Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Weekend work affecting trains

Go down 
+5
French Chuffed
Bearcastle
clive_t
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Weekend work affecting trains Empty
PostSubject: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 10:26 am

It's Friday and Monsieur Meteo says 'Il fait beau'...pour le weekend. sunny

So what is happening forum wide 'chez vous'?

What are you all doing?

I sadly maybe running the last trains on the CFG..... Sad

Already some of track has been removed. The entire 'steam up' area has gone now, and some more will go over the next few days. Crying or Very sad

But I am still building trains and may steam up the boiler on the Regner Hanna that is progressing very slowly. drunken
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 10:49 am

my son in law starts two weeks holidays tonight so we are going to make a start tomorrow on trimming our 120 metre long,5 metre high, laurel hedge back to 2m high. My next outside job on the railway is to install the turntable to allow steamers access to the line.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 11:44 am

I will probably be doing something around the house. Also I have, it appears, a shed to assemble... thankfully, it is a G-scale one, obtained from the Llanfair show courtesy of Lineside Delights. I do still have some residual cement-work to complete, but I am waiting for a warmer, drier day than the ones I very recently experienced in Dublin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Hello,

I removed the line on the terrasse, the tile are coming soon.

Sad
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 12:59 pm

I will be hobbling around the house thinking of all the things I should be doing (no sympathy required).
Probably thinking about the bridge I need to build for next year that will be the major project, and to get the outer loop completed. Plus of course a list of other things as long as your arm.
(No pressure, it a hobby so I just enjoy the getting there.)
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Caro's been away all week working back in the UK so I've been horse and donkey minding and doing the housework Mad That coupled with some monsoon conditions means that the railway hasn't been touched this week - so a weekend of leaf clearance, grass cutting and generl tidying in prospect! Also the weather is now cool and humid enough to see a steam plume so "Zelda" may get a run or two.

The evenings have been spent considering some future developments :-

Exclamation An analogue Catenary powered loop to run Trams to the "village"

Exclamation And or a rack railway.

Exclamation A cable car has arrived to cross the lake

Exclamation A stone and log "cabin" to replace the tent as an outside operating and storage area.

Just ideas at the moment but it's always nice to be thinking ahead!

bon weekend
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 2:03 pm

GWhizz wrote:

Exclamation A stone and log "cabin" to replace the tent as an outside operating and storage area.

bon weekend

Including a shaded "steam up" area specially for Van Wink
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 3:47 pm

I like the analogue tramway idea and as I have a few trams that is something I would consider too in the future even if just a short section.

How would you do the catenary, scratch or ready built?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I like the analogue tramway idea and as I have a few trams that is something I would consider too in the future even if just a short section.

How would you do the catenary, scratch or ready built?

Ready built I'm afraid - 14 metres worth on it's way from Deutschland !

It came up up "buy it now" on German Ebay - so couldn't resist!
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 5:03 pm

I have had to leave the railway behind, but I did start the work to give me two independent loops. Because the railway is not allowed in part of the garden, I have come up with a scheme which will give me one loop inside the other - the outer loop can then be extended across the bottom of the garden. This winter in UK I have the following projects:

Rewiring the Billard so it has red rear lights: I have got this done and now just need to tidy iup the wiring

Replacing the Bachmann railtruck gearbox in the chassis of the De Dion - Bachmann sent me a new gearbox and I think that by altering the speed curve on the decoder I can stop the engine racing and striopoing the cogs on the nylon gear;

Using a further Bachmann railtruck chassis and some plastic coach body parts to produce something that looks like a Saurer railbus

Chipping an ex-Playmobile motor block to motorise my Acopoca RS4 body (cheating by giving it two bogies...

That'll do!

Phil
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Last week I finished laying the last of the track bed for the extension using 3ft by 6ins concrete square edging pieces. I have laid these on sand and just concreted the ends together to form a solid continuous bed. Dont know whether I will lay the track until next spring.

Tonight I will spray the primer on 2 wooden scratch build coaches that are half finished. Cant figure how to make the rooves removable and still look accurate. I think I will bolt a couple passengers up the derriere and fasten them into the coaches with nuts and araldite/nutlock.
I guess the lighting will be maintenance free using half volts on the gow bulbs. I think the rooves will have to be permanent because of the end balcony construction.

I have been searching ebay for a cheap 4 stroke to meet Carl's target of a FEVE live diesel next year. Not surprisngly I cant find a new and a cheap one.

Only other current project is to finish the overall roof for Villaviciosa station. It is 2/3rds finished and based on the loco shed building at Leon La Robla. Photos to follow.

Sunday its off to Pompey for another little sojourn to Dinan, care of Brittany Ferries, and if I can persuade my travelling companions, maybe a little train ride from Dol to Rennes and the trams.

Best wishes, David.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 12:48 am

With any luck I'll be able to run this weekend, probably the last time for the year, between the falling leaves and the falling temperatures.

cheers,
Scot O.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 7:13 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
It's Friday and Monsieur Meteo says 'Il fait beau'...pour le weekend. sunny

He lied......Il pleut. scratch

David, that sounds like a good weekend, look forward to the photos plus any of the journey to Dinan.

Scot, there is another thread on here about what you do for Winter.
How cold does it get where you are? I have no ideas what Winters are like over there.
Here (around Paris) it is much the same as the UK just a couple of degees milder perhaps and a centimtere or 2 less rain.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 11:01 am

Scot , Scot , Scot don't do it Exclamation

Run ? Can't remember the last time I did that. I thought it had been banned along with creosote, as possibly harmful.

Paint runs, trains run but people - err I don't think so some how. Are you on the right forum ?

clown clown clown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 1:59 pm

pjti,

I identify with my trains so much that I say I'm running when I'm actually referring to them. Surprised When it comes to actually running (as in foot races) I agree with you, I never touch the stuff. Strictly le cyclisme for me.

Carl,

I'll answer your questions in the Winters thread (so no one accuses me of drifting off topic).

cheers,
Scot O.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weekend work affecting trains   Weekend work affecting trains Empty

Back to top Go down

Weekend work affecting trains
Page 1 of 1