Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A diary of Tramway Demiel

Go down 
+16
Clarkmeggs
tram47
KleineDicke
philkelly
fm12
pjti
Bearcastle
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
Paul Stainz Holt
French Chuffed
micheline
markbiff
Admin
clive_t
mikeyh
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
philkelly

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Automotrice looking great, Mikey! - in Vienne, a stream near us disapeared completely; our pond was the lowest it has ever been and yes the farmers were still shooting water at their maize. An eco group emerged who went round at night turning off the irrigation machinery and leaving polite notes saying that they really didn't want to be thanked for saving the farmers thei water bills...
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 7:05 am

mikeyh wrote:
First run of the Automotrice;

Then the heavens opened for the first time in weeks!!

mikey

Great isn't it, the Automotrice and the rain Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 7:37 am

Nice looking bus there Mikey. How did you do the power unit in the end, or is that still a work-in-progress? Congratulations on the success of your Rain Dance!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Clive you always manage to ask the pertinent questions. The picture of the automotrice is peculiar because it doesnt show the stripped down playmobil chassis that is pushing it round the track! I was going to take a whole series of pics including the chassis just to show that the idea works. After the first pic we had a cloudburst which carried on for the next ten hours! Fantastic!.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Made a decision today to only use live steam when the weather is cooler. Reason?; You fire it up carefully, making sure the oil is ok, the gas ok and the water ok; You light up and wait for it to build up pressure. when pressure is reached you open the regulator and away she goes. Only thing is theres not a trace of steam, smoke or whatever coming out of the chimney!. Pictures look like they are completely posed. With the battery and track powered I put them on the track, switch on and away we go. So today we ran the normal passenger train (still great to do though!)

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Demiel304

Roll on October/november et al

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 12:32 pm

A new Halt was opened today for the workers at the papermill;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Demiel307

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Demiel308

These unattended halts varied in design between networks. Some had an office and a waiting room with doors. Others were just two large doorless rooms to shelter in. This one was made from a cutdown speaker cabinet with the usual rubber tiles for the roof.

Mike
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 7:41 pm

Another cracking little building there Mikey Cool In the background (left side) of the first of these latest pics, the tiles appear to be different colour to this new building, even though I think it's the same material. Has the weather had a part to play in that, or did you get your paints out?! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 8:39 pm

The original rubber yacht decking is grey which i paint with an exterior latex paint 'Terra cotta'. While the paint is wet I weather the tiles with black and green. the halt has just started to be weathered.

Mike
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 1:39 pm

Been having a problem with derailments lately. LGB stuff is OK but its always the live steam on the bends (at whatever speed it is going). The track has always listed slightly, especially to the outside of bends. I realised that the LGB stuff, having the motor low down ,have a centre of gravity that will counter the slope of the track. The tram, especially with a full boiler, has a higher centre of gravity and is basically top-heavy. So we've stripped the trackbed back and laid 5cm thick beams along the front straight and ballasted up the bends at either end. Hopefully this will cure the problem? Smile

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Demiel311

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Demiel313

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 1:43 pm

Further to above, this has had the added bonus of giving me a firm base for the turntable which will connect to the live steaming bay. Of course all the bare wood will be 'landscaped; to hide it.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 2:28 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Been having a problem with derailments lately. LGB stuff is OK but its always the live steam on the bends (at whatever speed it is going).
Mikey, have you checked the wheel-gauge hasn't reduced? If the wheels on your live-steamer are adjustable gauge, maybe they have drifted inwards a bit?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Wheel gauge was the first thing i checked Clive.All OK there. You were the first person to notice the list (in one of the picture comments). I thought i could live with it but it was just being lazy. the weird thing is that when the tram has been running a while its OK. I put this down to the full boiler and gas tank which must raise the centre of grav sufficiently to tip it on the bends (which leant outwards anyway!) Gonna do some testing tomorrow

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 4:52 pm

A great stretch of straight trackwork Mikey. It looks like it's on a gradient?

I've just started to dismantle part of mine.... Sad
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Now that all the wooden buildings have been brought in for Winter (still 12 concrete ones left out) I've strated re-painting and detailing some of them. First off is the 'Hotel de la Gare' which has had a more french looking roof added to it and some ivy.

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Demiel315

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 1:08 pm

After checking the romany camp the Gendarme is being distracted by the girl while the illegals hide in the vans (nothing changes does it?)
Another fine figure from Clive finds its way to Demiel!

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Demiel318

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 1:19 pm

Nice pic Mikey, thanks for sharing! I am always relieved to learn of their safe arrival.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Forgive me Mikey, but that diorama appears to be indoors!

On a cracking day like this? Going soft in your old age I fear Laughing

Seriously though, another brilliant job by Clive. Have the caravans grown in number? I love the one on the left!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 1:44 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Forgive me Mikey, but that diorama appears to be indoors!

On a cracking day like this? Going soft in your old age I fear Laughing

Don't know why, but I am sensing irony here!

I take it, Brian, your rainwater collection pond is now back to 'sensible' levels? Cool
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 1:51 pm

Strangely not on this rare occasion Clive, this morning has been mild and sunny with a nice breeze blowing up from the Med and Pyrennes.

BUT Monsieur Meteo says it's going to rain this afternoon and even as I write clouds are gathering.

And yes the water supply (it's actually an underground tank) is already full thanks to last week's weather!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 2:11 pm

I think that's one of your finest figures Clive, not least for the different detail parts to make the ensemble plus too the history and research involved.

Terrible weather here in 'packing box land' and the garden looks like the Somme in 1917.

Those caravans are lovely Mike. We are going to buy one - a 'Roulotte', a real one next year. My wife doesn't know it yet though.

You can buy them as a kit.
Here's one place, roulotte-en-kit.com
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Now we know where we are going to sleep next year, for the open day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Those caravans are lovely Mike. We are going to buy one - a 'Roulotte', a real one next year. My wife doesn't know it yet though.

Here's one place, roulotte-en-kit.com

That's one hell of a shopping list Carl! - Horse, Donkeys, Ride on Mower, Land Rover. Romany Caravan!

Don't forget to leave some cash for a garden railway!
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Fine figures and diorama Mikey.
Excellent work Mr T Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 8:37 pm

well don't expect it stay at one caravan...........................
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Monseur le Gendarme looks outstanding as does mademoiselle . Great diorama.

Kudos to Clive and Mikey.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 10:56 am

mikeyh wrote:
After checking the romany camp the Gendarme is being distracted by the girl while the illegals hide in the vans (nothing changes does it?)

mikey

Mikey, am I ok to use this pic on my Who's Who page, please? Usual photo credits given etc honest!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

A diary of Tramway Demiel
Page 8 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 24  Next