Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...

Go down 
+2
Paulus
KleineDicke
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Empty
PostSubject: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Well, I took the opportunity of the Holidays to finally begin my own permanent garden railway. I finally got SWMBO to agree to it by pointing out to her the new railway would allow her to have her patio free of rails. I also had to promise to build a windowseat for the Cats. Anyway, we had some nice weather (cold by Houston standards, but mostly rain-free), so I did get good start.

I chose this as the site for my beginning - tracks to circle the trees. The area I live in was once a commercial tree farm for a timber company, so there are many tall pines and oaks. The plan is to eventually build up the center into a graden of sorts. It is/was a flower bed, but as you can see, not many flowers there now. So the track and roadbed will form the border of the bed.
It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0110

This is the plan I am working from - in very basic form. I tried to keep it simple for starters. I do plan to add another siding or two. The "main line" uses R2 curves with R1's used only on the siding(s) , but I'm thinking about a small inner loop around the single tree, since I have a lot of R1 track laying about. I haven't decided on the power yet - but I will probably have the rails powered although many of my locos have been converted to battery power.
It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Img-1010

Because we get some very heavy rain storms (3-4 inches in a day is not unusual) and the drainage is not very good, I decided to raise the roadbed. After thinking it out, I originally planned to use leftover lumber from a fence I tore down (actually Hurricane Ike tore the fence down; I merely disassembled the pieces). The standard 1X6 fence picket (actual width is 5 3/8") is a good fit for LGB track. After further thought, I bought new pickets rather than reuse the old, since the pickets are cheap (about $1.25 each in treated pine) and it just didn't make much sense to build a new railway with old lumber. Using my compound miter circular saw (one of my favorite power tools),
It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0111

I cut the pickets into individual track legnths (e.g. 600mm for a straight section) and mitered the ends of the curved sections 15 degrees. To join the sections and to raise the roadbed, I chose treated landscape timbers. These timbers are roughly 3"x4" and are 8 ft long. The are flat on top and bottom (you can see the profile of the timber in the above photo of the saw.), and are also quite cheap - about $2.50 each. I cut the timbers into 6 inch lengths to form the railbed support. After cutting,I have three basic shapes/size to work with (it's difficult to see in the photo, but the longer piece is for the curves and has the 15 degree miter on each end):
It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0112

The rest was mainly laying down the pieces and attaching (with exterior grade screws) them to the supports. At the end of the first day, this is my progress. I had to stop because I ran out of screws and needed to cut more lumber.
It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0113

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0114

The second day I was able to complete the basic loop, and here it is.
It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0115

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0116

More to come - next step is to level the roadbed out and add the roadbed for passing siding and perhaps another siding or two. And of course, laying track. I'll be posting progress from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:10 pm

It looks like a good start Bill! I'm very interested to see further progres on your railway so keep us posted!
Can't wait to see the little railbus making its rounds through that garden. : lol:
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:13 pm

o i dont know!! cheers
we ALL stared at the beginning .. and its a great start!! reminds me of lazy grange bay 1
It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Layout_zpsc1986d4b
Back to top Go down
http://www.lazygrangebay.co.uk/
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Good to see another railway in the making.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:18 pm

A nice day here in Houston yesterday (except for a brief rain shower), so I got a bit more construction in on my railroad.

First, the roadbed for the passing siding:
It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0119

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0118

Then I laid down some track to check fitment:

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0121

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0120
Obviously, I'm a few tracks short of what I need. I have plenty of curves, but I need more straight sections. I'll also need turnouts (points) for two additional sidings. I also plan to add a small inner loop around the single tree. It will have r1 curves - primarily for my autorail. (Scope creep rears its ugly head!) Time to go shopping on eBay.

My Spreewald can't wait to do the circuit.

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Imag0122

As you might notice, There are quite a few leaves on the ground. This might prove to be a headache in the future, but there really isn't any place on my property where there aren't falling leaves. These particular leaves come from a "Live Oak" tree, which, unfortunately, sheds leaves pretty much year 'round. I'll have to build some sort of rail mounted leaf blower.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi Bill
Yes leaves are a perennial problem, however the fact that you have your rails elevated above the general ground level will help. I find leaves accumulate in the low spots and cuttings, and particularly once wet, hard to remove, so try and avoid spots like that if you can!

BTW great start to the railway!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Some great progress Bill!

There must be some workable solutions to find on the leaves problem (besides a chainsaw).
Pehaps something like this: https://youtu.be/REZG3YVL48o

I also remembered a layout that had simple covers over tracks that were removed before running and placed on afterwards on the spots were many leaves fell.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 pm

That's very enterprising and an advantageous way of laying the track foundations.
I don't know that there is any satisfactory solution to leaves (as Nitwit Rail will justify...) except to build indoors! The idea of a leaf blower sounds good though and could even double as a snow plough. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
That's very enterprising and an advantageous way of laying the track foundations.
I don't know that there is any satisfactory solution to leaves (as Nitwit Rail will justify...) except to build indoors! The idea of a leaf blower sounds good though and could even double as a snow plough. Laughing
How about a glow engine propelling a ducted fan, would drive the loco and clear the leaves at the same time, also cut out all that electric jiggery/pokery that Carl loves. Would need a skirt something like a hovercraft though !!!!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Carl Hibbs wrote:
How about a glow engine propelling a ducted fan, would drive the loco and clear the leaves at the same time, also cut out all that electric jiggery/pokery that Carl loves. Would need a skirt something like a hovercraft though !!!!
Great minds think alike. I was mulling exactly that solution over in my mind, although it will probably have to go onto my list of things to be done later.

BTW, Carl, a snow plow isn't a big concern in Houston. Maybe I'll loan one of you guys my prototype to try as a snow blower.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Maybe something like this (pushed in reverse) would do the trick:

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Snoopy10

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 2:39 pm

More progress.... The rails I bought on eBay have arrived and I was able to complete the circuit.
Image hosted by servimg.com

I also got another turnout and started on a siding; I think this will eventually be covered with a shed to keep a train out of the weather when not in play.

I made an inaugural run and will post movies of same once I get them edited. Hold on, Paul; it includes the railcar making the loop. cheers

Still lots to do, including leveling, especially at the ends of the loop, which should be evident once you see the movies.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Here's the video. Editing didn't take as long as I thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgj7KdmYWh0&feature=youtu.be

I have uploaded a newer better version.

Enjoy.

Last edited by KleineDicke on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Nice video Bill! Great to see some trains running in your garden finally. And indeed to see my favourite intercontinental railbus making his rounds so baldly. cheers

By the sounds of it, some of the cars badly need a drip of oil lol!

That inaugural run is a good idea. Gives to oppertunity to change the direction of the trains easely.

Paul
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Great start Bill, your garden looks a good deal drier than mine.

I guess you haven't been experiencing the "Monsoon" conditions we've been having this winter It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... 641182
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 am

Monsoons are normal here. It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... 693881That's why my roadbed is elevated. We are, however a bit behind on rain since last year.
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 6:42 pm

allways nice to see trains running, brings it to life, and makes it worth while..
Back to top Go down
http://www.lazygrangebay.co.uk/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:38 pm

I re-edited the video and it's larger now. Check it out (imbedded above).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgj7KdmYWh0&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...   It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start... Empty

Back to top Go down

It isn't the Lazy Grange Bay, but it's a Start...
Page 1 of 1