Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE

Go down 
+6
GWhizz
Bearcastle
Sparkeswood
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
David Grantham
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Bearcastle

Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:36 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Mabuchi RS-755SH-3570

max efficiency current 1.96Amp at 7900r/min ..
Torque 420g-cm / 41.2mN-m
@ Stall 12Amp .. Torque 3000g-cm / 294mN-m
Body Dimensions...Length 60mm.. Dia 43mm.. Weight 272grams
Spindle 5mm dia x 15mm long

What say you Carl.

Might just be suitable. If it takes 1.96 amps to operate it efficiently it will generate less, probably around 1.6 amps.

Did you get this motor cheap?

I tried a few cordless drill motors but they were a bit on the low limit for generating current.

You can get the gloplug engine to idle at around 2k with a bit of tweeking. I found out a lot by accident.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Yes it was on ebay new today for £5 so at that price I bought it just to get a start.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 10:57 am

£5 is good a buy for a quality motor that size.

Can you test it on a bench?

I would be interested to see what it can chuck out.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Carl, I will send you the results when I have made a coupling, mounted the the engine/generator and had a play with running in the engine. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

The Mabuchi I bought does not seem to have a current data sheet so it is probably an old one but at that price it was worth a gamble.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Found this source of motors 15 mins down the road from my place

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/BACKPAGE.pdf

The 900 might be ideal.

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/stuff1.php

David
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 pm

Interesting links David

Don't quite know why I was looking as not in market for a motor, but did you see the smoke units on the same page!

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/SMOKERS.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Brian, thanks for that, I had not noticed it.

Additionally there are some interesting circuit diagrams (for boats) in the documentation.

If anyone wants any motors or components I would be happy to fetch and carry.

David
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 9:21 am

Carl,

any recommendations regarding aligning the two drive shafts. I have made a brass collar so should be able to measure generated voltage in the next few days.

Did you line up by eye or use any scientific techniques ?
Did you try floating the generator and just restraining its rotational tendency ?

I hope your move is progressing well.

David
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 12:43 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Carl,
Did you try floating the generator and just restraining its rotational tendency ?

David

Yes, after trying unsuccessfully a number of different couplings and bolting down solid both engine and motor I used a thick heavy duty brass sleeve grub screwed to respective shafts.

I then bolted down the gloplug engine solidly but left the electric motor to float a little in all directions. I did this with just 4 steel bolts and nyloc nuts with the motor sitting on a 3mm dense spongey neoprene plastic mat. You could use a piece off an old mouse mat.

And yes I just lined the two up pretty much by eye although making sure the gloplug engine shaft was perfectly parallel and square to chassis base.l
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Project stalled at present due to unavailability of power bogies.

There does not seem to be a suppplier of suitable 32mm power bogies. The only ones I could find are worm geared and these do not apppear to work successfully in pairs due to the lack of thrust bearings or excessive lateral play on the worm.

If anyone knows of a supply or a way of converting 45mmm power bogies please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 4:24 pm

I don't what you have tried so far but would bogies from a 'cheap' gauge diesel be any good?

There's one on e bay right now with a couple of hours to go.

O gauge diesel
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 5:22 pm

How do you do that Carl, I have been looking on ebay for 4 weeks with no success and you just pull one out of the hat.

Thanks,
David
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 7:03 pm

I see the bidding has ended. Did you get it David?
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Carl, I checked with a couple of 0 gauge friends who said that the Lima mechanism is poor for 0 gauge and useless for 32mm so I did not bid.

I have 2 good Essel bogies but they do not work well in tandem on any kind of gradient. Essel say it is a known problem and I guess is something to do with the lateral play on the worm drive and it causes the loco to vibrate and judder. New Esel bogies do not use worm gears.

I can continue the testing with just one bogie but will need the power of another at some stage. Also I can try turning one bogie thru 180 degress to see if having the worms facing the same way reduces the problem.

It never occurred to me that a suitable 32mmm bogie would not be available but there again Locomotion is the only 32mm bogie diesel on the market.

Thanks again for your help
David
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 pm

There are other sources David.

Have you tried the following,

ETS trains

East Lancs Models
sells O gauge trams inc the ETS power unit for £65

E hobbies

They also sell a Lionel diesel $85 but I don't know whether this has 2 motor bogies.

And any old Bachman (now Williams) O gauge US diesels.

Also Atlas and K line spring to mind too.

There's one on e bay for $80

K line diesel e bay

However if you want the best in O gauge motorising (at a price...) try Munz
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 am

Thanks for all those options Carl, I will take a look.

I guess the main issue will be the variation in wheel standards, between O gauge and SM32, so replacement wheels will probably be needed.

Thanks again,

David
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 am

Lionel stuff - especially older is coarser than others.
So to is ETS.

I will have a look round here too. O gauge (echelle zero) is very popular and sometimes you find cheap stuff at 'brocantes'.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 8:00 pm

All outdoor work on the GVC suspended until 2011 and most staff transferred, from this evening, to building a live diesel.

Carl,

I have been looking at the Maplins site to find out what kind of diodes are required to protect the starter battery and speed controller. There appears to be many types like Zener, rectification, signal, silicone etc etc. Can you please advise what type I need.

Tx
David

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 pm

David,

May I extend my heartiest good wishes and encouragement to the staff engaged on this most serious and rewarding project.

I too am engaged in earnest endeavour with all things 'nitro'. The first of 3 new engines (a Kyoshi .15) arrived today and a new brass chassis is under construction.... bounce

Diodes.....Welsh poets.

You will need a chunky rectification type.
Looks like the highest current 'normal' type they do is P600 series. These are rated at about 5 amps I believe and should be ok. The suffix letters normally refer the voltage rating, 'J' I think is about 50volts which will be all right.

I am using a bank of 6 for an experimental brushless motor rectifier.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 8:16 am

I've just thought that if you can't see want you want at Maplins I will send you a couple in the post.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks Carl.

I have to go to Maplins for a whole host of bits today but if they are out of stock I will give you a call.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 am

Carl what is the size and CC of the engine ?
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi David
I would love to see some photos of your project if possible?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Anton,

First of all congratulations on your excellent live diesel which I think is a considerable achievement and runs very nicely. Well done.

I restarted my live diesel project only a couple of days ago having given up all outside work for the winter.

My spec was to build a large and brutish (for 750mm gauge) bo-bo freelance diesel with enough on board battery power to be used either as a live diesel or as purely a battery powered electric model; a real hybrid. Additionally the objective was to build the loco where possible from existing components in the bits and bobs box.

As someone with virtually no understanding of electronics or nitro motors I have been helped considerably and inspired by Carl's efforts.

So far I have built a chassis and mounted 2 old Essel power bogies, a battery, a new ASP15 and a new dc motor, but as yet it has never been powered up/started. I intend to rectify this in the next few days when I have completed my short self learning course entitled "the idiots guide to multimeters".

Finally in answer to your question. There are some pictures of my live diesel in the section on Members Railways in the section "Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga". Alternatively you can get there from the Spanish Loco pictured on the CGT home page and select David's railway.

David

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:09 am

Looks interesting

http://www.justengines.unseen.org/acatalog/On_Board_Glow.html

I presume on the KISS principle one ought to ask what is the problem in having the glow plug permanently lit if there is enough battery power on board.

My local model shop says it will wipe out the glow plug but this is contradicted by many forum comments. I will soon find out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next