Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I might be making a start soon.

Go down 
+5
fm12
mikeyh
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
pjti
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pjti

I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 8:01 am

Therew as a lot of good input to this thread so I thought I would continue with it rather than start a new one.

Six months later I have finally made a small start despite the fact that I bought the wood last November.

That was the first mistake really, a good 50% of my boards have not so much warped as twisted beyond use as track bed. I can probaly use it as firewood or something.

Second thing, erm, dunno how this happened really, the boards are a bit erm narrow.
Based on the known fact that we run 45mm track I bought 90mm boards, thinking that it would give me a nice "spare" 45 mm clearance. Reality is that 45mm track is pretty close to 90mm wide, mmmmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 11:20 pm

I set myself a target date of 1st June to run a loco. Phew just made it, lots of tidying and extra bits to come but I have my loop at last - Unofficial Inaugarul !1st run on the Picante Line
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:32 am

Well done Patrick

A very smooth and accomplished first run. That track looks nice and level (unlike mine) and I love the creative use of Spanish tiles, bricks and pipe!

I quite like the look of the "brassed off" Edrig as well.

Keep the pics coming, can't wait to see it develop.

bon chance
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 5:50 am

Well done Patrick but can we (I) have some photos? We dont have broadband here yet and dial-up is only 34 kps. takes over half an hour to load a video so we dont bother, but well done anyway!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 8:51 am

You could change the title now Patrick to 'have made'.
You have done a lot me than me....
Curious to see your garden too. How much land do you have for and not for the trains?
Edrig looks neat too with the mods.

mikeyh wrote:
Well done Patrick but can we (I) have some photos? We dont have broadband here yet and dial-up is only 34 kps. takes over half an hour to load a video so we dont bother, but well done anyway!

Mikey

36k is a scandal in this day and age, a pigeon is faster. Should be at least 56k anyway for a clean analogue line. Have you tried 'Numeris' RNIS (ISDN) if it's still available from FT.

That would give you a guaranteed clean, super-fast digital 128k (2 x 64k channels) both ways and is often better performance than a 1024 (1meg) ADSL line.
It would certainly enable you to watch most compressed videos in real time.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 10:47 am

For mikey - a couple of pics or three while I| remember. (Thumbnails)

This shows some of the "bricks" refered to - I liked the look of those long flat ones, they are 1 metre by 3cm thick - the width is enough to take (just) two sid by side tracks. Saves a lot of levelling work - in theory. I also got some that are used for wine racks I suppose, they will represent viaducts if I get that far.
I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 531sm10

Side view of Edrig, the bare brass is because \i do not know the Spanish for" brass etch primer please", nor do I know where I might get it from, it's the same story with copper grease or anything similar despite me trying to train Maria in these things.
I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 Dscf0511

Mods include , steam blowoff valve removed and replaced with a globe valve, small bore pipework to front of cylinders to look like venting draincocks.

"L" shaped handle soldered onto gas valve to look like a brake handle ?? , it also gives very fine control on gas flow.

I swapped the safety with the filler for no real reason, I had seen it done to a Edrig in Garden Rail - actually with the cab fitted it makes filling up a lot easier - I soldered up the safety because it was so annoying affraid

I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 Dscf0510

The cab was knocked up ages ago - I have since found that it is much easier if I just drop it into place so it will be loose fitted (ish). I added smokebox sides as an experiment and like the look, they need to be silver solderd in place (I think the lubricators looka bit small, but they are used to bolt it all together). In time the whole plot will be done over with BBQ paint, but that won't be until I am happy with any modding that might happen.
Also a Spektrum 2.4ghz rc - hmmmmm 90 euros at last years Dortmund Show - then I find cheaper ones at about £30 are available. Actaully the 2.4 ghz thing is a well worthwhile jobbie, soooooooooo much smoother than my old 27mhz system. Which also cost me about 90 euros, I am broke now !!

(Carl - don't read this bit)
The burner has got a slice of stainless mesh shoved up it, I think it makes it quieter cos I can hear chuffs now. Unfortunately the video camera still picks up some roar so maybe it's not quieter. I get so involved that I have yet to actually time any steamups, again I think there is a slight improvement, I am currently using mix gas - and I can set the gas really low and run at 20 - 30 psi I guess, slow running is excellent.

(Carl - read this)
Re:Safety valve - only joking before you have a stroke.

Yesterday was a DCC experiment day - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - more on that later
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 11:19 am

Appreciate that Patrick. I can see now just how much work you have done under the scorching Spanish sun (its 35 here so gawd knows what it must be where you are)!
those 'bricks ' are brilliant, so useful for many railway applications, ready made platforms as well.

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Just playing catch-up a bit here - great video Patrick, i like the Edrig bash too. Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
pjti

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Tragedy strikes at the Picante Line.

Spanish News has revealed that the driving force behind the famed Picante Line has suffered a terrifying death.

]I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 Edrigm12

The remains of Carlos the driver and founder of the Picante Line were found a few metres away from the line and round the corner by the pear tree. In a twist of fate this was on the day after the inaugarul runs on the new line. Carlos was recently seen hanging precariously from the cab of his beloved steam engine, it is thought that he slipped and fell. Witnesses have said that they thought he was ok and he was seen standing at the edge of the track, possibly surveying the bridge ramp.

An autopsy has been carried out, details and indeed the body parts are sparse - it would seem that the body was headless, handless and footless, although a bit of foot has since been found.
Freinds and colleagues are shocked by their loss - "we will continue with Carlos' dream, its what he would have wanted". One freind who remains anonymous said ," Carlos was a very wiry character, I think his killer must have realised this".

I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 530sm10Not for the squeamish

Police state that " a small brown dog is helping with our enquiries in this matter and also in respect of other missing items , we will see what comes to pass - we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this unfortunate incident" .

Killer dog held by police
I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 Dscf0410
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Poor old Carlos. Hope the dog gets his just desserts!! nice one Patrick Laughing Laughing Laughing

mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 7:08 pm

The thumbnails posted here won't link to the full size image for me. Its the same on other threads. I get a 'Not Authorized' notice.

Carl? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:16 pm

Well done Patrick. A great start and a nice video, with an amazingly realistic looking dog.

David.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I might be making a start soon.   I might be making a start soon. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I might be making a start soon.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2