Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back and the snow

Go down 
+15
mikeyh
markbiff
David Grantham
bruce
fm12
GWhizz
Bearcastle
Paul Stainz Holt
pjti
Sparkeswood
French Chuffed
Spule 4
philkelly
KleineDicke
Carl Hibbs
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Back and the snow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 12:02 am

I really feel for you lot! were suffering from the cold at 50f today I had to put a sweat shirt on at work it got so cold!
But really glad the move went safely Carl and I have that Defender here ready for you!! ..................Paul............
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 7:25 am

Brian, I think you're mad but seeing you out in that cold like Scott of the Antartic I shall go out and clear some snow today.

Nice steam, how long did it run for in this cold and how did the butane burn? Did you use a mixture butane/Propane and did you use warm water in the boiler to start with?

I'm always interested in other's cold start procedures.

................................................................................................................................

I'm afraid this is the only machine we need now.
Back and the snow - Page 3 800px-10
A Hagglund. Very Happy
I drove the earlier BV202 in the army a couple of times, great vehicles.

Seriously I have just bought snow chains for the Fiat it's getting that bad. What a Face

How much for the Defender Paul?

I would love one even a good series 2A/3. I looked at buying one here, we have a 4x4 dealer on the main road but the Land Rover prices are grossly inflated.

UMMs/Peugeot P4s and alike can be relatively cheap though.

I can buy an ex MOD released LHD 90 for around £7,000 from dealers in the UK but then add at least £500 for shipping, registration (DRIRE here) etc.

An old series Landrover to rebuild would be a good proposition for next winter (that is if this one ever finishes first). Parts are still fairly easily available and I have all the tools.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Carl, Re builds are difficult to get a Cart Gris for in France. You need to get a standard Landrover from the UK they will be cheaper in the spring when the snow has gone away. My disco is worth les than 7,000 and its a year 2000.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Here is another clip of the Regner in the snow.

I'm looking forward to running it in warmer temperatures - I'm sure that will see better running when the temp is around 12 - 18 deg C higher.
At the moment, it gets up to a pressure of 3 bar, runs and the pressure drops to below 2 bar after around 30 seconds, which is no good to pulll a load......

(I'm using standard butane, water is at room temp 19/20 C when I take the loco outside)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xVnu6vLLds
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Brian, I think you're mad but seeing you out in that cold like Scott of the Antartic I shall go out and clear some snow today.

Nice steam, how long did it run for in this cold and how did the butane burn? Did you use a mixture butane/Propane and did you use warm water in the boiler to start with?

I'm always interested in other's cold start procedures.

Put the madness down to cabin fever - being snowed in for the week.

Yes - reverted to a propane /butane mix, but didn't bother warming the water. Both the loco and the water were stored inside so probably about 18C for the first fire up. Probably took quite a few minutes longer to raise temperature than normal on the first run which probably only lasted 10 minutes or so. The second run with a hot loco was probably nearer 15 minutes, but I did waste a lot of steam - tooting the whistle to impress the neighbours!

Madness not repeated today as a further 5cm dumped last night.

If you do end up running a Land Rover, I've found a young French couple who supply parts, as part of a Land Rover club!
They're not far from Mikey in Sers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 8:58 pm

I see on the bulletins that the South had more snow.
Keep warm and well!

Snow just and I mean just starting to melt a few millimetres here but it'll be another white-knuckle ride or slide to school tomorrow as the country roads are still bad.
...But I do have the sexy fabric snow 'chains' now if I get stuck.

Monsieur Meteo says weather should improve around Wednesday-Thursday.
But he lied last time.

How is everyone else coping with this cold madness?

I've touted a few more ex-Mod dealers in the UK for LHD 90 prices, I found a couple are offering them at around £5,500 plus VAT but I can't just go and look them easily as they are well up in the North.

As soon as I can see the garden I'm going to start putting some track down even temporarily. Can't go this long without running trains.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Carl , I have seen copies of Landrovers here in Spain, the forces use them and I have seen that they (Land Rovers) seem quite poular here. I don't know anything about them myself but maybe some Spanish dealers/traders might have the MOD equvalent. Mind you the way they drive I dunno if I'd want one used.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:00 am

Patrick those Spanish 'Land Rovers' are better than the Solihull versions.

The are made by 'Metallurgica di Santa Anna' and sold as 'Santana' They originally assembled series 2 - 2A and 3s in kit form and beefed them up. The fitted their own 6 cyl. diesel engine and produced several successful different models.

I don't think they use Land Rover parts under licence anymore and they make their own vehicles entirely.

Great idea though. I had forgotten about them.

I feel a trip to Spain coming on. "Hola !" sunny
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:32 pm

I ventured out shopping for the first time this morning as we still have 10cm snow, -7C and no sign of a thaw.

Our village roads are still treacherous, but the main D13 had been well treated and totally dry. Our local LeClerk is only 15k away in La Rochefoucauld but at half distance just 7k away the snow was gone - what a difference 7k's West and a 300 meter drop in altitude can make. One of the penalties of living in the hills of the Haute Charente!

C'est la vie!

One spin off benefit though - Caro couldn't get to the UK this week as her flight from Bordeaux was cancelled. So she's at home working online via the University of Kent's VPN.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 4:57 pm

More snow and freezing rain forecast for tonight. Much of the country is on 'alerte orange'.

Take care on those roads if you can see where they still are.

Our L'Eclerc is about 8kms away and really is the only shop around.

I have a job too now. After a lot of haggling and interviews with the Education Nationale I start at a Lycée in February in Pont Audemer about 30 mins from here.

18 hours a week up until the end of the summer term teaching teenagers English up to and beyond Baccalaureate.
That'll pay for some trains.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Congratulations on the job Carl that will help a lot I would think. Just rain here at the moment.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 am

Thawing at last!

The rain belt hit us last night so we can see green again and slide around on slush - yuk!
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 12:45 am

Sparkeswood wrote:
They've decided that the safest way to protect other road users from my van is to send an ambulance in first... Wink

Back and the snow - Page 3 S'oaks

I got stuck behind one once here in TN. GOING very slow. I had a Volvo with a full set of Nokia snow tires, I could have made better time than him!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 8:20 am

What a difference a day makes!

In the last 24 hours we have had a big thaw. Still a fair bit of snow around but I think it will all be gone by the end of the day. Most roads are clear and even dry.

Time for some preliminary railway construction work I think while I have the day to myself.

I feel a nice weekend in the garden coming on...... Smile
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:36 pm

That thread is alive.

The end of the week is going to get colder and snow will come Saturday.
You may swap for snow tyres now.

That's weatherforecast for north of France (normandy included)

Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes you're right Laurent. Here we go again.....Is it really, nearly a year ago....?Crying or Very sad

I wish I had bought that 4x4 instead of a Twingo!

Back and the snow - Page 3 Meteo_10
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:18 pm

We just had few drop of snow this afternoon, not enought to stay only 1°c at the moment.
Very early in season, as I always remenber having snow late in december (rarely), most of the time in january.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Snow?

75F here in Nashville, mix of sun and clouds, two turkeys in the smokehouse, and I am wearing shorts and shirt-sleeves as I cook...
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Paris and arround are cold atm, colder than usual and no sun...
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Blizzard this afternoon at 17h00 coming back from Evreux on the N13 but almost clear here.
Thick ice however and roads are very slippery. Plus wife's car broke down and is abandoned and waiting for recovery tomorrow. Mad
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 1:57 am

84 DegF yesterday here in Houston. Upper 70s today. About an hour ago, a cold front hit - freeze warning for tomorrow evening. Happy Thanksgiving indeed.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:23 am

Ah yes it was Thanksgiving and St Catherine (25th November) here.

The day for the 'catherinettes', a great term used for women of about 30 years old who are still not married or 'on the shelf'. There is supposed to be a lot of matchmaking and dating going on where the still free women try by any means to attract a man. I love you

I didn't see any of it Crying or Very sad

...but we had lots of snow though.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 3:01 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
84 DegF yesterday here in Houston. Upper 70s today. About an hour ago, a cold front hit - freeze warning for tomorrow evening. Happy Thanksgiving indeed.

Yes, thanks for sending that east, I saw it coming from TX on TV yesterday!

Sidebar, anyone notice we have no smileys for cold?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Spule 4 wrote:

Sidebar, anyone notice we have no smileys for cold?

You do now...... Back and the snow - Page 3 208384 ... Back and the snow - Page 3 166561 ... Back and the snow - Page 3 317298 ... Back and the snow - Page 3 101635 ... Back and the snow - Page 3 212193 ... Back and the snow - Page 3 893873

And just for those unfortunate and unlucky enough not to be enjoying the cold weather right at this moment (bastards)....I've added some hot ones too.
Back and the snow - Page 3 54349 ... Back and the snow - Page 3 624540 ... Back and the snow - Page 3 63638
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 am

Back and the snow - Page 3 54349 Back and the snow - Page 3 172628

Mike
Down on the Sunny Costa del Sol Back and the snow - Page 3 49893

Oh ok, I lied, its damned Back and the snow - Page 3 166561 AND its tipping it down as well! I shall have to go out and drain some water from the swimming pool before it overflows onto the terrace Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 11:43 am

We had about 10cm last night (made getting home from a gig very difficult!). nice sunny day today and its nearly all gone. Just a bit worried because its quite early. Still, as long the winter isnt as long as last year!!

Back and the snow - Page 3 101635

mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Back and the snow
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next