Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anton's Live Diesel

Go down 
+14
dufrok
GWhizz
mikeyh
pjti
philkelly
ralphbrades
Spule 4
David Grantham
KleineDicke
dtsteam
Mike B
antonr91
clive_t
Carl Hibbs
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
David Grantham

Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Anton, the only reason I am using the Electronize ESC is that it is about the only useful component from a previous abortive ebay purchase. (lesson : dont buy anything complex on Ebay)

However it does seem happy with the power and voltages that could be generated by my 11? pole motor rated at 12-24v so I think it is emminently suitable for my project. Tests have shown that my 900 series DC will adequately generate power to the traction motors.

I have decided to build my live diesel as a three stage project. Stage 1 which is nearly complete will be battery powered and will test the feasibilty of the electrical systems like relays, fusing, ESC and receiver. If this works satisfactorily I will insert the ic power generation module using a cheap 2 stroke ic engine. If this works OK I maybe will splash out on a 4 stroke capable of idling at about 2k rpm.

If everything goes pear shaped after stage 1 I will still have a loco capable of hauling heavy trains up the 1 in 40 to the stock shed.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Are these speed controllers just standard 2 channel devices....as i have a few that i am already currently using and i am wondering if they would work...

the first one is a: m3 sonik marine ESC

Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 Iphone58

Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 Iphone59

And the second one is in the Hymek at the moment and it is a: NO LIMIT RCline ESC

Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 Iphone60

Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 Iphone61

Could anyone advise me on these items and if you think they would work?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:12 am

This is a new video i have quickly made using the new DC 700 motor that David very kindly gave me....

At this point there are still no electronics controlling the speed of the locomotive, therefore filming was very difficult as Shunt kept speeding off and derailing. once the speed controller is fitted, i will make another few videos.

" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen >
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:17 am

Well done and thanks for the video.

Did the DC 700 have enough umph to start the nitro or did you use an alternative method.
What is the nitro model and size on your Shunt loco.

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:35 am

Thank you very much David....

For some reason, it will start the Keyosho GX12 engine but will not start the force 15 , so i do not know what is going on there, perhaps as the force 15 has fuel running through it, it creates compression and resistance and the 700 just cant cope with that but is it a far more officiant motor then the MFA in my opinion.

The Engine is a Force 15

Do you know anything about my previous post? regarding my Speed Controllers?

And i hope to make a few more vidoes of this loco but ill have to wait until the ESC is fitted as it is just running away from me at the moment with no control
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Anton, I do not have any experience at all regarding ESCs apart from the my post earlier about Electronize and Mac5.

In fact I do not even understand the benefits /disads between a budget ESC and an expensive ESC (£30-50) like Electronize or Mac5 except I know a Mac5 will operate lights and sound intelligently.

Sorry I cant help but hopefully someone on CGT will be more familiar with your photos than I.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Great video Anton. It goes, it works it's succesful. It just needs refining!

It's interesting that thesmaller motor turns the smaller engine but not the larger.

I have a Kyosho .12 that I'm going to try and turn over with a 650 motor.
The compression is noticeably much less than a .15 or .18.

I wouldn't get too crazy about this speed control stuff. For primitive control try putting something juicy between the motor generator output and the traction motor to lower the voltage/current and make it go slowly. Maybe another motor, lamps, smoke generator ? Laughing

String some heavy duty fixed diodes across it and that will lower the voltage by .7 each time.

Those ESCs in the picture should work ok although I would make sure they are protected with a fuse.

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Carl thank you very much...yes it is interesting that it wont start the 15 but will start the twelve, after all a 15 size engine is just a bored out 12.

ahh ok thank you for that, i will try out one of these speed controllers very soon....

what kind of fuse would you recommend?

I simple diode? Well im sure Mapplins could supply me with with the necessaries..is there any particular diode or are they all the same? Im not very familiar with electrical circuits.

scratch
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I would use a 2 amp fuse to start with but see if there are any current limitations on the ESC and go by that.

You could try Maplins 3A silicon rectifier diodes QL81C @ 29p each.

They do make a 6A but I think 3A should be okay....

You will need to be careful of the polarity or reverse connect them in pairs.

Each diode in series drops the voltage by .7

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:28 pm

To answer your question about ESCs, AFAIK they are pretty generic devices, with a few variations, namely:
Brushed or brushless motor
Voltage rating
Amperage rating
With or without reverse.

As long as the ESC you have "fits" your application, it should work.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Bill

Thank you very much for that...i cant actually find any information about the Speed controllers i have scratch so i think ill have to buy a couple of diodes to ensure my ESC do not blow up as well as incorporating a fuse...

Funny as the makes of both of them are pretty popular yet i cant find anything on them.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:30 pm

A fuse is an excellent idea; shorted circuits can be nasty. I use a polyswitch - it's sort of a self-resetting breaker. Looks a bit like a capacitor. I think they are used a lot in audio applications.

Diodes would also be a good idea if there's a chance of reverse polarity.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 pm

David, have you tested your ESC that you are using on your diesel yet? As i just hooked mine up today and it worked for about 10 seconds and then stopped and im guessing ive blown it. I really need a 24v ESC to cope with all the power...

Let me know please
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:36 pm

I have just found this...im wondering whether it would work okay, as it states that it could handle the voltage and amperage etc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-24V-36V-10A-DC-Motor-Speed-PWM-Control-Controller-/150595913234?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item2310374612
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Anton, I have tested my electronize ESC and it works fine.

I would be inclined to go for something substantial like my FR15 though I have no knowledge of other alternatives. The standard ESCs on the GVC are Mac5s and Electronize.

http://www.electronize.co.uk/

As you can see they are 15 to 40 amp rated ie pretty resilient and at around £30-45 it may be false economy to try cheaper options.

I should add that I followed Carl's recommendations with plenty of fuses and diodes and started with low values ones and worked upwards.

Sorry but I am limited to V=IR when it comes to electronics.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you very much David...I have decided to go for this which is a manual controller but i hope it will be able to withstand all the power.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390302126889&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_931wt_698

I will definitely be using an ESc like yours on the hymek diesel.

Yes i think im going to have to get to grips with volts, amps, watts and resistance as it would prove very beneficial for me to do so.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 5:45 am

I don't know what happened to the ESC that blew up. Some can be very sensitive to short circuits and reverse polarity rather than a small low current overload. Electronize models are boldly marked as such.

The current drain shouldn't be too high. Many motors used for 'G' scale draw less than 1 amp with a light load.

The manual PWM controllers you posted on e bay are IMO are of limited use. I thought the whole point of a speed controller was to be able to control the speed remotely using a radio control receiver output.

For manual control of a small current motor there are cheap simple diode/transistor devices available.

The big issue is what ever device you use you should have some sort of protection.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 am

I am starting to learn about power and all the issues involved, and what procedures i need to take to make sure that my electronic components are safe. I have decided to make SHUNT have the manual control and the HYMEK will have radio control gear in. Would anyone be able to give me a simple diagram of where to put the diodes/transistors and how to wire them up when i add the ESC into the circuit as i cant afford for my other one to blow up as well.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 8:50 am

You don't really need a diagram although I could do one if absolutely necessary.

A fuse will help protect against overload (up to the fuse rating) and short circuit.

The usual practice is to put the fuse as near as possible to the device you want to protect, in series on the positive side.

A diode (electronic one-way valve) will help 'protect' against reverse polarity but not against overload or short-circuit.
Put the diode in series with the positive feed to the ESC.
The positive feed connects to the anode of the diode and the output (cathode) goes to the positive input of the ESC

You will need a chunky 1 amp minimum, better 5 amps. If you can't source any (ex. Maplins) I will send you some.

Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 7:15 am

I have fallen in love with the Dimension Engineering range of speed controllers. I use them on my Gauge '3' locos. I get them from Technobots.

Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 Neree1pic115

They are more expensive -due to import duties -but I think the are worth the money as they are far more flexible in operation than the Electronize and Mach 5 ESCs.

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 10:00 am

They look very impressive but for me a bit too much, with 25 amps output I could power all my locomotives at the same time!

I also favour the RCS range.
They are very knowledgeable and helpful by e mail and although in Australia they post quite cheaply.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
They look very impressive but for me a bit too much, with 25 amps output I could power all my locomotives at the same time!

I also favour the RCS range.
They are very knowledgeable and helpful by e mail and although in Australia they post quite cheaply.

I just took a look at their website- Dimension Engineering also make a 10 amp version 1 - only $50.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 2:34 pm

I know its completely off topic but if anyone has or knows anyone selling a meths burning live steam 0 gauge loco like the Mamod SL1 or anything similar price range..please let me know Very Happy
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 9:18 am

I watched James May's programme about getting an 00/H0 train to run the ten miles from Bideford to Barnstaple:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0120z75

(not sure if it's acessible outside UK).

The relevance to this thread is that the task (at which May failed in 2009) was run this year as a competition with the operators of Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg (Britain vs Germany - geddit - is there no cliche to which the BBC will not stoop?). As well as track powered models, the German team came up with two "secret weapon" trains, and one was clearly powered by a model aircraft engine coupled to a generator. Obviously, this being a TV programme, no useful details were provided. It was the most spectacularly unsuccessful of the non-conventional entries - the engine exploded after a few hundred metres. The reasons for this were not analysed. A battery powered train suffered gearbox failure on the H0 locomotive; a British entry was said to be powered by a hydrogen fuel cell - once again, no useful detail provided; it did make the distance.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:35 am

fery interstink - but not so funny !

The BBC can stoop as low as it wants in my opinion - it is still the best television broadcast company in creation itself. I have often said that I would wiilingly pay the licence fee for just one special episode of Dr Who. They still have British in the company name too, a rarity these days in itself.

I was surprised to see that it is still being screened, this new "sequel" sounds interesting too was that an addendum to the series ? and can it be seen again. (Doh, a touch of RTFM Smile) Yes it is. Skybox set in readiness. Thanks for the info.

The James May progs are all on Youtube or at least they were and well worth a look.

Congrats on the new job BTW.

Last edited by pjti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:37 am

The highlight for me was seeing his childhood 'Flying Scotsman' (with realistic chuffing sound) make it all the way!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anton's Live Diesel
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next