Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Skeleton Edrig

Go down 
+6
Admin
Paul Stainz Holt
pjti
GWhizz
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 7:42 pm

pjti wrote:
Very impressive Carl, I think messrs Regner and Reppinghem et al need to watch out. Presuming you are going to light it from the chimney, will that work ? Aha, you can do it from underneath the smokebox I think.

I don't think Ralph and Manfred need worry too much...wait till I start doing the wobbly rivets. drunken

I usually light all my engines via the chimney. Some you have no choice like Roundhouse but Accucraft you can light via the smoke box. With this tram body that will be difficult but not impossible as you can still open the smokebox door a little and if there is a big problem you can take the body quickly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:42 am

carl hibbs wrote:
An intriguing model which I've actually seen before but nice to see again.

A daft question maybe but often on the roof of steam trams (like the one above) there are various interesting 'bits', pipework, tanks etc.

What are these various 'bits' for. Condensing apparatus or reservoirs perhaps...?

The only daft question is the one that isn't asked.

This tram, as were many others, designed to work in built up areas. The pipework on top is the condenser. On the model I used this as the RC aerial insulating it from the roof by means of wooden blocks.

This cunning plan was thwarted by the advent of 2.4GhZ.

Best

Deantwerpen, (The name of the fist 16mm steam tram I built, a Belgian bicabine from the S.N.C.V) Now that doesn't confuse anybody !! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Brilliant work Carl, not to mention the great photo story unfolding.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Just a bit more today in between students.

I made some side skirts to fit over the motion.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 Img_0410

These are just hooked on and allow the prospective owner (Laughing ) to choose, on or off.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 Img_0411
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Wow Carl, who ever the prospective owner is, he's a lucky guy!! Laughing

Mikey
(got 4 new gigs coming up!!)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Eh alors encore un peu....

A few curvy curly bits, and some cool hand soldering. Not perfect but it'll be ok after painting. Rolling Eyes

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 Edrig311

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 Edrig312

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 Edrig313

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 Edrig314
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySat May 16, 2009 7:02 pm

As we have had the worst hail storms I've ever seen this week, I thought well workshop time. So a little more progress and I'm nearing a state of constructional completion.

I have added some modest representative rivet detail. I don't usually do rivet counting but there are over a hundred so far, all tediously drilled by hand. cyclops

Handrails and lamp irons have been added too.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 1605sm10

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 1605sm11

Also after a lot of consideration I fabricated some access doors for the front to allow the smokebox door to be opened. Many engines had this facility and seeing as the prospective owner may wish to light the machine this way I thought it proper to provide this function.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 1605sm12

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 1605sm13

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 1605sm14

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 1605sm15

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 1605sm16

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 1605sm17
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:34 am

What a little beauty!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:43 am

que bonito (I think), buenissimo etc etc.

It sure is a beauty Carl.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 12:57 pm

Fantastic work. Are we allowed to know who the intended recipient is?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 4:15 pm

No accolades please, It's not GSM. Cool

'All that glitters is not gold' or..... should it be... 'Where there's brass there's muck'.

Well the intended recipient is a secret between only those who know, Although some people may have guessed if one reads the posts sublimately.

It's not going to a tramway in Kent, that's for sure. Evil or Very Mad

Exchange of contracts with the intended recipient are due take place on July 4th......Independance day.

I would however appreciate some advice or moreover opinion from anybody.
What colour should this be or would you like to see it.
There are no colour photographs of original Frenchie type steam trams just (very nice) black and white and sepia postcards.
The ones preserved are green like the Blanc Misseron at the MTVS.
But green is not the only colour for steam trams worldwide.

My choice would be just black.

BTW, if anyone knows a good sensible source of proper degreasant and brass etch primer in GREY and black I would grateful.

My previous supplier in France has seemingly disappeared.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Its definately a case of henry Ford's words "You can have any colour as long as its black"

BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 5:13 pm

How about midnight blue... I am guessing the owner-in-waiting will be in attendance at the CGT open day?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 5:29 pm

50/50? or d'wanna phone a friend?

Mikey Laughing
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Is it yerself Mikey?

BTW I just did a Google on grey brass etch primer and got a ton of sites - mostly UK based though.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptySun May 17, 2009 6:35 pm

clive_t wrote:
BTW I just did a Google on grey brass etch primer and got a ton of sites - mostly UK based though.

Is there anyone you know or a product you would specifically recommend?

I've sort of lost touch with many UK products and suppliers... a bit like me now drinking lemon tea without milk. silent
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 8:57 am

No sycophantry! But that is a seriously neat job. The lucky recipient will be delighted!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks Brian but I'm always learning with soldering and I think that this is the largest item I have made.

I've picked up a few tips along the way like using different temperature soft solders (for plumbing and electrical) and fluxes.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 12:14 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
Thanks Brian but I'm always learning with soldering and I think that this is the largest item I have made.

I've picked up a few tips along the way like using different temperature soft solders (for plumbing and electrical) and fluxes.

Absolutely agree! Liquid Fluxes and a Mini Blow torches were my biggest discovery too, after years wrestling with soldering irons and flux cored solders!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:10 am

Nice piece by Mike Ousby (Deantwerpen) in this months Garden Rail magazine on another Skeleton Edrig. I like the shortened buffer beam Mike!

I do love these loco's in black, sorely attempted to have a go at one myself!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:36 am

We mentioned on this forum about modifying the chassis and possibly trying different wheel arrangements.
I seems there is definitely some common ground between us in that with a just modest amount of skill, tools and material you can do a lot with these Edrig units.

A bit like many of the Mercan chaps 'a hundred things to with a Ruby', but the Edrig is a much better base IMO.

Now only if Accucraft would make available a skeleton Lawley. That would really be useful.
Very Happy

Unless of course someone has a Lawley that they don't own and don't mind bashing..... bounce affraid
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:22 am

carl hibbs wrote:

Unless of course someone has a Lawley that they don't own and don't mind bashing..... bounce affraid

I'm not partial to having a 40 tonne truck driven into my home Rolling Eyes

The Lawley is staying where it is - safely pampered in the Charente!
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyThu May 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Carl re degreasant, a few years back when I lived in Brussels I used to get trichloroethane from my local "Brico" in 1 litre bottles. I think "Brico" is a French company - maybe just maybe they still do it.

Re primer, I used "plasti kote" grey primer on my Mercer traction engine with satisfying results, their range of "top coats" are good too, although rated at only 150 c again I have found them perfectly adequate for the job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:36 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Nice piece by Mike Ousby (Deantwerpen) in this months Garden Rail magazine on another Skeleton Edrig. I like the shortened buffer beam Mike!

I do love these loco's in black, sorely attempted to have a go at one myself!

Thanks Brian

The Edrig power units are an absolute steal for anybody wanting to have a go.

I can also supply a RTR engine to your specification.

Best

Mike Ousby
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:13 am

I quite agree. For the price of a large piece of electrified plastic you can have your own live steam loco. Just add a body to suit!
It doesn't have to be brass either. Wood may be ok too. Idea

Now seriously how about a 3 axle RTR chassis and boiler from Accucraft...????

I'm going to write to them. But I'm sure you Mike would have more influence than me. pirat

Thanks for the info Patrick.

I have now found a new supplier in France for paint but a tad expensive.

AMF87
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 EmptyFri May 22, 2009 6:25 pm

Probably the last pics in 'old gold' colour. Just waiting to order some paint now.

A few small details added a few probably still to add.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 2205410

I made a 'tank' with lid which can serve as a ( 3xAA) battery box for lighting.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 2205210

...and added top lamp brackets to take large Regner lanterns.

Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 2205310
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skeleton Edrig   Skeleton Edrig - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Skeleton Edrig
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next