Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne

Go down 
+13
tram47
KleineDicke
dtsteam
Knotty Ash
clive_t
Bearcastle
pjti
GWhizz
Admin
Carl Hibbs
Paul Stainz Holt
mikeyh
French Chuffed
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:04 pm

A snow shed is a great idea Peter! I love those 'swiss railway journeys' programmes and its a shame that Chris and Sue can not make any new ones due to ill -health; I dont know if it helps but when i want a concrete looking finish i mix a little cement with some diluted PVA and paint it on. It lasts for years!

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:08 pm

mikeyh wrote:
A snow shed is a great idea Peter! I love those 'swiss railway journeys' programmes and its a shame that Chris and Sue can not make any new ones due to ill -health; I dont know if it helps but when i want a concrete looking finish i mix a little cement with some diluted PVA and paint it on. It lasts for years!

mikey

That sounds a good idea Mikey, I will have to see if it will stick to Epoxy as sometimes that can be a problem.

Yes the “Swiss Railway journeys” are really good, I just wish someone had made a few of Austria as well.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Bearcastle wrote:
That could look like the open tunnel to protect from avalanche.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 Dsc01510

Just editing the post took me time to find a picture in the hardrive

Yes thats the idea, mine may have a flat roof, for simpicity but if part gets some rock fall on it may look a bit orthentic.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 pm

[quote="French Chuffed"]
mikeyh wrote:

mikey

Mikey what dilution do you do with the PVA, save me doing lots of experiments.........????
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Bearing in mind that the cement will absorb a lot of the water, I start with 1 to 3 (water tp PVA), I then add the cement until its a 'paintable' mixture. If you need to add more water because the mix is too hard just a little more PVA as well

I used this mixture to paint the walls of our shower block and its still good ten years later!!
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 2011_06080001

I have made some progress, putting on the top and the support pillared to the front. I have also put a retaining lip on the front to retain the ballast that I will put in around the track. Hopefully I can try it in site tomorrow before I try Mikey’s patent concrete covering.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 2011_06080002
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Well this is the construction in place being tested, it needs its coat of cement but I hope you get the idea. Possibly need to build the hill up higher in the background.
Not to mention getting some water in the canal when we have enough rain.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 2011_06090008

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 2011_06090007
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 3:18 pm

that really looks the part Peter and hopefully will do the job as effectively as its prototype!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 4:17 pm

That's really coming on Peter, and much better than a tunnel, you can still access the track for cleaning etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Wow, that's quite a structure!

Will you be securing it, or just relying on the weight of the soil on top of it to hold it in place?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 6:41 pm

clive_t wrote:
Wow, that's quite a structure!

Will you be securing it, or just relying on the weight of the soil on top of it to hold it in place?

Believe me when I say it’s not going to blow away its over 7’ long and with some soil filling the back and a bit on top its there for a while.

I was thinking of trying to put some led’s at the back to give a bit of illumination.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Looks impressive Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Looks great! Make sure you test it with all your (long sized) rolling stock before you fixate the track to prevent derailments or coaches getting stuck...

There's another advantage that it has over a tunnel; you can still see the train!
The LED lighting sounds good.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Bearing in mind that the cement will absorb a lot of the water, I start with 1 to 3 (water tp PVA), I then add the cement until its a 'paintable' mixture. If you need to add more water because the mix is too hard just a little more PVA as well

I used this mixture to paint the walls of our shower block and its still good ten years later!!

I have found my missing 5 lt tub of PVA. Is the dilution the correct way round mikey 1 water to 3 parts pva then mix in some cement?

confused confused
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 5:28 pm

exactly that Peter! Its going to be a great addition to your layout (and all virtually caused by accident!!)

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 12:02 pm

mikeyh wrote:
exactly that Peter! Its going to be a great addition to your layout (and all virtually caused by accident!!)

mikey

Had a go Mikey, yesterday evening, but I think my cement was probably off as it ended up as roughcast, and now it’s raining (but shouldn’t complain about that) next dry day I will try with some new cement.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 pm

If its 'peaking' it could be that your mix is a little too stiff? You want it so that when you dip your brush in and hold it up it!

mikey drips off but doesnt fall off
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:11 pm

mikeyh wrote:
If its 'peaking' it could be that your mix is a little too stiff? You want it so that when you dip your brush in and hold it up it!

mikey drips off but doesnt fall off

No mike I mean lumps, the cement had been in the bag over winter, I tried to re constitute it back to powder to no avail…. Cheapskate that I am.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Lumps? that is an extreme form of roughcast!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 4:26 pm

After a short delay for a trip back to the UK, this is the rendered washed result for the Snow / avalanche shed I used fresh cement this time so much smother and creamier.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 2011_06170015

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 2011_06170016

Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 4:30 pm

I collected a couple of standard LGB carriages while I was there also, they will do for small visitors.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 2011_06170017
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 4:34 pm

that really looks the business Peter!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 am

I have been working on my cobbled yard in front of the brewery, anyone any ideas on the best way to paint them and what colour? Probably a spray can is the best but I am no artist and the colour is concerning me. At the moment the cobbles are body filler grey which isn’t actually too far from reality I think ‘Grey Granit’ but I could do with painting them to cover up a few of the blemishes
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Peter, i'd recommend trying this on a small, well-hidden area if possible:
Try applying some white paint with a sponge, being careful not to overload it. Then do the same with a sandy colour, then finally with black. You should end up with a speckled effect not too far removed from granite.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 12:37 pm

I am doing a trip to the UK shortly to see a new Grand daughter so will use the opportunity to stock up ao some paint of the correct colours, thanks for the tip Clive. its a moderate area of about 200mm x 1200mm to start with.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 2011_09060003

This is a view of the work so far. Working inside to save the back but I am sure you will get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne
Page 14 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next