Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A diary of Tramway Demiel

Go down 
+16
Clarkmeggs
tram47
KleineDicke
philkelly
fm12
pjti
Bearcastle
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
Paul Stainz Holt
French Chuffed
micheline
markbiff
Admin
clive_t
mikeyh
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 1:00 pm

the sunday service autorail arrives at the papermill halt to transport the workers home for a well-earned glass of vin rouge (or Pastis or whiskey!)

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel338

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel337

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 1:08 pm

AArrrrgh... camera gone flat!!!!!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Mikey, what is that tile-like thing that you're using as the platform?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:41 pm

exactly that Clive! The way they build a lot of houses in this area is to construct the house with 'agglos' (concrete blocks 50 x 20 x 25 cms) then 'coat' them with these tiles for insulation. The lot is then 'crepied', a mix of lime and sand mortar. When we bought this house ten years ago there were a couple of hundred of these tiles laying under the trees. they make ideal bases for buildings.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm

clive_t wrote:
Mikey, what is that tile-like thing that you're using as the platform?

Looks like the top of a building block Clive (Most of Europe use hollow clay blocks to build and then render the surface, hence the ridging to key the render to the block). Smile

Like the vintage train Mikey - might look good as a sepia type photo.......

Snap !! same time answer Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:45 pm

snap ( but you used more technical terms. are you a builder by any chance Paul?) Very Happy

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:47 pm

mikeyh wrote:
snap ( but you used more technical terms. are you a builder by any chance Paul?) Very Happy

Mikey

Sort of Mikey, I'm a project manager in the building industry
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 9:51 am

Heres a view of the recently refurbished 'Hotel de la Gare' showing its new roof neccessitated by the severe storms in winter;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel341

more to come when Photobucket decides to play ball!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 am

Meanwhile the Meuse 020 delivers a covered wagon to the papermill. You can just make out in front of the Hotel the Postie scrounging a glass of pastis!!

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel339

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Ah.....that's better, photos with some greenery, blue sky, sun and shadows.

Very pleasant. sunny
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 1:15 pm

Yes, definitely a touch of Spring about those photos Mikey. I like the 'ivy' effect on the hotel wall, is that painted or have you hauled something out of a skip somewhere that looks like G-scale ivy? Cool
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Actually I'm quite proud of that . ~I tore up a bath sponge and then ground it in an old coffee grinder. I then mixed it with some oil based green paint and when it was dry, ground it again. I drew the path of the ivy with exterior grade glue and then scattered the sponge. A similar technique as used in the smaller scales but also completely weatherproof!

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 2:27 pm

Its a peaceful line where the passengers can get off and watch a game of petanque!

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel342

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel343

Mikey
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 833270 Félicitations Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:09 pm

the last train of the day collects the workers from the papermill;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel346

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel344

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 3:54 pm

A goods train passing the papermill;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel350

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel348

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 am

You must be getting better weather down there Mike?

I haven't been able to get near the railway for rain the last few days!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:02 am

Last few days would have been even warmer were it not for the wind! Raining today though.

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 am

After a couple of minor changes we finally completed our circuit yesterday. I want to put a 'top' ballast on. I'd like to put a dry mix of sand/cement on to conceal the sleepers and make it look more 'tramlike'. I have a little concern about sand finding its way into the mechanisms so wondered if small grit would be better/ any comments? (please)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 am

With Easter traditionally marking the start of the 'outdoor season' (well it does in our house) it was time to make a few changes in the village of Demiel.
Firstly a new fire-station has been built to house the newly delivered motorised appliance;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel352

The Gendarmerie has been relocated next to the Mairie;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel353

A new house has been built between the Church and the Presse;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel354

and finally a new water tower has been built, with a solid base to replace the wooden one which unfortunately collapsed this winter;

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Demiel355

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Lovely atmosphere.

Quote :
The Gendarmerie has been relocated next to the Mairie

That's a good place Mikey. Now we live in the country...I notice that there is nearly always a school next to or even part of the Mairie.

I think as you said somewhere else that the track needs heavily ballasting over the sleepers for that 1910 look.

Someone suggested at an expo once, loose cat ltter as when it gets wet it settles but it's easy to remove if required and it doesn't abrade like grit or sand.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Now thats an idea! I presume that when its wet I will be able to smooth it out for road surfaces as well. Our cat doesnt go in the railway 'cos he's scared stiff of the engines and there are no neighbours cats to worry about. At 2 euros 10 for a bag of 7 litres thats got to be worth a go! cheers

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:41 pm

I like the water tower - how did you make the solid base?

Peter
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:14 pm

hi Peter. I make everything from recycled materials. The base is an old garden pot, like a flowerpot but with straight sides. i cut the door opening with my Dremel. coated it in exterior PVA and rolled it in a drymix of cement/sand to give it texture. When dry it was drybrushed with mixes of colour. the top is an old babymilk can painted grey. the ladder is cut from wire fencing. I couldnt get wood to stick to the terra cotta so just varnished the side of a block of wood and put it inside for the door.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Ever ingenious Mikey, I love the way its all coming together. My Clay (what passes for soil) is slowly drying out so will be able to get on it without it all sticking to my shoes shortly (I hope).

The other Peter.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Someone suggested at an expo once, loose cat ltter as when it gets wet it settles but it's easy to remove if required and it doesn't abrade like grit or sand.
I don't have any cat litter, but I do have large numbers of Brita water filter cartridges, the carbon guts of which I intend using as some form of ballast in a 'quiet' area to see if it looks ok.,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

A diary of Tramway Demiel
Page 10 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 24  Next