Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Regner availability

Go down 
+9
David Grantham
mikeyh
philkelly
fm12
Admin
Paul Stainz Holt
Bearcastle
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Regner availability - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:06 pm

According to Regner's website and catalogue it is out of production.

BUT...The Chiemseebahn was also supposed to be out of prouction but they are still available.

Regner availability

I'm sure there are some Stainz parts kicking around in Aurach.

I would strongly recommend contacting them (Paul) if you haven't done so and want one.
He actually says that on his website.

I could get your message translated into perfect German (not by me...) no problem if you wish.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks Carl. Smile
I will contact them. I will also see the Regner importer Martin's Models on Saturday (5th Sept) at the Llanfair show.
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:18 am

Actually I forgot about that show.

Herr Regner himself has been there on a few previous occassions.

I wish could be there myself but I am teaching English in Disneyland all this week. jocolor
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:25 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:

I wish could be there myself but I am teaching English in Disneyland all this week. jocolor

At least it's not a Mickey Mouse job
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

I met him last year, when Bruce was discussing delivery of his 399 with him.
Herr Regner was demonstrating the then new "Victoria" and he also ran a beautiful live steam Saxon Meyer.
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 2:58 pm

philkelly wrote:
Carl Hibbs wrote:

At least it's not a Mickey Mouse job

Theres always one bounce lol!

Van
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:17 pm

I know this is probably asked in ignorance but why all this interest in Regner? Is it because of the models available or are they superior to other makes. If its the latter what makes one live steamer better than another? . They all work on the same or similar principle dont they?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:42 pm

mikeyh wrote:
I know this is probably asked in ignorance but why all this interest in Regner? Is it because of the models available or are they superior to other makes. If its the latter what makes one live steamer better than another? . They all work on the same or similar principle dont they?

Mikey

Now you've done it cheers Caaarl bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:49 pm

mikeyh wrote:

Mikey

Mikey

P stainz Holt is thinking of going live steam and it would have to be a stainz.
The only maker who did a live steam stainz in any volume is?

This question was set by Van lol!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Wasnt particularly referring tp Pauls wants, just want to know why Regner are better? Is it just the variety of models, or the build quality, or is it something else.

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:07 pm

Let me elaborate. I've played and repaired electric guitars for 50 years now. My preference ihas always been for a Fender stratocaster. Gibson make a brilliant guitar but not for me; flat fingerboard instead of gently curved, humbucker pickups rather than single coils, just a personal preference. i wondered whether it was a similar thing with live steamers?

mikey
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:17 pm

One of us is misreading this thread Mikey it could be me.The reason Regner is mentioned is because at one time they produced a live steam stainz.And if Paul was to get into live steam a Regner stainz it would have to be,because no one else built them in any numbers.As regards Regner being the best thats open to debate.

Van

Last edited by fm12 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 pm

Thats exactly the debate i am trying to start Van. its obvious to me that everyone has their favourite steamers. i just wondered why. thats all. Maybe i should have started another thread.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:05 pm

This is a big and subjective debate about who makes the best live steamer.
Each manufacturer has different qualities.
It all depends on what you are looking for.

I like them all but I have certain criticisms about them all. Surprised
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:36 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
This is a big and subjective debate about who makes the best live steamer.
Each manufacturer has different qualities.
It all depends on what you are looking for.

I like them all but I have certain criticisms about them all. Surprised

Carl you've been enthusive about Regner in the past and a little critical of Roundhouse for example, I think a reprise on why you think Regner is so great is the answer looked for here???
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:05 pm

Okay...put me on the spot then.... Cool

Roundhouse make reliable, quite powerful, easy to use, expensive toy-like constructed machines.
A few, yes are nearly scale models (of ill chosen prototypes) except for those bloody slot-head screws.
They offer a limited range of functional crappy components (whitemetal lamps, unpainted kits par ex.) for the kitchen sink home builder/average enthusiast.
They like speaking English and don't speak any German.
They give nice factory tours and an oval of wobbly track with a cup of tea.

Regner make solidly constructed, value for money machines using quality components. Many of their models are very close to authentic scale models of well chosen prototypes.
With neglible use of big foot size slot-head screws.
They can be underpowered and less easy to use but are IMO/E are just as reliable.
They have a vast range of easily accessible scale and functional components for repair and improvement for discerning live steam enthusiasts.
They speak English (but don't like doing so) and speak fluent German.
They give nice factory tours and a scenic layout with beer.

There are exceptions to this guide on both sides.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 pm

A fair unbiased opinion affraid Am I the only one on this forum thats likes slotted head screws then.

Van with a toolbox full of proper screwdrivers( although it could be argued that a proper screwdriver is in fact a hammer)
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm

I actually quite like Roundhouse locos but puff for puff I think Accucraft locos are slightly better value for money.Looking out various forums this past year it would appear to me that no manufacturer is technically better than any of their rivals and people choose a loco on its own merits and looks irrepective of its origin.I don`t think I will ever own a Roundhouse because personally for me the paintwork is just to pristine even for a model.My next locomotive à vapeur(must get some track down) might be a Regner Willy a quirky looking loco if nothing else.But time will tell and who knows what might appear for sale in these forums.

Van.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:55 pm

I would quite agree Van that Accucraft are better value (for money) than Roundhouse.

What tipped the balance for me is when I bought a 'Carrie' for the equivalant of £600 brand new from Vapeur Express in France before he sold up through ill health.
He confided that he was not losing money on the sale.

At the time Roundhouse were selling these for well over £1000. pale
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 3:34 am

Its interesting to hear different peoples opinions. Although all of us with live steamers are happy with what we've got I suppose its only Carl that can give a qualified opinion as a multi marque owner. hopefully in time i will own other makes (probably because of their detail). I just hope that I wont make an error with whatever i buy!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm

mikeyh wrote:
I suppose its only Carl that can give a qualified opinion as a multi marque owner.
Mikey

That's flattering but not really justified. I have a few steam locomotives from 4 manufacturers thats all.

You don't always need to be an owner to have an opinion or pass judgement. A vast wealth of knowledge can be gained by visiting, seeing and operating other people's locomotives.
Repeated viewing will often show up common characteristics of similar engines belonging to different owners.

Exhibitions and shows are great places for that too.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:17 pm

I can confirm that the Regner Stainz is definitely not available Crying or Very sad - I spoke to the man himself today at Llanfair.

However, this little lok caught my eye..........and now lives at the Linz Gstadt Bahn.

Regner availability - Page 2 05090911
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:21 pm

And a very fine Lok it is too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Oooh - New loco - Whassit Paul?

Tell us more Wink
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:43 pm

I would disagree with Carl slightly re the Regner v Roundhouse comparison.

One main difference is Roundhouse are selling primarily to the SM32 UK market. This demands crappy UK 2ft gauge prototypes. Regner do n't do many 32mm models.

Secondly I would be amazed if Regner service level was in the same league as Roundhouse who are just unbelievable. Spares arrive next day often at no cost etc.

Thirdly not sure what these crappy detail parts are but I make good use of most of them.

Having said the above I would love to buy a Regner locomotive, but the following problems are stopping me:-

1 Cant understand their web site
2 Dont do many 32mm models
3 Not convinced by their service or reliability since they dont seem to want to do English
4 No cheesehead screws to replace so I can claim it is a scratch build loco

Seriously though it is obvious that the Regner locos are more sophisticated but what do you expect. The Brits could never have built the V2 and the Germans would never have made a Swordfish.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Ian_S wrote:
Oooh - New loco - Whassit Paul?

Tell us more Wink

Its a Roundhouse Billy named "Duncan"
It was built from a kit by a guy who ran it once (The wheels were unmarked)
It has R/C and runs very smoothly indeed (Well I had to test it three times didn't I ?)
Compared with the recommended retail price of £1328, this was a steal.
Bought off Steve Warrington stand - Back2Bay6. Very Happy

Regner availability - Page 2 05090920
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regner availability   Regner availability - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Regner availability
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next