Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

its Corpet Louvet time again!

Go down 
+5
KleineDicke
David Grantham
Carl Hibbs
philkelly
mikeyh
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

its Corpet Louvet time again! Empty
PostSubject: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 7:42 am

Can any Corpet owners verify for me that they are OK on radius 1 curves? There is a length of 5 R1's at one end of the line and my other (cheapy) 060 regularly derailed until I filed the flanges off the middle wheels. I really dont wanna do that!
Also is it right that all three axles are driven? Cheers

mikey
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 8:21 am

Mikey: Corpets (and all LGB locos as I undertand it) are fine with R1s. The valve gear is not all in one piece and the axles shift in the chassis: One axle is driven from the motor and the motion drives all the wheels. I'm planning to put some extra weight in mine for a bit more uphill oomph but I think they are lovely chunky and very French!

Best wishes

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 12:29 pm

When will someone build a live steam version.....eh?scratch

I get fed up with seeing the latest quirky Welsh trinket and overpriced South African monsters that fit only on rich people's layouts.

Everbody loves a Corpet Louvet so let's have a simple to run live steam model. Surely the time is right, Messr's Pearce and Loxley, Herrs Regner and Reppingen....... if you're watching please.
Put me down for a classic 030 version for starters.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Carl, how many Corpet Louvets do you think might get sold at say £1500 per unit. I am sure Roundhouse must have a fairly low unit volume break even point for them to carry on producing Welsh trinkets. Maybe they would consider producing something European if they could sell more than 100 units. I would certainly buy a Corpet providing there was a 32mm version.

Why don't we write and ask them ? If you dont want to, let me have a crude spec for a Corpet Louvet and I will ask them the question.

Also could you tell me if there was a standard design ubiquitous French metre gauge diesel. I was asked by Roundhouse last year what diesel prototype should they produce next after Criccieth Catle and I could n't think of anything suitably ubiquitous.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Mikey:
I have only R1s and my Corpet runs on it without derailing. It does slow down a bit when making the curve versus straight sections. Allthough I think it would be happier with a larger radius, I don't have the funds to invest in more LGB gold tracks, and as it is, it's certainly better than no Corpet at all.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks guys these responses are really useful if only to confirm how popular the Corpet is. As you know i have admired them for ages. i made a decision a few years ago that anything i wanted for my railway I would save up for it. I nearly have enough now and am starting to look around. (mind you i paid 900 quid for my fender strat, but that makes me money so its ok).I'm not in a hurry but I want a black or red one!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 4:27 pm

mikeyh wrote:
As you know i have admired them for ages. i made a decision a few years ago that anything i wanted for my railway I would save up for it. I nearly have enough now and am starting to look around. (mind you i paid 900 quid for my fender strat, but that makes me money so its ok).I'm not in a hurry but I want a black or red one!

Mikey

Mikey,

I just checked with the shop (GRS) and as they say that Corpets are in the shop second hand quite often, in fat you only just missed on last week! I got one of the chaps to put a note in the 'wanted by staff book' so when one arrives in black or red I'll let you know.

Cheers

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
pjti

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Saw this on the other channel - Tell us what you want
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 3:47 pm

everybody vote and who knows?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Well found Patrick. I've voted.

If they make one (a Corpet) I will personally go to Doncaster to collect it.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Carl, what sort of Corpet do you recommend I vote for. Can you give me a rough spec ?

Tx

David

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Look you guys, I will vote (and buy) a Corpet if you vote for a Cistierna/Sabero Colliery 60cm
Couillet 1895 0-6-0T.

I believe these were all (3) bought and shipped to the UK and are still hidden away somewhere in the UK but are not viewable to the public. I think they were owned by the mysterious Phyllis Rampton trust. Nearly as beautiful as a Corpet.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:51 pm

David....vote, vote, vote....vote for Lulu.Laughing

See this thread page 2 photos by Ian Sharples.

Corrpet 030T

Classic 1930's model as per LGB. It would be really sexy if they Roundhouse could make different cabs for the buyer to fit. Square windows or oval....I'm asking too much.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Lulu vote cast.

Now vote for one of these gorgeous beauties

http://www.passion-metrique.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3279

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 8:47 am

I haven't voted because I don't really know that I would buy one. I do like the look of a Corpet tho - and maybe if they made one I MIGHT be tempted if the price was within my budget. I know it's a no obligation thing but should I vote ? If so I need guidance, a Spanish looking Corpet perhaps. (David ?)

My first sight of garden steam ( philately ex GSM) was a Edrig and a RH Katie- built with love by his own fair hands - he loved Katie, to be honest I thought it was ghastly and Edrig won me over even tho it looked half built (cabless).

I like the reported customer backup from RH but I have not yet really seen a locomotive they make that does not look like an overgrown Mamod to me.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:47 pm

pjti wrote:

.......... I like the reported customer backup from RH but I have not yet really seen a locomotive they make that does not look like an overgrown Mamod to me.

Sadly I have to agree with you Patrick. I had many a 'discussion' on fora no longer about large slot head screws on £2000 of model. Plus the tab and slot construction and a few other things that spoil.

The first manufacturer to bring out a suitable French loco gets my money otherwise I'm not buying any more live steam! No

There is another way of course that we did discuss in a roundabout way to get a Corpet or any other loco for that matter.

That is to design ourselves and get the body etched out by someone like Worsley Loco Works and put it on an 030 generic rolling chassis as Accucraft now supply or a Lady Anne chassis and boiler kit from RH. or....offerings by Regner and Hermann Echtdamf which have much more realistic valve gear.
It wouldn't be a truly accurate combination but it could be a good compromise.
But then are we really bothered about an accurate prototype chassis when it's whizzing along round the garden and mostly you're looking from above anyway?

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 4:22 pm

I cant say I can see any connection between a Mamod and a Roundhouse Sandy River, Vale of Rheidol or Darjeeling Tank but I do agree that they should get their finger out when it comes to only providing a gloss finish and those ridiculous slot head screws.

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Yes I agree. forgive me I am a bit behind the times - I have just checked the website and there is some nice gear wot they make but you're talking some serious dosh here, I never paid that much for any of my cars and only two of many motorbikes were anywhere near to £2000. Can people really justify this type of spend ?
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:12 pm

I agree Patrick that you dont get that much for your money but I guess your motorbikes were built in unit numbers of hundreds of thousands whereas Roundhouse build Sandy Rivers in batches of 5 or sometimes 10.

I have taken the approach Carl suggested above and that is to build my own bodies, like Covadonga, on to generic, reliable and not too expensive chassis and in my case I have chosen Roundhouse chassis because of their reliability, customer service and spares availability. Using generic chassis components as a kit keeps the price down to about £600 to £700. The body work can be built from brass sheet and standard detailing components can be added and finished without slotted screws and a nice matt and satin paint job. You end up with quite a quality loco for £1000 instead of a glossy less detailed one for £2000. It just requires that little quantum jump to do the flat metal scratch building or a chat with Worsley Works.

Of course another point is you can, if you wish, end up with a unique non prototype loco and if your line is fictional why should nt the design be unique to your line and also fictional, particularly if has features that are similar to other locos in the region it perports to exist.

I think Carl's suggestion of generic chassis and scratch built body is a good approach and works fine for me.

Alternatively you could sell some motorbikes ('affraid')

David
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 7:51 am

David...have you dealt with Worsley Loco Works/ Alan Doherty?

Have you commisioned anything from them?

I've seen their work and impressed with the skills in brass and nickel silver.

I discussed at length with Alan about the possibilty and feasability of producing a CFD metre gauge diesel (as previously posted) as a 'scratch aid' kit. This was including the asymetric diamond framed outside crank bogies!!!

At the time (about 4 years ago now) he would have needed to produce a minimum of 3 kits whicht worked out to a bout £200 each then.

I would be happy to discuss building a generic Corpet Louvet body to fit on a prprietary chassis if people would be interested.
The drawings are easily available.

The only problem of course is the Accucraft and Roundhouse chassis are outside framed.
That's ok if you don't mind that inaccuracy.

One way to go for a classy better model would be....
A chassis ready to run chassis only from Hermann Echtdampf as a base for the locomotive.
This would cost €496

Then I would add a boiler from Hermann or I would buy a complete ready painted Regner boiler kit for €370. This includes all fittings.

Then the cost of an etched body say another €300.

I can't see to be honest that Roundhouse would produce a Corpet Louvet for less than about €1800/£1500

Also....
Pearse made an 060 tank Europa which was loosely based on a Henschel.
This model has a very close couple inside frame wheel arrangement with simple valve gear.
This is the chassis that would suit best.

Now what would be chances of Pearse producing a run of rolling chassis for us to add our bodies on......? Cool
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey, Mikey-
Here's a red one and it's not too far from you 'vers Pont du Gard'.
Red Corpet-Louvet 030
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 pm

There's an LGB 2078 Corpet-Louvet (green) on US eBay. It was listed yesterday evening, starting at $0.99. In about 24 hours there have been 7 bids and the bid is now at $237.50. Just goes to show how much in demand a good Corpet-Louvet is. 6 days left on the auction; this could get interesting.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 am

Unbelievable- it sold for $730 (+ $28 shipping). Seems a bit steep to me. I like Corpet-Louvets, but not that much!
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 am

Whats more amazing,it was originally listed with a buy it now price of $599
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 10:59 am

Have you actually got one yet Mike?

You mentioned in a private email a way back that you might have one lined up?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: its Corpet Louvet time again!   its Corpet Louvet time again! Empty

Back to top Go down

its Corpet Louvet time again!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next