Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Skeleton Edrig

Go down 
+6
Admin
Paul Stainz Holt
pjti
GWhizz
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks Carl, So it's really a question of you gets what you pay for?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Well as promised I've been at the flux and solder again.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig111

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig112

It was really important to get everything square in both planes and for the body to be a close but not tight fight on the chassis.
So I made a wooden block soldering jig 1mm larger than the Edrig chassis.

The roof formers were all kept in line and square by using threaded rods. This allows very precise adjustment and alignment. These will be removed when the roof is all soldered up.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm

blimey I wouldnt have even thought about using threaded rods to keep it square!! I'm learning as i'm watching.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 7:28 pm

I've now soldered the lower frame runners.
Notice the bottom one sits ouside while the one above sits inside the angled ends.
It has to be like this otherwise it won't fit over the chassis! A mistake I originally made on the dummy plastic body.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig113

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig114

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig115

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig116

Notice in this last picture the small (but insignificant) misalignment of the Accucraft boiler fittings, dome, saftey valve, regulator.

They are all very slightly off centre. You only notice it from this angle. My centre holes are....in the centre....honest!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 pm

dont wanna sound like creep but that is beautiful workmanship Carl. it sort of comes alive in brass!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Cracking on with a bit more today while I had a lesson cancel.

More framework.
Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig117

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig118

And some solid sides!
Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig119

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig211

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig214

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig213

The side panels were a tad difficult to solder without distorting the rest of the framework. A bit of deft pencil torch work and asbestos fingers. Shocked

With hindsight I should have started with those and constructed it diffrently. I just made more work for myself this way.

Then I wasn't happy with bottom rail so I changed it for 1.5mm thick.

I think the roof could be next. Now where's the wife's rolling pin? Smile
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:55 pm

That's looking so good!

Almost tempted to rip the body off my Edrig!

I'd better save my pennies for when Track Shack get their expected delivery of Skeleta, in June?

B
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 8:56 pm

A bit more again today.
This time the roof.

It scares me a little with the rising cost of raw materials and taking such a large piece of virgin brass and trying to get it right first time.

So we adopted the 'Gwhizz' method of roof rolling. Laughing

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig215

Take a large round metal bar longer than the piece you want to roll, a meaty piece of semi dense foam and then roll..... but don't rock. bounce
It was important to roll absolutely square and evenly.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig216

Here trial fitted to the body.

I've actually just come in from the 'workshop' and the roof is now soldered.
More pics tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 9:02 pm

First class piece of engineering there, Carl. Erm if it's not a daft question, how will you now cut a hole in the roof for the engine's chimney?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 4:40 pm

A couple more pics of the now soldered roof.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig217

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig218

I used slightly thinner material (0.5mm) than I would have liked. It was easier to solder but difficult to keep square and avoid warping when heat was applied. Also trying to stop every joint locally from pinging loose was a headache. There was always one place I forgot to put a heat sink clamp (metal crococodile clip).

The roof formers needed some hefty soldering to keep them in place too.

I'm off to drill some holes for chimney, saftey valve and gas filler now.

I did think about drilling these before soldering but if I was just a millimetre out with the measurements it would look crap.
So I will fit the body and mark out the holes live and cut them slowly will a hole cutter.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Holes in roof cut in the relevant places.

I had a major problem with what was insignificant but now important.
I mentioned earlier that the boiler wasn't mounted centrally along the axis of the chassis so of course now the safety valve and filler cap were not central and I didn't want to have off centre holes in the roof (ex. for gas replinishment). So, I had to completely strip down the loco and file out a lateral slot in the rear boiler mounting hole to realign the boiler centrally.
It's still not totally perfect but much better than before.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig219

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig220

Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Edrig221

You may notice the method of fixing the body to the chassis....by way of the chimney capping. Shocked

I made the hole 2mm larger than the chimney in diameter so the roof is sandwiched between the capping and the chimney. To remove the body just unscrew the copper capping.

The smaller rear pipe sticking up is the outlet for the safety valve.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 9:40 pm

carl hibbs wrote:

Brilliant job Carl!

Is it strictly necessary to vent the safety valve through the roof??

Does the safety blow so regularly that it's required???

B
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 9:51 pm

GWhizz wrote:
carl hibbs wrote:

Is it strictly necessary to vent the safety valve through the roof??

Does the safety blow so regularly that it's required???

B

It isn't strictly necessary but it's a lot neater I think, otherwise when the safety valve blows steam will just billow about under the roof and condensate.

I have made a copper tube to fit over the safety valve so the steam is channelled upwards.

I'm also experimenting with a saftey valve whistle......
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 11:01 am

Very impressive Carl, I think messrs Regner and Reppinghem et al need to watch out. Presuming you are going to light it from the chimney, will that work ? Aha, you can do it from underneath the smokebox I think.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 11:13 am

Fantastic!! Yeah ok, who forgot to pay the phone bill? no phone for 6 days even though bill was paid after 3!! Embarassed Looking good Carl

Mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:06 pm

https://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/deantwerpen_2009/

The black tram is a Roundhouse/Accucraft Edrig hybrid I started last night. The chassis had to be shortened by a few mm each end.

The green body is a new addition to my scrapbox from a customer who wants his Stanley converting back to a Billy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Just experimenting with the image hosting

Brest

Mike Ousby
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Well I'll just chuck mine in the bin then....... Crying or Very sad

That's some quality modelling.
So a modified Roundhouse body on an Accucraft chassis, interesting. What's happened/going to happen to the boiler? Shocked

The chassis looks better shortened.

I like the method of using Accucraft running gear as opposed to Roundhouse.
A complete ready to run bare working loco for under £400.

What I really would like though is a close coupled 0-6-0 chassis as were most typical French tram engines like Blanc Misseron.

I'm thinking of ways to modify an Edrig chassis...... study Idea
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
[i]

What I really would like though is a close coupled 0-6-0 chassis as were most typical French tram engines like Blanc Misseron.

Wouldn't you be better off starting with a Lawley. I know it's a lot more dosh, but by the time you've sourced and installed a third axle, wheelset and coupling rods wouldn't be a lot in it ?

Besides you could throw the redundant Lawley body in my direction Razz

ps Welcome Mike
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Might end up going that way Brian. The Lawley/Wrekin chassis is too long really but as Mike has done I could always cut it down a bit.

Is the 0-6-0 boiler the same (length) as the 0-4-0 boiler I wonder....?
Can they be interchanged.....?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:46 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
Might end up going that way Brian. The Lawley/Wrekin chassis is too long really but as Mike has done I could always cut it down a bit.

Is the 0-6-0 boiler the same (length) as the 0-4-0 boiler I wonder....?
Can they be interchanged.....?

I'll be able to check when Van comes over with his Lawley and we can do a Lawley / Edrig Comparison.

B
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:53 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Fantastic!! Yeah ok, who forgot to pay the phone bill? no phone for 6 days even though bill was paid after 3!! Embarassed Looking good Carl

Mikey

Hi Mikey

If you've not been on the forum for a few days you may have missed Van (FM12)'s posts on his new Lawley.

I hope you'll be able to come over too when he comes for a test run.

I'll PM you nearer the time likely to be week after next or so!

Cheers Brian
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:55 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
Well I'll just chuck mine in the bin then....... Crying or Very sad

That's some quality modelling.
So a modified Roundhouse body on an Accucraft chassis, interesting. What's happened/going to happen to the boiler? Shocked

The chassis looks better shortened.

I like the method of using Accucraft running gear as opposed to Roundhouse.
A complete ready to run bare working loco for under £400.

Don't be silly, I think that your construction looks very good. Remeber that I am recycling proprietry parts.

The chassis is only shortened by about six millimetres and the bolier can be moved forwards or aft a tad. One of the advantages of doing the Accucraft warranty work is that my scrap box is well stocked.

The Stanley body is not available now and indeed never was separately. Only 100 Stanleys were built, so at least I've got 2% of them.

I have a surplus Lady Ann power unit and don't know whether to put that with the black body and the modified Edrig Power unit with the green body.

Attached is a link to one of my own steam trams, built for the Silesian Tramways.

https://2img.net/h/i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/deantwerpen_2009/Kattowitz/HohenzollernKattowitz.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/deantwerpen_2009/Kattowitz/Kattowitz3.jpg

Best

MikeyO
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 5:32 pm

An intriguing model which I've actually seen before but nice to see again.

A daft question maybe but often on the roof of steam trams (like the one above) there are various interesting 'bits', pipework, tanks etc.

What are these various 'bits' for. Condensing apparatus or reservoirs perhaps...?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Brian. Love to come over whenever. These different 'tram locos' certainly are the biz!

Mikeyh
(this is gonna be confusing with mikeyh and mikeyO)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 7:42 pm

pjti wrote:
Very impressive Carl, I think messrs Regner and Reppinghem et al need to watch out. Presuming you are going to light it from the chimney, will that work ? Aha, you can do it from underneath the smokebox I think.

I don't think Ralph and Manfred need worry too much...wait till I start doing the wobbly rivets. drunken

I usually light all my engines via the chimney. Some you have no choice like Roundhouse but Accucraft you can light via the smoke box. With this tram body that will be difficult but not impossible as you can still open the smokebox door a little and if there is a big problem you can take the body quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Skeleton Edrig
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next