Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II

Go down 
+2
mikeyh
mike
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II Empty
PostSubject: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Mr Duffy requested a bridge to gover the newly instigated lake at Lazy Grange Bay

After much "umming and aahhing", measuring and research, work commenced.

Mikes bridge needs to be 42" - That's 1066.8mm....

Needed 2 off 20mm x 40mm rectangulat steel tubes - Guess what? - They don't stock this size in the UK - So got 2 x 20mm x 20mm and welded 'em together

Pic below shows welded , then filled with car body filler, then with a spread of cellulose filler

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9106

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9107

Next up was to mark up for horizontal supports (It'll come clearer when I get nearer to completion

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9108

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9109

Hacksaw on the marked out lines 6mm deep

Then attack with the angle grinder to remove metal between hacksaw cuts

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9110

Note:- I put me glasses on - Not to see more clearly, but to protect my eyes

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9114

One set of uprights brazed into place

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9115

Another 10 uprights to do and then some paint - NEED to find some stainless steel / aluminium mesh for the walkways

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9116

Latest update so far

Needs a spot of rubbing down and filling first and then on with the paint

Need to make the walkways next

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9119

Here it is, painted up with that yucky "Ford Signal Green" that Mike bought

Bloody 'orrible it is

Never mind - got a better colour to go over the top

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9124

Just made the first of the 10 pieces I'll need to create the walkways.

Not difficult to do - Just time consuming...

Full length of one piece

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9127

And a close up - I've used the mesh that you can get for doing car body repairs. Would have liked to have made just 2 full length walkways......

BUT - 1250mm x 300mm of 5 x 3mm aperture = £23! The mesh I've used was £1.69 each for a piece just a bit smaller than A4.

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9126

'Tis finished

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9131

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9130

And to give a sense of size

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II IMG_9136

And finally a couple of pictures of the bridge in place

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II P1030873

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II P1030891

And the last

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II P1030897
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 3:59 pm

thanks to ians brillent hard work, Lazy Grange Bays rack section moves forward, tiss a beautifull bridge, much ,much impressed ian
Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II P1030903
Back to top Go down
http://www.lazygrangebay.co.uk/
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 4:02 pm

it fits perfectly, its resting on stone pillers, sunk in to the banking, riseing up the banking, i think you could park a car on the bridge, its that strong..
ta ian
Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II P1030917
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Not only strong but it looks really good as well. Nice design!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Nice strong bridge, looks really good.

Great series of pictures by the way as well cheers
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 am

ta guys, just a point off possable intrest, the watermill, came with a electric motor, to power the wheel., and a loverly( Laughing )plastic base....well thats too easy, and it looked poo...
so, motor removed, bit off research, and a lot off fetalling.. now its water powered, a truely, undershot water mill..more details if intrested.....
Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II P1030447
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:33 am

Nice work. I like the waterwheel too. I was curious about the sluice gate in the pic above - did you make that or was it part of the kit?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:38 am

It’s part of the kit Clive as I have one with mine.
Yes I would be interested in how you made it work Mike, for future reference.
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 10:34 am

it is indeed part off the kit, works too, which is nice...
after doing a bit off resurch, and finding wilkapeidia completly wrong...water wheel wont work just sat in a river..
found this usefull diagram..
Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II 09june1001Small
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 10:39 am

i used a plastic gutter as the river, and base for the undershot bit.. glued in plastic L section, to form a chanle, 1 mounted on top off a nother, made the drop, to fit the wheel ,and glued that in plasce,
Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II P1030477-1
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 10:43 am

the wooden wallkway is sipmly that, bit off wood, lines scribed in, sat in the by pass chanels, the sluices gate regulates the flow,
this vies shows the drop, before i detailed it
Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II P1030450
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Nice job! So, not only do you run your own railway, you get to mill your own flour! Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 1:44 pm

I like it!
Definitely the way to go with my water mill, I will just have to work out a position on the overflow stream from the canal.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 3:21 pm

[quote="mike"]it is indeed part off the kit, works too, which is nice...
after doing a bit off resurch, and finding wilkapeidia completly wrong...water wheel wont work just sat in a river..

Hydrology 101:
Water wheels (undershot and overshot) are driven by the differential head (engineer speak for change of height) of the water, not the flow of the water per se, converting the potential energy of the head into a more useful form of mechanical energy. Same with turbines in hydroelectric dams. A river flows as the result of differential head (typically changes of meters over many kilometers except of course for phenomena such as waterfalls) having been converted into kinetic energy.

One could design a device to capture the flowing (kinetic) energy of a river, but it would probably be closer to a windmill or a paddlewheel on a steamboat in concept than a water wheel.

Class dismissed.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 pm

[quote="KleineDicke"]
mike wrote:
it is indeed part off the kit, works too, which is nice...

Hydrology 101:
Water wheels (undershot and overshot) are driven by the differential head (engineer speak for change of height) of the water, not the flow of the water per se, converting the potential energy of the head into a more useful form of mechanical energy. Same with turbines in hydroelectric dams. A river flows as the result of differential head (typically changes of meters over many kilometers except of course for phenomena such as waterfalls) having been converted into kinetic energy.

One could design a device to capture the flowing (kinetic) energy of a river, but it would probably be closer to a windmill or a paddlewheel on a steamboat in concept than a water wheel.

Class dismissed.

Bill: were you a physics teacher in another life? That's the most succinct explanation of the relationship between potential and kinetic energy I' ve ever read: my school textbook took about three pages to cover what you did in three sentences.. cheers
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 4:35 pm

Phil:
I am a Chemical Engineer, so hydraulics is something I deal with daily, although I haven't seen many water wheels in our plant lately. Thanks for the compliment; I seem to have a knack for explaining things in succinct terms. It is likely the result of many years of working with others for whom English was not their native tongue.

Eschew obfuscation, I always say. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II   Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II Empty

Back to top Go down

Bridge for Lazy Grange Bay II
Page 1 of 1