Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spanish locomotive

Go down 
+2
mikeyh
David Grantham
6 posters
AuthorMessage
David Grantham

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 am

Views of a Spanish locomotive I built.

Spanish locomotive David110

Spanish locomotive David210

Spanish locomotive David310
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:00 am

that is a nice looking locomotive. I know nothing about Spanish railways but this one certainly has a continental look that is not french or german!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 am

I must confess it is freelance 2-8-0 and not a scale model of a prototype, but it is recognisable, I think, as a Spanish Baldwin and quite silmilar to the La Robla Baldwin 2-8-0s.

It is freelance partly because it is my first attempt at building a live steam loco and I wanted to use a Lady Anne boiler and motion. Chassis and most other flat bits are scratch built with liberal use of odd fittings from Roundhouse.

My railway, the Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga, is supposed to 750mm so the model is 32mm gauge.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:49 am

I'd like to know more about how you built the chassis David. 2-8-0s don't come naturally from Roundhouse. Smile

Looks an excellent representation to me and great to see people do something different.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
clive_t

clive_t

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:48 pm

A very nice loco David, it's nice to see things that are 'out of the ordinary'. Do you have any more pics of your line, or a website?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
David Grantham

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 1:01 pm

I designed the chassis online using Autosketch, an old and simple, but good, CAD package.

Basically I added the 4th axle to the Lady Anne dimensions and added a few further modifications and emailed the Autosketch file to a company in Birmingham. They laser cut the frames from my CAD file. Price quoted was £20 for one set of frames and £30 for 3 sets. So I might build another loco as I quite like the aesthetics and I did order 3 sets of frames.

I dont have a web site but I will post some pictures of the line in the coming months.
Back to top Go down
pjti

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Very nice David, interestingly there is a Museo de ferrocarrill at Gijon here in Spain. Here is a well weathered version

http://www.locomotoravapor.com/fotosupload/asturias/Cavado.jpg

For anyone else interested in things Spanish try this site.

Preserved Steam in Spain
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi pjti.

I am familiar with the excellent web site you mention above and spend a lot of time researching the Spanish narrow gauge.
I also visit Santander most years and have completed the San Sebastian to El Ferrrol route
and travelled Leon to Bilbao a couple of times. Im just a FEVE addict.

Have you seen the excellent book "Narrow Gauge Rails through the Cordillera" by Mike Bent. It is in English but the maps are amazingly detailed.
Back to top Go down
pjti

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 11:09 am

David, I will watch out for the book thanks. You are lucky in that you have travelled these lines, I hope to do it someday but the wife is not as enthusiastic and I have no Spanish so daren't venture out on my own much. I have done Santander to Madrid tho, it's a nice route through the mountains. I have not managed to persuade her that we need to visit Gijon either and whenever we are near the NG at Azpetia she say's " next time". Having said that she has offered to get a "man" to sort out the garden so I can lay some track so she's not all bad.

If you have any links to Spanish stuff I would appreciate it, although I can't understand much.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 5:50 pm

A cracking model.

Any further information on Spanish narrow gauge would be much appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Sponsored content

Spanish locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spanish locomotive   Spanish locomotive Empty

Back to top Go down

Spanish locomotive
Page 1 of 1