Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A diary of Tramway Demiel

Go down 
+16
Clarkmeggs
tram47
KleineDicke
philkelly
fm12
pjti
Bearcastle
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
Paul Stainz Holt
French Chuffed
micheline
markbiff
Admin
clive_t
mikeyh
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
clive_t

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 8:06 am

Nice pics again, Mikey Cool Someone's nicked your fox, though!

Love the second pic in particular, with the faint steam plume from the tram. Is it an optical illusion, or is the track really listing a little to the right?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 8:18 am

Looking at that last pic, I wondered what it would look like if it were to receive the 'old photo' treatment - so, with due apologies to Mikey (and full credit for original pic, and all that):

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 312_061331_440000000_sepia
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 8:20 am

we went all round with a spirit level but at this spot ,where a set of points are, yes its possible, but i think it is more pronounced in the picture than it really is.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 am

Mm Like that Clive! I might have a yesteryear page on my website with sepia pics

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:57 am

I must say Sepia Ageing suits the old bugger ...

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Old_mi10
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:42 am

I thought that was his natural colour! lol!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 2:24 pm

touche Brian!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Too hot for running trains so we have been trying to make the buis (boxwood) into reasonably shaped trees;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Demiel241

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 3:32 pm

Where the fox ??
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Too much sun Cool
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Mikey, I think I have missed a trick here, what have you used for ballast? Sorry if you've already posted about that, I tried looking back at the previous posts but can't find a mention of it. Looks like a kind of coarse sand?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 6:31 pm

sorry Clive i must have missed your last post. Yes its a very coarse sand mixed with a bit of 'chaux' which is the powdered lime they use to make the crepi (rendering) in these parts. I used it because it best represents the covered sleeper look.I put it on dry and with a 1 3/4" paintbrush spread it along the track and the shoulders. the chaux makes it dry hard but not as hard as concrete so its easily moved if neccessary. We put it on twice after well watering the first layer to soak it into the air spaces in the gravel.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Hmm, interesting. Certainly it looks good in the pics. Are you hoping/expecting any moss or similar to take root in amongst it?

I have been experimenting with a mix made from 'ready-mix dry mortar' and some peat and some soil - so far I have only applied it to one track at the Scampington end, just to see if any greenery takes it over. A bit early doors yet, but again it's not rock solid so is easily dug up if need be. I also have obtained a bag of sharp sand so that I can have a go with that and some cement when I get the time.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 9:14 am

I read somewhere (think it was on here) that the best time to take pics of live steam in the summer is early in the morning so at 7.30am I fired up the tram ready to see plumes of steam rising into the morning air. Fat chance! it was already 29 degrees (35 at time of this posting). anyway use your imagination;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Demiel244

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Demiel243

and then a long goods from the papermill;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Demiel246

Excuse the gate on this last one! I thought I'd cropped it out.

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Demiel245

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:01 am

mikeyh wrote:
I read somewhere (think it was on here) that the best time to take pics of live steam in the summer is early in the morning so at 7.30am I fired up the tram ready to see plumes of steam rising into the morning air. Fat chance! it was already 29 degrees (35 at time of this posting). anyway use your imagination;

Mikey

Great shots but I think we'll have to wait til December for visible steam Sleep
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:28 am

Another great set of pics Mikey - can't be far off your official opening, now?

I have (yet!) another question - That tarpaulin covering the first open wagon, how did you make it?

Also, it looks like your stream bed is all dried up! Must be a real drought on down there Cool
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:42 am

Yes i've cut back the plants that were growing over the bank because I want to make it look like a river 'wall' For the tarpaulin; first cover wagon top with clingfilm then cut to size a piece of open weave material ( I used a bit of an old sheet), soak it in diluted PVA and stretch it over the clingfilm. When it is semi-dry paint it with an oil based paint by 'dabbing' it on rather than brushing it. When completely dry carefully lift it off. the cling film should now be stuck to the underside of the material (thereby making it completely waterproof) .Its shell-like hardness helps it keep its shape.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Can anybody tell me what are ideal conditions for pics showing live steam? I'm getting frustrated at setting it all up but theres nothing there!!

Mikey Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Winter or a cold morning as soon as you reach a temperature under 10 to 12° c it will smoke a lot.
Over 10 to 12°c depend of the weather i think.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 5:20 pm

If it's too windy, also, tends to blow steam plumes completely away!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Bearcastle wrote:
Winter or a cold morning as soon as you reach a temperature under 10 to 12° c it will smoke a lot.

Our little engines don't 'smoke' (fumer) very much. Well they shouldn't do except for a little burnt oil.
It should be all gas generated steam (vapeur) unless you have a coal fired monster in which case you get lots of real smoke at any atmospheric temperature. Mad

The ideal temperatures for steam are just chilly damp mornings.

Take a cup of tea outside first and test the air. Or those with horses look at the muck heap for a good indication. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Bearcastle wrote:

Or those with horses look at the muck heap for a good indication. Laughing

Sorry doesn't work!

Many a morning I add to a steaming muck heap#, but still no visible steam from the Edrig!

# realise I'm setting myself up for a few comments here but it's true
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 6:09 am

Too warm in the south Cool

yesterday some town had 41°C in the south.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 10:45 am

No trains in these pics (just a bit of track) showing the hustle and bustle and also the tranquility of Demiel;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Demiel247

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Demiel248

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Demiel250

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Its all looking very lived in (if that’s the word I am looking for) you have certainly put some detail into your work. Mine is still a building site, and will be for a few years I suspect.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Lovely pics again, Mikey. I've just been looking back over the previous 9 pages of this thread, and it's incredible how it's changed in less than a year...

I'd say I like the last pic best, but then I'm biased Cool - but they're all great really!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

A diary of Tramway Demiel
Page 6 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next