Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OBB BO BO Diesel

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
French Chuffed

OBB BO BO Diesel Empty
PostSubject: OBB BO BO Diesel   OBB BO BO Diesel EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 10:29 am

Once again as a balanced contrast to Mikeys ingenious modelling.
I have a OBB diesel 2095 that I got some time ago but wish to make it mts with sound etc. I have an mts iii chip and wish to find an appropriate sound card to install, and possibly a smoke unit if practical and desirable.

OBB BO BO Diesel DSCF1741

I have plugged the chip in, with some debate as too which way round it went, but put it on the programming track and it seemed to work ok.

OBB BO BO Diesel DSCF1737

I have it on good authority (Paul ‘Stainz’ Holt) that the vent in the middle of the roof is where the engine exhaust should emanate from.

OBB BO BO Diesel DSCF1744

Is it practical I ask, to cut out the slots in the vent and put a Massoth smoke unit in? Unfortunately I have a 5v one which probably drawers too much current.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

OBB BO BO Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBB BO BO Diesel   OBB BO BO Diesel EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 10:36 am

Thats a nice loco Peter but after seeing your thread on the other channel I don't know if i could handle DCC!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

OBB BO BO Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBB BO BO Diesel   OBB BO BO Diesel EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 11:19 am

Yes Mikey it’s a nice loco I was a bit disappointed that the connecting rods are plastic not metal (they bend) so I may try to replace them one day with some ‘proper ones’

I think mts is only for those that like fiddling around with electronics, and enjoy the challenge, and frustration. confused
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

OBB BO BO Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBB BO BO Diesel   OBB BO BO Diesel EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Peter
For sound, its hard to beat the Massoth XLS sound board (and decoder) combined - but its £160 or thereabouts !
My two diesel loks had analogue sound boards in, which were very good, but the sound would glitch after ten minutes (due to the capacitors I reckon) when married up to two pairs of LGB 55021 decoders.

So I sold the sound boards to two friends here and replaced them with Massoth XLS s.
This is what an analoue sound set up looks like......... (capacitor bank on the left)

OBB BO BO Diesel Old_pi12

Last edited by paul stainz holt on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

OBB BO BO Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBB BO BO Diesel   OBB BO BO Diesel EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:31 pm

You can hear the Massoth sound units here.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc1yT_8rVOI

It is possible to fit a 24 volt smoke unit to exhaust through the drilled out port as you say.
(Don't know why Massoth don't make them to support 5 volt - the ones they make for LGB do ! Rolling Eyes )

OBB BO BO Diesel 00510012
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

OBB BO BO Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBB BO BO Diesel   OBB BO BO Diesel EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi Peter

I fitted an 18 volt smoke unit to my Mallet, supplied by track power - 18 volt ac.

I then use a 12 volt relay on a function output from the XLS to switch power to it via F7

I did post a thread on the old G S M forum which is still there (until the end of November) if it's any help?

Chipping Mallet
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sponsored content

OBB BO BO Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBB BO BO Diesel   OBB BO BO Diesel Empty

Back to top Go down

OBB BO BO Diesel
Page 1 of 1