Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Regner availability

Go down 
+9
David Grantham
mikeyh
philkelly
fm12
Admin
Paul Stainz Holt
Bearcastle
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Paul Stainz Holt

Regner availability - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 7:24 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
Looks great, Paul. I can't wait for my live steamer. Only about 2-1/2 years left on the wait list.

Which loco are you waiting for Bill ? Smile

Regner availability - Page 5 Stainz19
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

paul stainz holt wrote:
KleineDicke wrote:
Looks great, Paul. I can't wait for my live steamer. Only about 2-1/2 years left on the wait list.

Which loco are you waiting for Bill ? Smile

Well, I was really wanting a Roundhouse Billy, but I just can't find one....

Just Kidding. I am waiting for a Cricket.

Like this:
Image hosted by servimg.com

Another view:

Here's a photo of the prototype:

Not a Stainz, perhaps, but I find it interesting and it is well regarded by those who own one.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 2:35 am

The progress of Cricket development is interesting. I know of at least one that was used on a UK line.

But then I do like wobbly piston steam locos, why I built the ultimate Mamod I guess...
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 8:28 pm

KleineDicke wrote:

Not a Stainz, perhaps, but I find it interesting and it is well regarded by those who own one.

Nice little loco. Very Happy
I could easily accommodate one of those on my line
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 4:39 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Okay...put me on the spot then.... Cool

Roundhouse make reliable, quite powerful, easy to use, expensive toy-like constructed machines.
A few, yes are nearly scale models (of ill chosen prototypes) except for those bloody slot-head screws.
They offer a limited range of functional crappy components (whitemetal lamps, unpainted kits par ex.) for the kitchen sink home builder/average enthusiast.
They like speaking English and don't speak any German.
They give nice factory tours and an oval of wobbly track with a cup of tea.

Regner make solidly constructed, value for money machines using quality components. Many of their models are very close to authentic scale models of well chosen prototypes.
With neglible use of big foot size slot-head screws.
They can be underpowered and less easy to use but are IMO/E are just as reliable.
They have a vast range of easily accessible scale and functional components for repair and improvement for discerning live steam enthusiasts.
They speak English (but don't like doing so) and speak fluent German.
They give nice factory tours and a scenic layout with beer.

There are exceptions to this guide on both sides.

I agree with your analysis Carl (not done the factory tours though), the Roundhouse loco I have is certainly more powerful and slightly easier to use than the Regner.
The bigger boiler and cylinders on the Roundhouse definitely make for a more powerful loco.

Having said that the Regner still "hits the spot" for me
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Interesting how Regner are well chosen prototypes and Roundhouse are ill chosen.

I think that statement becomes more objective if one said R/H tended to 2 feet gauge prototypes and Regner metre gauge ones.

If anyone needs a small quantity of brass hex head metric or imperial nuts/bolts to replace the
nasty R/H cheeseheads please let me know and I will post.

Happy new year
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:15 pm

I am pleased to report that the Stainz ran much better today - probably due to the temperature being a balmy 8 degrees ! (as opposed to minus 3) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 7:13 pm

Any video/photographic evidence? Cool

Not that we don't believe you Paul!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 9:24 am

clive_t wrote:
Any video/photographic evidence? Cool

Not that we don't believe you Paul!

Unfortunately not Clive - it was my birthday and there were 15 fellow G Scalers in attendance, I didn't even get a chance to take some pictures.

But the loco seemed to have a lot more power at its disposal - I think it may be possible to haul 3 four wheel coahes up the mountain line (which had a Roundhouse William traversing it when the Regner was running)
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 9:44 am

Well, a belated Happy Birthday for yesterday, and glad you had a good day by the sounds of it... I'm not surprised that you had no time for pics etc if you were dealing with the excessive catering demands of 15 G-scalers!
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 10:06 am

clive_t wrote:
Well, a belated Happy Birthday for yesterday, and glad you had a good day by the sounds of it... I'm not surprised that you had no time for pics etc if you were dealing with the excessive catering demands of 15 G-scalers!

Thanks Clive.
Luckily, Carole had made a big pot of Chile con carne before she left for the day, and some of the visitors helped out in the catering department. Very Happy
(I now have to drink excessive amounts of beer and wine over the next 3/4 weeks to make room in the kitchen Laughing )
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 10:42 am

paul stainz holt wrote:

Luckily, Carole had made a big pot of Chile con carne before she left for the day, and some of the visitors helped out in the catering department. Very Happy
(I now have to drink excessive amounts of beer and wine over the next 3/4 weeks to make room in the kitchen Laughing )
I don't know how you put up with it, I really don't!

Being forced to eat chilli and drink beer/wine etc whilst running trains in your garden with 15 assorted ruffians Mad ... and being left to clear the kitchen of unwanted beer/wine afterwards??? Evil or Very Mad

You have my sympathies, sir! Cool
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 11:31 am

Belated Happy Birthday Paul (I remember my 50th...just!!)
drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 5:46 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Belated Happy Birthday Paul (I remember my 50th...just!!)
drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken

Mikey

Thanks Mikey
To get the thread back on track, here is my birthday present

In case you have forgotten Laughing Laughing

Regner availability - Page 5 Snow_212
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Great picture Paul.

How well does it go round those tight curves although it looks right on that track.

My Chiemsebahn used to squeek and baulk a bit round R1.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Great picture Paul.

How well does it go round those tight curves although it looks right on that track.

My Chiemsebahn used to squeek and baulk a bit round R1.

A very good point Carl.
The track in that picture is R2 (750mm radius) which it is fine running round, but it does slow a little on R1 (600mm radius).
However, yesterday, the loco performed very well hauling 3 four wheel coaches up a 1 in 25 incline which had a very short section of R1 in it (the curve section was about 150mm long).
I am hoping to run a train up the mountain section this week (I couldn't yesterday during the proceedings due to all the trains being running in a rota by the fifteen of us !)

The mountain line has two R1 "horseshoes" on it to traverse the slope.
I will attempt to video the test.

The real loco only ever hauled a maximum of three four wheelers on fairly level track though.........

Regner availability - Page 5 Sb-slb10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Regner availability
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5