Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A diary of Tramway Demiel

Go down 
+16
Clarkmeggs
tram47
KleineDicke
philkelly
fm12
pjti
Bearcastle
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
Paul Stainz Holt
French Chuffed
micheline
markbiff
Admin
clive_t
mikeyh
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyTue May 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Bought this on free-bay just now;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Br2lFBGkKGrHqIOKjIEvNqjcYH9BL1dsnHB

comes with sound, smoke and lights, runs on 9v. The plan is to change the body for the plastic Tram body that Carl is going to send me (when he's feeling better of course). theres also 18 foot of track which will be an independent circuit around the planned chateau

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Just been able to get out and take this pic of the woodash ballast (been raining for last two days).

This ash is not put on direct from the fire but has been standing for at least a year. I had to break it up with a shovel to get it off the heap and onto the track. As I said; its been raining heavily for 48 hours non stop and as you can see, the ash has not been washed away. If anything it's set harder!

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel397

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Looks great! Is it necessary to leave the ash for that amount of time, though, before using it in this way?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 3:35 pm

No Clive, I established the ash heap after winter 2008 in the hope that it could be used for this purpose ~('cos the colour looked right). So the top part (which is what you are seeing) is from this last winter (2009). Apparently there is a chemical reaction with water which causes it to harden ~(and stay hard even when the sun shines). Anyway i need to put a bit more on to cover the sleepers. When we ran a train over it the wheels just cut through with no problem.

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm

One has to say that although sceptical to start with this could be an interesting possibility.

Of course I can't try it now having scattered all the winter fires ashes around the garden.

I would like to see what it looks like ballasted up to the rails. That could well be the answer for successful realistic tramway track which were afterall ashphalted into the roads.....
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Of course I can't try it now having scattered all the winter fires ashes around the garden.
Don't worry Carl, if the wind is in the right direction the Icelandic volcano will bury your track for you - and of course your car, your house...Cool

Carl Hibbs wrote:

I would like to see what it looks like ballasted up to the rails. That could well be the answer for successful realistic tramway track which were afterall ashphalted into the roads.....

Me too...
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Hopefully with no rain forecast tomorrow I will try and build up the ash on the track. After i've shovelled it on top of the rail (literally), I first use a paint scraper to smooth it out and then a 1 3/4 inch paint brush which gets rid of all the unneccesary ash. we'll see!

mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 10:57 pm

Ash ballast was used on many light and NG railways in the UK in Victorian times so its very prototypical. I should think mixing in some cement would make it even sturdier.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 4:42 pm

It's been a weird few days down here. 72 hours of nonstop rain and then today 41 degrees and blue skies!

The rain has played havoc with the plants which were all nicely trimmed. Now they are all like this;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel400

Glyn has been busy today regaining the shape of the trees;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel402

I have been constructing the 'chateau' (Mr Benets palatial abode). Its scrap ply, window frames are from an old plastic laundry basket (good tip there, perfect size). Roof is treated cardboard covered in rubber sheeting. Still a lot to do;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel399

The windows have been cut as electric light will be installed. Where there is no window there will be shutters.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 5:10 pm

mikeyh wrote:

....... window frames are from an old plastic laundry basket (good tip there, perfect size).

Mikey

affraid cyclops

Please explain.....

.....curious (baffled/stupid) from Normandy.

BTW how's the ash ballast coming on?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Old plastic laundry basket, cut with Dremel. Loads of window frames for nix!

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel403

Because of the rain Carl we havent had a chance to add more ash, but what is there hasnt been washed away!
Will try tomorrow weather permitting

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:46 am

Finally able to continue with the woodash experiment this morning. The ash pile is rather wetter than I would prefer but nervertheless it seems to have worked;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel406

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel404

I shovelled the ash on top of the rail, then used the paintscraper and finally the brush. i think we will have a bit more rain soon, so I will leave it to settle. Even after the torrential rain we have had for the last few days none of the ash had been washed away, just a bit of settlement which is easily topped up.

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:56 am

I should perhaps add that although the ash is quite 'clayey' through saturation it will not turn to dust when the sun dries it out. It has been found to set like concrete (but if you need to change the track the rails just lift through it.)

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:58 am

A real tramway at last...... Idea

Looks great.....how well do the trains run on it?

It just so happens with the return to winter here (ice and frost this morn) I have a new supply of Normandy wood ash to experiment with.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:06 am

After brushing it (only need to do that once after laying, to ensure there are no 'bits' left on the track) the wheels just ride straight through. I tried to measure the clearance between the flanges and the top of the sleepers/chairs and was quite surprised how much there was. Cant speak for other makes of track though.

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Any problems with operation of your points?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Not as yet Bill. I've pushed the ash right underneath all the sleepers and kept the blades clear

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Nice photos Mikey

I wonder how good the ash will be at suppressing weed growth through the tracks?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 2:50 pm

the Autorail and remorque weaves its way through the ongoing ballasting on the edge of town;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel408

Mean while the Pompiers are en route to a small fire;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel407

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Another nice set of photos Mikey... however, did i miss something? How did you make the trailer for the autorail? Is it powered?

I think the locals ought to be a bit concerned that the gypsy group's bear cage is empty!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptySat May 15, 2010 6:27 am

Sorry Clive, two questions posed and i havent answered either of them!

1. Yes I never actually thought of perhaps another advantage with the ash. I'll keep an eye on it.

2. Yes its powered. Its a fiddle really because the little draisine I made has a lft off body so i just built a body with a towhook on it. It pushes the car OK but I really want it to go slower. Hopefully Carl will be able to assist there!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptySun May 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Mikey, did your open day go ok? Were any photos taken?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyMon May 17, 2010 5:53 am

Friday evening and Saturday were a total washout, but good day Sunday. Will post pics later when we've sorted them out, thanks Clive.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyMon May 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Sorry about the weather for you Mikey, we desperately need some rain here. All the water buts are nearly empty and the canal is only half full.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyTue May 18, 2010 10:40 am

Fete Weekend = Well forget Friday and Saturday due to rain. So its Sunday open day and official opening. Sorry for lack of pictures but by Sunday i was feeling a bit p****ed off, so i told my wife to take the camera with her and the kids to the funfair as nobody would come to see the railway! then about thirty people turned up!
Anyway these are the pics that I was able to take;

Mr and Madame Benet arrive with their party at the station behind the new tram;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel410

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel409

The arrival at the Mairie (Townhall);

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel412

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Demiel413

Finally a couple pics of the fun at the fair!'

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Family121

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Family120

A bit about the new tram ,using the parts from the trainset I bought on ebay, to come later.

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 EmptyTue May 18, 2010 11:18 am

Well done Mikey, you're officially open!

I would say that 30 people is a quite respectable attendance - it's on a par with most G Scale Society open days I've been to - as indeed was your weather!

I'm curious to know what the locals made of it? It impresses the hell out of me, especially as I have been privileged to watch it develop over the last couple of years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

A diary of Tramway Demiel
Page 15 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 24  Next