Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion

Go down 
+7
GWhizz
Mike B
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
KleineDicke
clive_t
Paulus
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 5:33 pm

I love the brake cab and neat electrics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks guys!

Carl, good observation about the lever! I was already suspecting comments about it Wink
Actually it is in it's right position now but in "real" there would be an opening in the side so the lever can be operated from the inside of the cab (and that way the lever can be spin around what would be impossible now because it would be blocked by the side). Those openings were covered with some sort of half round cover like the one showed on the picture below.

I did not made the opening because it would not be visible (and I was afraid it would weaken the construction) but I still have to place a cover over it. I have to figure out a way to make it removable in order to be able to remove the lever to remove the cab to remove the battery (actually, that is a lot of removing...)

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 Bremse12
Original picture on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brakeman's_cabin

Paul
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 7:21 am

Paul, I never knew they were like that, external but with a coverand acesss inside.
The only ones I have ever seen were either operated outside or fully inside. But it's not something I've made a real study of.

You learn somthing all the time. study

So no need to move your brake handle at all then.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Some smaller detailing. The tank opening is made out of a small nut, a piece of small chain and a small plastic cap.

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007155modified-vi339

With a bit of paint it looks convincing enough for me.

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007160modified-vi473

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007161modified-vi

Roofside from styrene.

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007157modified-vi

The railing on the other side made out of the cutted railing of the car. The soft LGB plastic was amazingly easy to glue with the cheapest sort of superglue (2 tubes for 99 cent). Also some detailing on the lantern, grip made out of a piece of paperclip.
The cover for the lever is made out of the plastic base of a roll of tape. The top is a piece of styrene. It has some rivets on top (made in the white glue style) but they are hardly noticeable. I have to do them over. Also it only has a base color and needs finishing.

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007163modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007162modified-vi

On to the platform and ladders...

Paul
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Amazing detail with that drain cap.

The brake lever cover makes sense now.

First class model.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:51 am

The drain looks like a standard tank car connect fitting (I work in a chemical plant, so I'm familiar with these). It looks great, especially with the cap and chain.

Did you move the tank towards the end of the car to make room for the cabin?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Paul if you are going to leave this vunerable precious wagon standing in a siding may I suggest a bucket hanging from the drain cap suitably half filled with finest model vin ordinaire.... drunken

There are always customers!

"Quelqu'un a dit vin ?"

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 Speeder38

figures by Clive
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:23 pm

LOL! Those are great looking "clochards" Carl! drunken

Bill, the tank is in it's original position. If you look at the first picture in this topic you can see the tank is placed this way factory wise.
Actually, now I'm looking at it I notice I've turned the tank 180 degrees; you can see it on the hinges of the lid on top of the tank.

I'm in doubt. I planned to make 2 ladders on each site and a platform on top across the tank. But I'm leaning to the idea to make just one ladder next to the cabin and a platform alongside the tank. Something like this...
...mmmmm... decisions, decisions....scratch

Paul
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Paul:
I asked about the tank position because I have a similar Lehmann tank wagon and the tank is much closer to the handrailing/platform. I don't think there is room for any sort of cabin. In fact, you'd have to be a very skinny brakeman to fit on the platform.

I like the ladder/walkway idea from the photo.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Bill, it is possible to replace the tank easy. There are 4 slots in the bottom (see picture). The tank only uses 2 (the most left or the most right, just how you look at it...). I think in your case you can unscrew the tank and use the other slots; you can win about an inch by this. You first have to unscrew the bottom from the chassis, than you can get to the screws that keep the tank in place.

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007111-vi
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Pouring rain outside, so it's building time!
Started with the platform, I think the pictures tell enough:

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007167modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007169modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007170modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007171modified-vi

It's still a dry fit, so the platform is hanging slope a bit. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Fixed and painted:

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007182modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007177modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007180modified-vi

The grate floorplates are made out of mosquito maze (the grey kind you can buy in DIY stores).

A bit of a blurry picture, but it gives a nice impression of the lantern. The phot was taken during a test to see if the car did not get stuck in the tunnel (luckily it did not!!!).

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 S5007175modified-vi

Paul
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Outstanding piece of work, Paulus. The walkway and handrail really finished it off nicely.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 3:31 am

VERY nice Paul!
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks all!
Just a few doorhandles and a little hatch for the small window, some paint ups and I call it done. All I need are some moments of un-interrupted free-time... silent
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 2:55 am

Paulus wrote:
Thanks all!
All I need are some moments of un-interrupted free-time... silent
Let me know how one manages to do that.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 9:54 am

That mesh is a brill idea - you're flying along now
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Paul:
Here's a mate for your tanker. A Remy-Martin Tanker. A bit pricey, though, and it seems it's in the wrong box.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 8:11 am

KleineDicke wrote:
Paul:
Here's a mate for your tanker. A Remy-Martin Tanker. A bit pricey, though, and it seems it's in the wrong box.

Shocked drunken pirat I presume it comes with a tank full of the aforesaid liquid at that price......
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 9:42 am

NICE! Never seen that one before.
But... champaign in a tanker? It must be handled very carefully otherwise the top hatch pops off!! Fontains of champaign!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 am

Actually its Cognac so explosions drunken

But it does go to prove my theory that all it is good for is stripping paint Razz After all, no self respecting vintage or decent anything would be seen in anything other than a carefully laid down bottle. If its moved by the tanker load then its a domestic cleaning product. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 am

Paulus wrote:
NICE! Never seen that one before.
But... champaign in a tanker? It must be handled very carefully otherwise the top hatch pops off!! Fontains of champaign!!! cheers
Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 833270 bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
FINE CHAMPAGNE = COGNAC Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 11:41 am

Mike B wrote:
Actually its Cognac so explosions drunken

But it does go to prove my theory that all it is good for is stripping paint Razz After all, no self respecting vintage or decent anything would be seen in anything other than a carefully laid down bottle. If its moved by the tanker load then its a domestic cleaning product. Wink

Auwks! Cognac instead of champaign, huh....
You see how far my knowledge of poisons go...! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Don't know about cognac or liqueurs, but wine is still transported in a less elegant way today as one wants to believe it is... SNCF modern wine tanker...
But it's probably the supermarket brand Wink

Pernod did it in the past in a more elegant way, a "wagon reservoir", looks like a "camouflaged" tan car: Pernod wagon

And what about this beuatifull Dujardin tankcar (that one is tempting to model!).

I once read a very interesting topic on transporting wines by rail... Have to run through my favourits to find it...
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Foud it! Some interesting stuff on wine transport: Forum LR Presse - Transport de Vin

Many interesting and inspirational pictures, also a lot of beautiful and atmospheric pics about the Bercy "entrepĂ´ts" in Paris.

These Byrrh tankcars and -trucks look nice also: BYRRH
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 1:20 pm

We ship some of the products (non-toxic chemical) from the plant where I work in large rubber bladder bags (called Flexi-Tanks), stuffed inside a standard shipping container. The shipping company told me these bags are also used in France to ship wine. I didn't ask what brand. affraid
Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 Sub_flexitank_pics

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Great photos on that LR Presse link.

Those wine tankers going through the street....imagine those going past your house.
I would just have one of those wagon turntables fitted right outside my gate. Cool drunken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next