Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Railway suspension bridge...

Go down 
+3
French Chuffed
Bearcastle
clive_t
7 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

Railway suspension bridge... Empty
PostSubject: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 5:49 pm

... I found this whilst doing a search on old photos...

http://www.timbresponts.fr/articles_et_publications/les_ponts_gisclard.htm

Possibly of interest to anyone contemplating an unusual design of bridge for their line?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Very interesting, I know the one for the "train Jaune" very well ; my grand mother had a house in the village at the begenning of the line at Villefranche, we took that train a lot.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 2:37 pm

A good link, I didn’t know there were any suspension bridges in real life for trains, I thought they were too flexible. You live and learn.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 5:08 am

There was a suspension bridge joining US and Canada at Niagara Falls built in the mid-19th century. It had two decks, one carrying railway and the second for other traffic. It stood for about 50 years before being replaced by a new, larger bridge. It was the first successful railway suspension bridge and was considered an engineering marvel in its day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 8:52 am

Hi Clive,

Thanks for sharing the link. During the old times, my grand parents loves riding a train. The sad thing is, train ended her life, If I'm not mistaken she's about to move to Spain when the rail road broke and the train suddenly fell down.

Hoping no more train accident will happen.

Carmel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:40 am

Isn't the Brooklyn Bridge in New York a double road and railway suspension bridge? But yes, I agree, I was unaware there were any pure railway suspension bridges because unlike road and pedestrian traffic a great load gets put on the structure in a very small area which I understand is not a good thing for suspension bridges.

Some super old pics there Clive, thanks for finding!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:29 am

Of course, unless we have trawled the postcard archives courtesy of our friends at Delcampe, then the day's work simply will not have been done!

Here's a couple of interesting variants on the same idea:

Railway suspension bridge... Susp_bridge1

And even a double-track version:
Railway suspension bridge... Susp_bridge2
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:52 am

Great find Clive! what a valuable resource Delcampe is. I even found some old pics of my home town Tottenham on there!

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm

The Roche-Taillade photo is interesting- notice the rails head off into what appears to be a tunnel at the far end of the bridge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 pm

That second photo is surely a roadway bridge but with tramlines laid on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 6:37 am

...is it a cow passing through the bridge rail? I remember the train Hitler used to move during the end of Nazi Gov. Here some portion of the inside.

Railway suspension bridge... Hitler10
Back to top Go down
Montblanc

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Very interesting ! Thanks for sharing.

Jean-Pierre
Back to top Go down
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Clive - thanks for the introduction to Delcampe. Notice how the price rockets when there is a train in the picture!. I have never understood post card collecting especially as the old ones are out of copyright and the images freely available on the internet. Previously I had assumed that the high prices were because of copyright.

Getting back to suspension bridges if they do work for what seem to be slow light secondary lines why are they so rare. They do seem easier to build for the tunnel/bridge/tunnel etc mountain routes than the large arched structures. But then I am a surveyor not an engineer.

Peter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Railway suspension bridge...   Railway suspension bridge... Empty

Back to top Go down

Railway suspension bridge...
Page 1 of 1