Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MOMI module Normand

Go down 
+6
k&nwlr
KleineDicke
GWhizz
Paulus
tram47
Carl Hibbs
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Carl, Will you be powering your secondary rail system independently of the main MOMI track?

I need to know in terms of the electrics and isolating my loading dock when we connect the two modules together cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Brian, yes I will be powering the internal track separately with a simple analogue controller.

The rear hidden track will be powered from Momi only at the moment i.e. through the banana connections.

The front public through track will be switchable either Momi or local through a DPDT switch.

All the internal track will be isolated into about 6 sections.

The track to you will be a short stub off the curved turntable. We can connect electrically if you wish with some sort of flying lead under the boards from a screw terminal block.

Are you having your own power then?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 pm

I wasn't going to bother with powering the dock rails independently, but thinking about it, it could add operational interest. So i'll do the same - use a DPDT to connect either MOMI or an independent analogue source. I tend to standardise on 3 pin Cannon, so I'll put a socket for a seperate supply into the back of the module. Though if we use brass track connectors the rails could be linked anyway!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:18 pm

You might find the cell structure of ceiling tiles a bit too coarse for modelling use - I bought 50 x 65cm sheets sold as Creat'AIRPLAC again from "Cultura"

I'm sure other substitutes would work, you can get the same effect with the 50mm HD insulating sheets sold for building work. I did consider making the whole module out of it at one point. There are quite a few examples of sheets being framed in timber to make baseboards in the railway modelling press.

I have some sky background left over and intend, as you suggested, making a little scene with tanker cars and barrels (once I get them) photoshopping it and pasting into the gap between buildings. As far as backgrounds go they tend to be a bit of a mish mash take a look at the Chatellerault pics for example Chatellerault. However it doesn't seem to matter there's no pretence of it being anything but a series of diorama's linked by a common track sytem.

I think a complete lack of backscreen is fine with your building, but the visitors might be able to spy us through the openings having 'apero's' and lunch which seems to be the major objective of MOMI gatherings in the first place.

BTW it's not too late to turn your module into a Calvados Distillery and we could then reflect on two of France's fine regional products Charentais and Normand MOMI module Normand - Page 3 54349
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: temp   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm

GWhizz wrote:

BTW it's not too late to turn your module into a Calvados Distillery and we could then reflect on two of France's fine regional products Charentais and Normand MOMI module Normand - Page 3 54349

I'll vote for that. drunken
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Well the cat is pretty much out of the bag now! Cool

It was always going to be a large 'cidererie'......apples (and pears) in and (mostly) alcoholic beverages out.
Cidre, poirée, pommeau and indeed some high octane Calva'.

Looks like it'll be a boozy affair at Chatellerault. drunken

I moved the previous 2 posts from Brian's thread

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Well...some more progress over the course of this week and most of the basic track laying is completed including the two wagon turntables and the Charente connection.

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi6110

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi6210

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi6310

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi6410

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi6510

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi6610

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi6710

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi6010

A lot of tyding up and track painting required and then I can do some more scenery.
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 6:06 pm

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 317793 Very Happy Very Happy [ Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 6:45 pm

And more... It's amazing what a difference a bit of 'Bushell's brown' makes to the appearance of the track. Very Happy

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi7110

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi7210

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi7310

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi7010

The more I look at these barrel wagons the more I think I'll have to do something with them. They just look a bit too shiny and toy like at the moment. scratch
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:04 pm

très belle réalisation ,very beautiful realisation !!!!
nous attendons tous la suite ......we await all the continuation......
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Merci Daniel, ça avance petit à petit. C'est un vrai aventure.

J'ai commandé un Regner Max chez Atelier Vaporiste pour les manoeuvres.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
The more I look at these barrel wagons the more I think I'll have to do something with them. They just look a bit too shiny and toy like at the moment. scratch

Perhaps. But if you fill them with cidre or calvados, nobody will care how they look!lol!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

I've had similar thoughts and made an initial attempt at weathering. The tanker on the left has had a brushing of dilute black/brown acrylic and then when dry a spray with matt varnish!

I'm not happy yet, but it's an improvement...

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Tanker10

I may also look at hook and chain coupling rather than the oversize LGB
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 5:23 pm

That looks a lot better already Brian. Yes the LGB couplings are gross. I may replace the plastic wheels too with a bit smaller diameter metal ones.

Following on from Daniel's post on his Layout Momi thread.

I have now re-established the idea of train movements behind the scenes( Exclamation ) inside the building and thus fabricated 2 simple turning plates.

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi8110

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi8210

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi8310

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi8410

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi8510

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi8610

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi8010

The line in the building is continously electrically connected across and including the turning plates so that a train can run through from one module to another as before.

Now I'll need to build some tiny locotracteurs to do all the shunting. scratch
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Carl Hibbs wrote:

I've had similar thoughts and made an initial attempt at weathering. The tanker on the left has had a brushing of dilute black/brown acrylic and then when dry a spray with matt varnish!

I'm not happy yet, but it's an improvement...

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Tanker10

I may also look at hook and chain coupling rather than the oversize LGB

It looks a whole lot better than the shiny plastic one for sure. 
The washing is actually just 1 step to a nice weathered model. 
You can give it a drybrush to bring out more detail, like the rivets and barrel ties. You can do this best with a flat paintbrush with almost dry paint in lighter color than the wood.  I use artist oil paints. 

Here some usefull links on the drybrush. Also on youtube there must be some videos about this technique.

And,as you said, changing the huge LGB couplers will add more realism to the car for sure.

http://www.finescale.com/en/How%20To/Articles/2002/10/~/media/import/files/pdf/1/0/e/dry-brushing.ashx

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/models/tutorials/tips/drybrush.htm

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide/painting/
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:04 pm

BTW, this is an interesting link as well: Realistic wood
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am

Some good links Paul.
What we need are some miniature barrels and how to make them.

Fut, tonneau, foudre in French.

My daughter and I are making some simple plans but everywhere you look it says (real) barrels are not made from plans they are the product of many years of experienced cooperage!
scratch
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:03 am

sur les foudres,tonneaux et autres récipients en bois cerclés de fer , il n'y a pas de rivets en contact avec le bois!!!!!!

on the ire, barrels and other containers with wood of iron, there is no rivets in touch with timber !!!!!!!!

http://www.google.fr/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=wagon+foudre

http://www.lrmodelisme.fr/trains/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20309&sid=c8a7e4ef4ad741d7c5dc59d499fce43d

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 pm

A bit more progress...

Like Brian I have been wiring up...I realised why do things simply when you can do things complicated and I rather made a lot more work for myself (than I should have) in the interests of operational flexibility.
It's almost done now and I ran the first train.

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi0710

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi0810

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi0910

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi1011

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Momi0610
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I assume the rectangular hole at the rear will house the computer screen to monitor the complex electronics MOMI module Normand - Page 3 9343 Laughing
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 7:30 pm

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Raccor16

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Raccor17

MOMI module Normand - Page 3 833270
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Oui...Daniel.

J'ai deux paires des douilles bananes de chaque éxtrémité connecté continuellement. Une paire pour la voie public et l'autre pour la voie cachée.

Je peux les peindre rouge et noir si tu veux.
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 7:54 pm

c'est plus prudent !!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:06 pm

D'accord mais c'est évident si on suit les images.

Je vais colorer soigneusement les manchons.

J'ai achété une grande boite des douilles 4mm à prix canon sur e bay mais la seule couleur dispo était jaune.... Wink
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:18 pm

lors des expositions , un ami serviable branche les connexions et provoque un court-circuit.
expérience vécue !!!!

Last edited by tram47 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Il faut avoir des moyens de protection. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

MOMI module Normand
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next