Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back and the snow

Go down 
+15
mikeyh
markbiff
David Grantham
bruce
fm12
GWhizz
Bearcastle
Paul Stainz Holt
pjti
Sparkeswood
French Chuffed
Spule 4
philkelly
KleineDicke
Carl Hibbs
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 1:20 pm

I'm alive in Normandy....

Just trying to figure and configure....Orange internet....more later

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 2:51 pm

Good to hear from you. Hope the new year in your new home is great.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 4:13 pm

Happy New Year, boss!

Orange broadband - don't get me started. Ours didn't work for a week until we realised that the ADSL gizmos have to be in EVERY phone socket in the house, not just the one connected to the modem....

Phil
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 pm

philkelly wrote:
Happy New Year, boss!

Orange broadband - don't get me started. Ours didn't work for a week until we realised that the ADSL gizmos have to be in EVERY phone socket in the house, not just the one connected to the modem....

Phil

American DSL is the same way. As we have only two phone jacks in the house, but about 8 lines after the splitters, it became a real chore getting them all filtered.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 4:36 pm

It feels like I've been stuck in a time warp for 10 days.

..and if I suddenly go missing again it will be down to Orange. At least here with Orange (no alternative btw) it is the same company doing the line and the ADSL i.e. France Telecom and I found them more helpful and open to negotiation than previously SFR/Neuf/AOL.

I will have a new e mail address soon too.

Hey what happened to Christmas? That came and went in a blink.

The house move was a nightmare. Wife sick, 2 return trips with laden van in blizzard conditions and I think I now have a hernia. silent
When we arrived there was no heating, water pipes were frozen and now we have a blocked toilet...

I have started to set up an office in a bedroom and can see cows, sheep and chickens from the window.

We are already on first name terms with the post lady and life seems very different here.

I hope everyone is okay and I will have a look at the posts I have missed.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi Carl, glad you are back in the 21st century, sounds as if your really had fun with your move, and the inevitable teething troubles with the house.

Come the spring everything will look better, just got the snow and the rain and all the other problems to cope with in between.

Ha Ho have a Happy New Year.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I'm alive in Normandy....

Just trying to figure and configure....Orange internet....more later

Orange works fine over here. Very Happy
Glad you're alive and a Happy New Year to you and all.
(p.s. I promise never to call you 'Boss ') Cool
Back to top Go down
pjti

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 5:55 pm

That's good news Carl.

We just changed to Orange and the only major problem was that my mum couldn't get through to us - straight to answering service - she always withholds her number and Orange was basically blocking the calls. So hopeflly you won't have this problem with yours but the answer (for me) was for her to prefix my number with the opposite of 1870 or whatever it is.

Glad to hear you are settling in and

"Felice Ano"
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks chaps....and I am not the boss.
'Boss' in French means lump or hump. Le Bossu de Notre Dame. Smile

And a 'bonne fête' et joyeux Saint Silvestre à tout le monde.

I have just started cleaning and converting the chicken shed into a railway workshop.

It's a 12 metre square concrete block building at the end of one of the garages.

I'll try and do some pics tomorrow now I'm back in the modern world.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 6:04 pm

Glad to hear the train works is underway..............Guv'nor

(Is Guv'nor okay ? Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I have just started cleaning and converting the chicken shed into a railway workshop.

It's a 12 metre square concrete block building at the end of one of the garages.
So you bought a Chicken Ranch? We had one of those here in Texas until the law shut it down.
Back and the snow 51E0DAT5E8L._SL500_AA240_
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 9:46 pm

Hello and Welcome back.

As we didnt really move yet here, maybe next year soon Smile
I have an orange box and a SFR box, both are different in use, the orange one is easier as more recent. But for the service i would say SFR is way ahead than Orange.

Maybe there they are less stress than here. But I always had trouble with Orange here.

Hope to see soon that new shed and a new wonderfull line.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 10:29 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR CARL !

Good to have you back!

Stick at with Orange - after 4 visits to the Orange shop in Angouleme and two replacement Liveboxes we finally had a reasonable service.

Sounds like you've finally arrived in the rural France I know, first name terms with the "factrice" a great start!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 6:40 pm

So what happened to your lovely railway?

Hope all well.

2010 is our (the young lad and I) year for our garden railway here in Belgium and we'll be looking for tips and advice.

Thanks JD.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Ah...John. great to hear from you again. Hope all is well in Belgium and tell us more about your plans for 2010 and your railway.

Mine is one of starting from scratch again. I have left about half of the 'lovely railway' in situ for the new occupants who have 2 children and a grandafther keen on trains.

They should finally sign with their notary on Jan 8th and that will be that.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:45 pm

No trains but a few house pics of where trains might go....soon!

...but a few minor jobs to do first (after unblocking the toilet).
Back and the snow Burst_10

I'm not allowed any trains at all in here.
Back and the snow House_10

I can have trains in here. This was the chicken shed.
Back and the snow Chicke10

Looking out from the 'chicken shed' is an enclosed plot about 800sq metres.
I can have trains here!
Back and the snow Garden10

...or can anyone see a potential possibility here....mmm....cyclops
Back and the snow Front_10

After I took those pictures this happened and is still here now.
I'm getting just a tad fed up of white.scratch
Back and the snow Snow10
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Carl.
Keep well in with the new neighbours,just had you up on the satellite,theres a swiming pool next door.
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Just another thought as well, keep in favour with the wife,that chicken shed looks a bit cold to be sleeping in, these winter nights. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks Van...
You're dead right about the swimming pool.... Cool

And yes we shall be keeping in with neighbours.
The house next door (with the covered pool) is the Mayor's son. The Mayor himself lives another 200 metres away.

Hope you're not too affected by the snow. It's a tricky job driving this weather.
Back to top Go down

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Hello Carl, nice to see you made it.
Back to top Go down
bruce

bruce

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Carl, Happy New Year. Hope the traumas of moving don't overly dent your enthusiasm for the new place... I'm sure it will all look much better within a short while!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hdlr.moonfruit.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Unfortunately the traumas have not finished yet. Crying or Very sad
The buyers of our old house in Chelles have delayed again their signing date by another week causing us more problems financially.
We hope there is nothing suspicious going on.

Otherwise the new house is fine. There are always things that go wrong or things you didn't see when initially looking round but overall we are pleased with it. There are certainly a lot of quality aspects and I can see no real DIY bodge ups so far! plus there is still another year's builder's guarantee left.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Welcome back Carl, you were missed and the house looks great.

I know you have more important issues at present but was a provisional date for the annual CGT steam mentioned. I am trying to plan my hols for 2010.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:56 pm

You must be pleased with the chicken shed and the 800 sq.m. plot......great layout area and stock store/terminus. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

I don't think I'll ever (be able to) fill 800 sq metres with G scale. It is a nice dream though.

I have some other ideas for this non-domestic-use space.

For an initial small G scale layout I'm sizing up the front garden. See above picture with the car.

I'm not sure it will meet with domestic approval but that wall looks very unfinished with nothing on the top of it..... Razz

A CGT Open Day or weekend....mmm... I think it should happen.

I would certainly like to have some event here.

I will make another thread with a bit more thought for discussion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back and the snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow Empty

Back to top Go down

Back and the snow
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next