Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

K&NWLR: Update on progress

Go down 
+9
tram47
Paulus
dtsteam
Tacbob
Carl Hibbs
KleineDicke
mike
GWhizz
k&nwlr
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
clive_t

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Some superb modelling on show here!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 8:03 am

Many thanks. Looking forward to posting some more stuff soon, but first I have to take a saw to some of the scenery to fit it in .....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Damp and cold out, so I´ve finally gone back down into the cellar to do some long needed landscaping and tree planting around Stokesay Castle. If the National Trust knew that I had turned it into a rack railway station (work in progress) they might be in contact with Interpol. Better keep my head down.

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13924029364_33268648d5_cK&NWLR: Stokesay Castle in the background with bridge of rack railway (in prep.), and a Pearse W&L "Earl" on the upper loop, and  a Peter Angus Single Fairlie on the lower. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13900509982_26bc1f1ff5_cK&NWLR: Both parts of Stokesay Castle after landscaping and tree planting by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13900320371_b5b20eb8fa_cK&NWLR: Left hand end of Stokesay Castle by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13923506115_199bf0d172_cK&NWLR: Stokesay Castle from below with rack railway entrance to the right by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13900418476_0f7426951f_cK&NWLR: View of Stokesay castle from the level of the company warehouse by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 7:35 am

A quick flashback to the photos of Stokesay castle, which has been "given" an unexpected rack railway station. After ordering in 2012, finally the Regner live steam rack railway Rigi No 7 arrived on Friday. They forgot to install R/C, which is going to be a problem (see photo below), but I think I´ll deal with it myself, rather than giving it back.

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13924029364_33268648d5_cK&NWLR: Stokesay Castle in the background with bridge of rack railway (in prep.), and a Pearse W&L "Earl" on the upper loop, and  a Peter Angus Single Fairlie on the lower. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Stokesay Castle in the background with bridge of rack railway (in prep.), and a Pearse W&L "Earl" on the upper loop, and  a Peter Angus Single Fairlie on the lower. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14030222243_cfe867d78d_cK&NWLR: Rack railway with Portmeirion base station and Regner "Rigi No 7" locomotive and Perfect World coaches with sloping seats. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14006933342_e52ecd6274_cK&NWLR: Regner Rigi No. 7 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14010612194_c71bcb990e_cK&NWLR. Regner Rigi No. 7 by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyFri May 02, 2014 9:57 am

All amassing stuff. I am giving up with my outside railway and following you indoors. J
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptySun May 04, 2014 9:08 am

French Chuffed wrote:
All amassing stuff. I am giving up with my outside railway and following you indoors. J

Initially, I had suggested to the current Ms K&NWLR, that I would think about a little point to point line on a bookshelf ... these indoor things have a habit of developing beyond the first draft ..... And this is just the (smaller) Kent side of the Kent & North Wales Light Railway.

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14082507793_524389f84a_cK&NWLR: Kent - an overview of the Kentish side of the layout. The Wallace & Gromit space rocket next to the half-timbered building is a termporary attraction. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14082542103_5335d70cbb_cK&NWLR: Kent - the view from the castle toward the oast house and St Trinian´s. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14082762003_1652132d28_cK&NWLR: Kent - looking back at the castle with the Gn15 line to the left of the lower loop, ending underneath the upper loop bridge. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14059347392_09f002ec6d_cK&NWLR: Kent - the Green Man pub to the right, St Trinian´s in the background and the oast house to the left. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14062590055_1115095bb5_cK&NWLR: Kent - the bridge across the river at St Trinian´s Halt, with the oast house and St. Trinian´s to the right. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14082601443_08cd7beb0f_cK&NWLR: Kent - the Kentish corner with a mill building in the background. Watch this space for new Canterbury buildings soon. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14063096754_9713bc783f_cK&NWLR: Kent - the terminus station on the left with the village and pub above the upper loop in the background. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14063131894_98f9a5e208_cK&NWLR: Kent - a view onto the Kent terminus station with footbridge. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14063155484_94f6cb7ace_cK&NET: Kent - a view over the Kent terminus looking up to the pub above the upper loop. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptySun May 04, 2014 9:59 am

Well it won’t be up to your standard and I only have been allocated 12 m x 3 m ish so in the planning stage at the moment.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptySun May 04, 2014 10:39 am

French Chuffed wrote:
Well it won’t be up to your standard and I only have been allocated 12 m x 3 m ish so in the planning stage at the moment.

That´s still a lot to play with. End to end or are you going to attempt a loop?
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptySun May 04, 2014 11:25 am

I am going to attempt a loop, dog bone shape covering the full 12 meters, with a crawl under to gain access in the middle, (but my wife reminds me my back though it’s going to improve) I love your multilevel approach, I really need to do some serious thinking.

I will also going to try to utilise as much of the outside buildings and Bridges as I can. 
It’s along time since I attempted an indoor layout back in the 70’s which was a basic end to end station layout on 00 in a loft somewhere in Dorset.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptySun May 04, 2014 8:15 pm

That would have been my second question. I got some good advice when I started. One piece was to choose a multi-level layout, as it gave more scope for action and provide depth.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyMon May 05, 2014 6:45 am

Just a few questions, what is the maximum width of any of your boards, discounting corners. What height did you start at I have gone for 3’ (sorry 900mm) I am still an old Anglo-Saxon.

I think I am still locked into 00 scale thinking with a flat baseboard as a start and building up and possibly down from there. I have a rack loco so a nice steep gradient would look impressive somewhere.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 8:06 pm

I´m travelling at the moment, so you´ll have to wait for a bit so that I can go down to the cellar and get my tape measure out.

Tonight I´m currently sitting in a McDo (believe it or not), opposite the old SLM locomotive building shops at Winterthur in Switzerland. Sadly, nothing doing nowaways, but it´s a reminder of an industrial past that´s not soooo long gone.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Coming back to the questions concerning the K&NWLR dimensions:

Height of the lower loop is 100cm above sea level or floor; the upper loop is 30cm higher. Why two loops at different heights: Disadvantage - you can forget about running up from the lower to the upper loop, unless you have a couple of 100m at disposal; Advantage: I was in the cellar and the only natural light was from two small windows at the top of one wall. Why not use all the space and put some height and "depth" into the layout. You´d be surprised about how height fools the eye into viewing things in perspective (and of course you can cheat a little on the buildings to help, too).

Depth is a little more tricky. I started off with a "rule" of 110cm depth of baseboard between front and wall. Along the straight parts I´ve kept to that (if you exclude the terminus stations which jut out at each end of the room. Of course, going round corners is a little more tricky. I´ve made it a rule that the upper loop should always be able to be reached by a number 6 iron golf club (don´t ask, but I feel that they are of more use to me here). That means with an arm and a golf club, you can manoeveur a stopped train (live steam) to an access point. Of course , in the corners the scenery is further away. I´ve made sure that the baseboards support me kneeling on the lower loop to reach the parts behind (using a wooden board to kneel on). Where I really need access, there is an "emergency" access point (make sure shoulders fit). If you look carefully at my photos in Kent, you´ll see a lot of birch trees and weeping willows in one corner. Hidden behind the viaduct is an access point, which I will use very shortly to re-landscape the corner and add more buildings. And yes, I won´t paper over the access point, but simply stick stuff on top, which can then be removed.

Live steam: It works inside, and it´s a joy, but if you think electricity to the rail is a problem, you ain´t seen nothing yet. But it´s worth the effort for the sheer excitement of seeing the steam.

All for now, but I look forward to progress reports.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyMon May 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I got so carried away during landscaping the corner around Stokesay Castle (see prev. page), that I decided to install a little Treddol slate station below, which will get the name Stokesay Halt. If it looks as though it´s in the middle of a building site, then there´s a good reason. It´s a still a real building site still missing the slate platform, entrance, steps, and greenery.
But after putting the station into place, there was no going back with a job that I had been putting off, that is building dry stone walling in real slate to match the station. This was something of an experiment.
I first built a foundation of modelling clay to provide a base into which to push the first layer of slate. The I did a little practice around the station, before I set out to build around 90cm (or 3 foot in old money) worth of walling round to the point where the rack railway will cross both tracks. It´s not perfect, but this is as far as I got before running out of slate. There´s a temporary vegetation strip hiding the modelling clay from the camera, and no trees have been planted yet, which will be needed to match the other side of the track.

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13981372219_df7425e2d8_c002 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14168028275_f56f401324_c004 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14168009895_8a740d38ca_c009 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13981382758_af7b9b811f_c007 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13981365000_cdee35d1ca_c012 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14188090603_1971870982_c015 by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyMon May 12, 2014 5:42 pm

No your kidding us you have been to North Wales taking photographs.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyTue May 13, 2014 6:43 am

Mais non! Here´s the proof. They don´t have French glue in North Wales.

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 13988526229_a3a10c62e7_c002 by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 10:43 am

I love your stone wall, where did you get the stone from ?
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 12:09 pm

I got the Treddol people, who do the station in slate, to cut the stone for me.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 2:03 pm

That background is so realistic your quite an artist.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Still got the trees to plant and the static grass to do - amongst a number of other jobs around the station. I´ll post pics when I´ve finished.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 3:48 pm

I just got this pic, so I wanted to share. Let´s imagine that the French Decauville company opened a branch office in North Wales to take advantage of the rapidly expanding slate business transporting from the quarry to the harbour, with the appropriate locos. And then there´s the question of whether the Welsh weather would have required an enclosed cab .....

Here´s a pic from of the locos by Geoff who runs Lightline and did the livery, here photoed on his tracks in Yorks. after lining out, together with a little idea that is developing in my idle mind.

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14005686507_b385f40939_cK&NWLR: Decauvilles with lining by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 12682202963_9e2fa8ded4_cK&NWLR: Decauville 3 ton closed cab design by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyFri May 16, 2014 7:00 am

Here are the other pics from Geoff for your amusement. Now all I have to do is wait for Geoff to get to the post office .....

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14010081479_8b72498e5c_cDecauville 7t with lining by kandnwlr, on Flickr

K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 14010121080_920419d59b_cDecauville 3t with lining by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyFri May 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Fantastic! But I wonder how do you manage with dust. Everything looks so clean and fresh. i would expect the dust and dirt would spoil the thing in a very quick time.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyFri May 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Saint-Oblas wrote:
Fantastic! But I wonder how do you manage with dust. Everything looks so clean and fresh. i would expect the dust and dirt would spoil the thing in a very quick time.

These ones look clean because they´re fresh out of the paint shop. The other stuff looks - well - "used"  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptySun May 18, 2014 3:36 pm

That's some fantastic scenery with the slate dry walling as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 EmptyMon May 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Dry stone walling would look even better if I hadn´t run out of Welsh slate .... and it´s quite a walk to Wales
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: K&NWLR: Update on progress   K&NWLR: Update on progress - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

K&NWLR: Update on progress
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next