Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion

Go down 
+7
GWhizz
Mike B
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
KleineDicke
clive_t
Paulus
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Great photos on that LR Presse link.

Those wine tankers going through the street....imagine those going past your house.
I would just have one of those wagon turntables fitted right outside my gate. Cool drunken
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:02 am

lol! Chaps, your point being????

As I said, if it goes by the tanker load, its a domestic cleaning product. Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 448877

Its certainly not fine wine or fine anything else...

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:29 am

If you look at the wine consuption 60 or even only 30 year ago, there's a lot of difference now, it's like the country gone sober.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:48 am

I think that wine consumption in general has gone more 'upmarket'.
Also I remember the days here when wine came in crates with simple screw or clamp top bottles like beer. The deposit on the bottle was more than the cost of the wine.

In Corsica for example that was the wine industry 25-30 years ago. They even used to deliver it by donkey or mule with panniers and a little old man with a stick singing as he went along. Now it's gone like the internet with fancy and expensive domaine names.

Plus we have 'bag in the box' (forbidden now in this household due to its 'accessibility') which has replaced much of the 'vine de table' daily bottled consumption.

I personally don't mind a bit of 'domestic cleaning product rouge' as long as it is given plenty of air.
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 12:14 pm

In fact 50 years ago the average per person was 120 l now it's arround 40 l per year.
The quality improved really a lot, we are producing a lot for the export now and bad quality wine is nearly off the market

But France is not anymore at the first place for wine consuption, now the US are first with the italian behind, we are at the 3rd place, but not for long other conuntry are rising fast, like china well.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:27 pm

The big question of course is were the wine tank wagons lined with glass or similar material.
Or was the wine just sloshed about in steel tanks.

I think wine and (mild) steel would make a bit of a chemical reaction.
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

It might have improved the flavour though! Laughing

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 12:05 am

Mike B wrote:
Carl Hibbs wrote:

It might have improved the flavour though! Laughing

Mike

lol!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:55 am

A little off subject (why not- this thread has veered all over the place already), but there was a time when it was believed transporting tea in steel hulled ships tainted its flavor. For this reason, wooden sailing ships (Tea Clippers) were employed well into the age of steam.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:41 am

Well that is of course why wine (back on subject.... Wink ) was and still is stored and.... transported in wooden (often oak) barrels, fûts de chêne.
France is a country where barrel making (tonnellerie) continues to be an art.

Tonnellerie JP

Of course there are plenty of barrel wagon models in G scale:

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 Wine_w10

I had a number of these vehicles in actual service as 'stealth trains' to move wine about the network in order to avoid the 'domestic intake surveillance authority'. Laughing pirat

There is this rather nice kit too of a barrel wagon/

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 7517-b10

Wassertanklore
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 5:22 pm

I think the right name fore those kind of tankcars is: "wagon foudre" study
And there are some very interesting ones indeed!
Perhaps a nice scratchbuild project... Mmmm.....

There are some very nice pictures of of these barrel cars (and wine tankers!) on: ParisEnImages, like these:

Approvisionnement en vins aux entrepôts de Bercy, en prévision de la guerre. Paris, juillet 1914
(or is it a home delivery at the Hibbs residence?)

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 331-14

Paris. Wagons-foudres de la Halle aux vins aux entrepôts de Bercy 1926:

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 9472-3

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 9472-9

And I like this (model)scene!:

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 2006aout-foudre&citroenH-800-CTO(found it on Cercle du Zero)

Paul
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Paulus wrote:
I think the right name fore those kind of tankcars is: "wagon foudre" study

Approvisionnement en vins aux entrepôts de Bercy, en prévision de la guerre. Paris, juillet 1914
(or is it a home delivery at the Hibbs residence?)

Paul

drunken cheers At last my own private siding. I wish....
Although if there was such a track going down this road it would have to go past the Mayor's house...
He'd have all the Grand Cru and I'd just be left with the Vin Ordinaire.

Great pics from Paris and that last one of the model and the HY made me laugh....'Hedgehog Cooperative'.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:17 pm

FINALY FINISHED!!!! Razz

Doorhandles and little viewing opening hatch in place. I think I call it done!
Or.... does the big hatch on top of the tank need some sort of wheel to open and close it? Or should I leave it like this?

I made the shunter figure out of Fimo clay last year but I added a flag and did some minor repainting. It looks nice although it is a bit bigger than most figures (more 1:20 scale). Ah well, it's just a big lad! pirat
Flag is made out of a toothpick and a piece of sodacan.

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 S5007184modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 S5007185modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 S5007188modifiedII-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 S5007187modifiedII-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 S5007193modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 S5007189modified-vi

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 S5007192modified-vi

Paul
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Superb piece of work there Paul. I like the figure too Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 9:17 pm

EXcellent, the figure looks a bit intimidating though. Not sure I'd want him delivering wine here!
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
EXcellent, the figure looks a bit intimidating though. Not sure I'd want him delivering wine here!

He looks a bit surly, maybe he has had a nip or two en route?
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks guys!

Yep, the figure is on alert, making sure this clochard is not getting too near... tongue
And off course he's getting a nip now and then (more now than then)! That's a secondary working condition Wink
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Quote :
We ship some of the products (non-toxic chemical) from the plant where I work in large rubber bladder bags (called Flexi-Tanks), stuffed inside a standard shipping container. The shipping company told me these bags are also used in France to ship wine. I didn't ask what brand.
Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 Sub_flexitank_pics

Bill, I find some information this is done by a wine company called Corta Hojas (Chili?): http://www.cortahojas.com/eng/granel.html#

"One container can carry 10,000 liters of bottled wine, compared with 24,000 liters in a Flexitank. More than twice the capacity that naturally produces considerable savings in transportation costs. Also CO2 emissions are estimated to be reduced by up to 50%.
The Flexitank transforms a 20-foot ISO container into a single transport system for bulk wine ... we like to use the mark Flexitanks TOD, which incorporates the latest technology in materials to create a barrier that minimizes the possibility of the deterioration of the product."

NOW THAT'S WINE IN A BOX!!!

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 Flexitanks
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Hey, what happened to all the pics on construction in this thread? I went to look back at how it all started, and a lot of the images are gone!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 9:06 pm

They are still there I think Clive...I've just had a look...What do you see instead of pictures?

...or maybe it's mad cow disease.Twisted Evil

BTW I'm going to split this thread into two as it really has become 2 subjects now.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 9:48 am

Pictures are still here as far as I can see...
Could it be that the site that host the images was down perhaps? (hey it's a free service!)

But all pictures are visible at: http://public.fotki.com/SmallGardenRailway/citerne-margnat/

Paul
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 10:09 am

I have split the posts about about milk transport and created another topic here.

Milk transport
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 10:51 am

I think the problem lies with the small Linux-based Asus laptop i use occasionally when I am downstairs - it still uses an old version of Firefox as a browser. I can see the pictures ok on the actual photo hosting site link, though - also, all my Photobucket pics show up ok in my posts on here. Weird...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion    Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wagon citerne "Margnat" / LGB tankcar conversion
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3