Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy Empty
PostSubject: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 12:21 pm

This is completely remote from garden trains but is continental though!

Whilst browsing various webistes etc in the quest to move north west we came across this job with free accomodation.

If anyone likes horses and has some experience in riding and modest training this could be a fantastic opportunity.

Equestrian job

We did speak to the woman and she is very nice. I would have taken it myself but I didn't have enough recent equestrian experience. Razz

And if you thinking what blooming equestrian experience has he got.....

I have been known to get on a horse from time to time. king

Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy Carlho10
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Sounds good, but i'm not sure about the security of tenure with these contract jobs. Nice straight back Carl

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Yes you're right Mikey.

Nice accomodation and a permanent contract but there's always a question mark.

The horse above was over 20 and a real 'mature' gent...a bit like the rider I suppose. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Caroline isn't here to pass a professional comment on your riding style Carl!

However to my untutored eye - it appears to have a military bearing?

Your steed also bears a remarkable resmblance to Zelda, Caroline's mount Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 7:57 pm

My daughter (galop 3 level now) was riding with us that day and she didn't have one good word to say about my riding.

You're on the mark there Brian as I learnt to ride unvoluntarily and unceremoniously with the army in Aldershot in the early eighties.
Wrong place, wrong time and I never learnt 'don't volunteer for anything'. I thought there would be lots of girlie soldiers down at the stables. There were....all big bottomed lesbians.

My initiation was an impromptu "sit on that 'orse, 'ibbs, double quick".

Of course it was the regimental 'mustang' and bolted off at lunatic speed round Tweseldown army race course with me clinging on for my precious life all to the rapturous amusement of a number of onlooking officers. A near death experience.

After that I stupidly 'adopted' a horse - ex hurdles 15/2 thoroughbred (like giving a learner driver a ferrari) for my Wednesday afternoon sport this time being based on the 'plain' and rode out of Tidworth garrison stables (16/21 lancers - death or glory...the former being more appropriate) later transferred to Aborfield and spent pleasant rides around Finchampstead and the occasional sortie with RMA officers snob mob at Sandhurst for drag hunts.

I later part owned another 16 hand thoroughbred-Irish hunter cross which I rode around the Berkshire/Hampshire borders.

I gave up proper riding a little before moving out here.
I've ridden some real oddballs though like Cleveland bays (Army gun carriage pullers)and a jet black Trakhener once (the horse used in the Lloyds bank adverts years ago).

Given the time and resources (another life really) I would ride regularly again.
Obviously a move to Normandy would give us the opportunity for a large piece of land and thus daughter will be nagging father for 'my pretty poney'.

Here she is on the same ride.

Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy Joseho10
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 7:21 am

Carl If you're even half serious about keeping a horse(s). You might consider looking for a minimum one hectare of land. It's not really fair to keep a single horse alone, so you'll need room for a stablemate or a donkey or two for company and a further hectare if you want to produce your own hay for winter feed. Also worth considering having the field/ fields in view of the house - will save you and your daughter endless ferrying to and fro otherwise! Another consideration is trees for shelter and shade otherwise you'll need to build a shelter! And if possible a water supply of some kind!
I don't know about Normandy but agricultural land here is dirt cheap and most people I know have had fields thrown into the deal when they've negotiated!
I expect your more aware than I of the rights of farmers to grazing land? If any farmer is using the land before you buy it, unless you get a formal waiver of their rights before the "acte de vente" you could wait up to ten years to evict them! Here too, the local Chasse (hunt) have rights too, but I don't think that applies in Normandy.

Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother etc, but it's easy to get carried away and I've seen Brits arrive here, think they've bought a farm only to find they can't use it for a decade!

Anyway good luck!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 9:14 am

Thanks Brian, I am mostly versed with the quirks of French planning and habitation.

This grazing and hunting rights stuff is a bit scary. In Corsica where French law and local 'law' apply people can come on to your land and hunt sanglier and they are not too careful with their aim either from high velocity rifles.

You have to get permission NOT to allow hunting on your land and even that is not observed as the boundaries are very unclear.

And yes people can graze their animals too. Okay for the odd horse or donkey but herds of near wild, very stinky mountain goats is bit much.

Getting the land is quite cheap and easy in Normandy but someone will have to look after it. Me!
10,000 sqm is a fair chunk to maintain and realistically I have got bettter things to do now.
A 300 sqm garden with railway only takes an hour's clearing and maintainence each week.

I think my daughter will have to be content with the many riding stables that are around and at sensible rates for lessons and hacks.

We'll see what comes up.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 am

Very sensible, Equine ownership is a big commitment, She'll have to wait until she grows up and marries a millionaire cheers

Then your son in law can treat you to all the Regner a heart desires !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy   Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy Empty

Back to top Go down

Not trains but a job and house offer in Normandy
Page 1 of 1