man has been busy too!

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_5

OK I admit, I had some spare Milliput left over after filling all the gaps, so I made some fish.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 6:27 am

He is really taking shape now Clive, i love watching the character of these figures coming out.

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 8:12 am

G scale fish...with eyes...and tails

You're mad...as a fish
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 12:49 am

More progress on our man this evening:

• Dremeled the Milliput-filled areas to remove the more obvious lumps and bumps (of which there were many!)
  • Pared away the plastic 'trousers' moulding from the lower legs, to leave the impression of trousers ending at the knee
  • Removed the existing collar and tie moulding
  • Applied a stiff collar made from a strip of thin styrene sheet
  • Applied some banding round the bottom of the knee to delineate the bottom of the knickerbockers (same styrene sheet)

Here's the result:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_6
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 4:44 pm

OK so whilst we were about our business with the GS on the other figure, I added some details to the bloke figure:

Added a tie
Added shoes (or at least the impression of some)
padded out the bottoms of the knickerbockers
Added the bits of jacket that I found myself cutting off during the initial surgery
Added a rather unconvincing hair-piece (actually it's meant to be proper hair with a side parting)
Added a moustache

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_7
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Err he looks like he needs to pee Clive.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 7:49 pm

I like the hairstyle Clive!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 12:28 pm

pjti wrote:
Err he looks like he needs to pee Clive.
Patrick, that's nothing compared to what my dear wife suggested he was doing!

Any road up, we have made further progress this week - not much, but then there isn't much left to do with this figure. I thought it about time we gave this fella the grey primer treatment, to see how he looked - and while I was about it, I set to making a boater-style hat out of thin styrene sheet:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_8

I made it separately so that you could decide for yourself, Mikey, how rakish to make the angle of the brim! E.g:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_8b

I used a small amount of Milliput to hide some obvious uneven-ness in the bottom of the nickerbockers, but that will be smoothed down and painted and thereby rendered invisible.

I still need to make something like a creel big enough for him to sit on, but that can be done separately - basically this guy is ready for the paint shop!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Lucky man...I've just seen his wife. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 4:18 pm

superb Clive, these two are going to look great on the side of the river!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 10:17 am

Here's yer man, painted up (not a particularly good photo, as it's too bright!):

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_fisherman_c1910_9

I have constructed a basic 'creel' out of styrene sheet, but I need to work out how to give the impression of 'wickerwork'... I have an idea to make an embossing tool in a very shallow 'V' shape and press that into soft Milliput, in the manner of ordinary brickwork. I shall conduct some trials...

One thing the Hawk-Eyes amongst you will have noticed, is that before painting I added a shirt cuff (from thin styrene sheet) to his left arm, as it looked a little too much like a workman's arm as it was.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 am

superb Clive! I think after seeing his dress he will be Monsieur Jacques BENET, the entrepreneurial owner of the papermill, enjoying a relaxing day off!

BENET-en francais- simpleton

nice work

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 pm

Well, here's the creel... some bits of plasticard glued together:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_Creel1b

OK, so I made a removable lid:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_Creel1

I made a small embossing tool out of scrap plasticard, to simulate the look of wickerwork when pressed into soft Milliput:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... Wickerwork_embossing_tool

And this is the result (so far):

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_Creel2

I think if we employ the 2ft rule (ie don't look at it too closely!) it should give the impression of a wickerwork creel...
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 10:57 am

Basic creel completed:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_Creel3

Still need to do a simple strap - probably out of GS for flexibility... then a lick or 2 of paint, and it's a done deal...
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey! well impressed with the wickerwork. I was wondering how that would turn out.

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Here it is, the creel thing (see what I did there?)

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_Creel4

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_Creel4b

The strapping and the hinges were made from GS, the buckle was made from very thin copper wire.

Here it is, in use:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_Fisherman_c1910_10

Having had limited success with fishing off the end of a giant garden bench, our two intrepid fisher-persons decide to try their luck at the nearby Water's Edge resort...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_Fisherman_c1910_10b

However, their arguing and bickering over who had caught the biggest/most fish did not go un-noticed for long...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... MH_French_Fisherman_c1910_10c
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 6:47 pm

Well done Clive. they're (almost) too good to put on the layout!!. Hope you're still taking orders, we've got another figure in mind. I'll leave it for a couple of weeks!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Hope you're still taking orders, we've got another figure in mind. I'll leave it for a couple of weeks!!
Well it might take me a lot longer to do the next one, as amazingly, after 9 and a half months 'between contracts', I actually start a new job tomorrow - until end of May at least. So my weekdays will no longer be my own - but on the plus side, I'll be getting paid again! Woo hoo!!!!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm astonished at the increasing quality of these figures. This couple plus the accessories are truly the best yet.

Sadly I have to report a small problem though. Nuncio Grisoni here has lost his bottle!
Yes. 'Tis true he was holding a bottle of '51' Pastis and somebody has swiped it.

I will defy all sanity by hunting round the station area this week for a G scale bottle of Pastis.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910... Empty

Back to top Go down

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Part 4 - a French Fisherman, c1910...
Page 1 of 1