Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Skeleton Edrig

Go down 
+6
Admin
Paul Stainz Holt
pjti
GWhizz
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Eh....what....who.....me....? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Back on track with some modelling and first impressions of a tram body on the Edrig chassis.

I'm making a mock up in plasticard which could possibly be used as a model in it's own right later rather than paper or card and throw it away.

Here is a start to get the basic idea and form.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Edrig6

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Edrig7

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Edrig8

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Edrig9

I need to think about side skirts or not, but I don't want to hide the motion.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Before you decide on skirts surely you should consider the era you're modelling and what's under them ????

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Unders10
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 pm

Naw. Leave the skirts off, let the air get to the moving bits!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 7:34 pm

GWhizz wrote:

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Unders10

You forgot 2010:

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 BSN7205218
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 7:43 pm

All joking aside i dont arf like the look of that Carl!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 8:51 pm

I think you boys are 'avin a larf this weekend. Laughing

Thanks Mikey but it's early days yet.

I just wanted to visualise a box body first of all.

I think it will have skirts on it but the panels will open or be open revealing the sexy motion underneath.

The upper superstructure will be a bit more filligree which is easier to do in brass anyway.

I don't think I will change anything on the Accucraft loco except add a water filler valve.

To be continued.
Back to top Go down
bruce

bruce

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 10:57 pm

Tram body, open underframe - Chiemseebahn style? Die Chiemseebahn
Back to top Go down
http://www.hdlr.moonfruit.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 9:00 am

Well, despite a busy week at work with a new customer, the manager of a company that makes incontinence pants ( silent ) and needs to know all the grammar and vocabulary in English for their range of products - I've finished the plastic mock up body for the tram engine.

This is in simple plasticard to see the proportions and how it will fit over the skeleton Edrig.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Edrigp10

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Edrigp11

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Edrigp12

Now I think...bring on the brass.
I will need to order a bit more from l'Octant this week....
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 9:08 am

thats looking good Carl! When you make it in brass will you be able to use the plastic body on an electric motored engine?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Yes, Mikey.....That is the plan even if it becomes just a static model or maybe just use a free rolling chassis with side skirts to hide the lack of motion parts. Then we could have (dummy)double heading. We'll see. I have a playmobil steam loco (ex daughter's now she's horse riding) so that could make a base.

I noticed though that this Edrig is quite a long chassis for a four coupled loco and indeed most tram engines are rather shorter than this. I was thinking where I could chop the Edrig chassis but that is going too far.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Really smart piece of work there Carl. I'm looking forward to seeing the brass version.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 5:39 pm

That's coming on a treat !
I like the door handle and grab rail at the back - will it be a working door on the finished model?

Is that an LGB Stainz rear light I see??

If you do chop the chassis and are throwing away odd bits like the boiler, gas tank, lubricator, cylinders, etc. Just let me know!

B
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 7:59 pm

GWhizz wrote:
That's coming on a treat !
I like the door handle and grab rail at the back - will it be a working door on the finished model?
Maybe...I have some G scale hinges in brass.

GWhizz wrote:
Is that an LGB Stainz rear light I see??
No it isnt it's a Regner front lamp in non-dissolvable brass.

GWhizz wrote:
If you do chop the chassis and are throwing away odd bits like the boiler, gas tank, lubricator, cylinders, etc. Just let me know!
B

clown
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:25 am

Well. I started a little bit of brass work for the tram body and then had to stop as I needed some more pieces and sheet from l'Octant.

The parcel should have arrived on Thursday but I was out......so here we go again with the great French postal saga.

I told you post offices can be hell here. They have now lost my parcel.

After 2 visits to the local post office dodging the invalides, papis and mamis who get priority.

This is the latest today.

Pleasantries exchanged.

Englishman "Ou est mon colis svp".
Stupid postal clerk "Errr...mmm.... zut....merde.... Oh..Il n'est pas perdu monsieur !"
Angry Englishman "Il est ou alors ?"
Stupid postal clerk "Je ne sais pas mais ce n'est pas perdu.'
Angrier Englishman "MAIS, donc il est ou Monsieur ?"
Stupid postal clerk "Peut-être il a fait des bêtises mais err... c'est sûr le colis n'est pas perdu".
Even angrier Englishman "Qui a fait des bêtises et OU EST MON COLIS ?"

After suffering this ridiculous conversion for 10 mins. It transpires that the delivery postmen do 'silly things' and don't know what they have done with parcels.

Stupid postal clerk "Je vais appeller le facture monsieur n'inquietiez pas.... monkey .'
Fuming Englishman "OU EST MON COLIS ?".
Stupid postal clerk "Je ne sais pas err.....exactement. Il n'est pas ...err....ici mais ce n'est pas perdu."
Stupid Englishman leaves post office emppty handed as I had too work.

I will be back there later today. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:36 am

Daw Carl, let me translate for you; hes trying to tell you he doesnt know where it is ' BUT IT IS NOT LOST' He must travel about 'cos i think he works in our poste as well!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 11:03 am

If he's a balding thick set bloke with bottle top glasses called Claude.......

It's the same one then. Razz

The problem is here we have 4 post offices plus a 'centre distribution courrier'.

Sometime the postie writes on the back of the slip the wrong post office where he's dumped your parcel.
They have a computer system which is supposed to indicate where it is but that's just as unreliable as the dullards operating it.

The small estate one in 'Les Coudreaux' is where it is marked but later today I will try the central one in Chelles. But when you get there after fighting more mamis and papis who go just to talk.

It'll be...

Silly postal clerk girl usually called Claudine or Aurelie. "Ce n'est pas marqué ici monsieur, c'est marqué un autre petit bureau....Les Coudreaux".

So then I have the job of explaining the whole issue.

When I take in the time and cost of several visits to the post office and the postal charges for the package I might just as well have gone to Alsace and collected it myself.

A lot less stress too.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 11:34 am

Ooh la la.

I sympathise Carl, but that is such a different experience to here...

Christine, a French neighbour and deputy mayor, popped round yesterday morning (Sunday) with a parcel under her arm. Apparently our "facteuse" seeing that we were out Saturday morning horse riding#, rather than bother us dropped my, to be signed for, parcel at Christine's house. Result two gleaming s/hand R5 turnouts.

I think you guys need to move to the Charente!

B

# Well Caroline riding and me following on my "velo".
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 12:41 pm

It's a standard reply Carl, I was on PO counters for 12 years and had to put up with people like you a lot. We used to make out we were actually looking for it and stay out back and have a cuppa with the postmen while the masses waited, we actually got thanked for taking the "trouble".

Here in the forgotten north of Spain the postlady comes on Tuesdays and Thursdays if she has enough to make it worth her time. Sometimes we can go for two weeks with no post. We end up with a big bundle some of which has taken 3 weeks to get here.

Manana !!

PAtrick

Oh Maria just rang me - she is just leaving Brussells and has 5 hours to kill in Paris before catching the Madrid train, she is carrying two tins of Golden Syrup yummmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 2:29 pm

pjti wrote:

Oh Maria just rang me - she is just leaving Brussells and has 5 hours to kill in Paris before catching the Madrid train, she is carrying two tins of Golden Syrup yummmmmmmm

She could have come and played trains for a couple hours and I could have liberated the Golden Syrup. Laughing

En fin....I have found my parcel... no thanks to 'me derangez pas Claude' at the small post office. Evil or Very Mad

I went and fought bravely the mamis, papis and poodles at le bureau centrale and eh voila I found after some negotiating my errant brass consignement.

Life in le banlieue is not the same as la compagne. But it's still France. Wink
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Not a great deal of progress since completion of the dummy plastic body as I have been busy exhibiting.

However I have made the bare ends in brass and I'm now looking at the sides.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Edrig110

I took the opportunity of the expo at Lilas to run-in the chassis. It also gave the public a chance to see a naked model steam loco and how it works.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Tempted to make a comment on "naked models" but have resisted!

I thought I spied SE (skeleton edrig) in your pics of the show!

B
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 8:05 am

GWhizz wrote:
I thought I spied SE (skeleton edrig) in your pics of the show!

B

You did indeed. The purpose was twofold. I needed to run it in a little and loosen it up and also it gave the punters a chance to see how a model steam locomotive works.
I still had the daft questions though.

I have to say from my experience though that Accucraft products run pretty much perfectly straight out of the box.
There is no need for great running in periods or special treatment.

I shall get on and do a bit more today. sunny
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 am

Carl, for a 'live steam thickie' could you explain the need for 'running in' and why some need it and some dont?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 pm

You shouldn't be so self-deprecating. Personne est nul !

Depending on the manufacture and the manufacturer some model live steam engines need or benefit from a period of running-in before they become fully controllable.

Like any new metal equipment made with traditional machining methods the assembled parts are often tight and need to bed together.

Some models like the Basic series (Millie etc.) from Roundhouse are assembled and tested at the factory but are not run for any period and thus can be a bit temperamental at first.

The Accucraft Ruby too.

At the other end of the scale a homebuilt Regner kit with full working valve gear will certainly need some careful honing of parts and running on compressed air before any gas is lit.

As the motion becomes 'looser' so the locomotive generally becomes more supple and controllable.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks Carl, So it's really a question of you gets what you pay for?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Skeleton Edrig
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next