Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TRACK COSTS

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

GWhizz

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Has anyone done a really serious comparison on costs of track ????

So far I have a mix of secondhand LGB bought from Germany but I'm not sure going secondhand is a bargain!

With us all buying track why don't we get together and get some serious bulk stock rather than outbidding each other on Ebay or buying odd LGB, Accucraft, Trainline etc ???

Just thought I'd ask!

I plan to post some cost analysis after doing some proper per metre comparisons!

B

BTW my track bender is on its way, but don't have much to bend with it yet!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Dont worry Brian i've got 12 Ri's need straightening a bit!! Good idea about a bulk buy. I have been getting all mine from frenchebay (making sure i dont pay over the odds). I now have a collection of 30cms/60cms/and 1.20 mts. the rest of the track i am making myself ( no sleepers just the rails showing as per tramway

mikey
Back to top Go down

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 8:57 pm

When I first started buying LGB track back in 1996, it worked out at £2.85p per foot (extra for points of course). Even today, I use this as a yardstick for calculating percentage price increases. Had a bit of good fortune though .... I bought a loco off eBay from a guy who was selling up. I asked him if he had anything else and track was mentioned. There was about £1300 worth (including 5x R3 points and full circle of R5 curves) ... all brand new in its boxes, but he only wanted £330 for the lot.
I still regret not haggling to this day ....

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi Guys

Been doing some research and analysis today, inbetween sunbathing and giving Zelda a run!

Bottom line on my calc's secondhand R1's work out cheapest(assuming you get them at 2 Euro's or less delivered off German or French Ebay at just under 9 Euro's per metre

Cheapest new is Accucraft flexi (from Track Shack, no I haven't got shares) at 11.67 Euro per metre

All costs based on shipping to / within France

I've now decided to go the Accucraft route, so if anyone wants to join in a bulk delivery please post or PM.

I've tried to attach the spreadsheet XLS I can save it as a web page htm but don't know to host it? Admin - help! Would like someone to check my calcs!

BTW Trainline from IETB even for a 777 Euro bulk pack worked out at over 17 Euro per metre

B
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 9:10 pm

GWhizz wrote:
I've tried to attach the spreadsheet XLS I can save it as a web page htm but don't know to host it? Admin - help! Would like someone to check my calcs!

B

I'm no good with calcs... study

If you send me the XLS file I could possibly create a web page from scratch in HTML on this server and embed that file into it. But not right now please, I have just finished 11 hours of teaching and it's Beaujolais time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 11:10 am

By coincidence just been walking out where I hope to lay track next year,and it worked out at about 150 yards.I`ve tried over the last 3 months bidding on ebay.Taking the cost of postage into account,I`ve been placing bids at £3.00 a foot as soon as I see track listed,but have never won any track.I even bid on some old flexi track with damaged/missing sleepers and failed to win that at £3.00 a foot. Shocked
So for now I going to hold off trying to buy S/H and see if I can get a good deal on new next year.At the moment accucraft seems the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Track costs   TRACK COSTS EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Brian has spent a good deal of time and prepared a table of relative costs of G scale 45mm track.
Click here to view

Track costs
Back to top Go down

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 1:05 pm

A first class piece of work, many thanks Brian
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 3:39 am

Saddo that I am, was rechecking Track Shack's prices for Accucraft track and they have just shot up over 25% making my spreadsheet out of date (US exchange rate?). I'm just glad I got mine a few weeks back.

It may also mean that the new Piko Track system is cheaper? Like LGB flexitrack, you buy the rail sections/sleepers/joiners seperately. I haven't done the maths but it should be in the running!

Has anyone seen / tried / used the Piko ?

I must say I'm delighted with the Accucraft, particularly at what turned out to be a delivered price of just over 11 Euro's per metre.

B
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 11:10 am

i think that price increases will be across the board at the moment. i've often thought that more would be sold in time of recession if prices were actually dropped!!

BTW did you have problems sleeping last night Brian?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 12:01 pm

mikeyh wrote:

BTW did you have problems sleeping last night Brian?

Mikey

Not really - just killing time waiting for the Australian F1 GP practice to start! It was far too dark and wet to do more on the layout!

B
Back to top Go down

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 6:15 pm

I noticed during my recce on Friday that GRS have a large quantity of long lengths of secondhand track in the shop.
I can't remember the proce but knowing them it might not be a bargain.
Incidentally has anyone else had any dealings with Totally Trains, I found them to be the worst model shop I have ever came up against, rude offhand and customer unfocussed?

Only 11 days till we get back to France for the summer!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TRACK COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: TRACK COSTS   TRACK COSTS Empty

Back to top Go down

TRACK COSTS
Page 1 of 1